Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > SVT Forums
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11-30-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
andyjo

Default '98 Cobra possible pulley noise?

My 98 started to make what sounds like a shot pulley noise. It doesnt make it all the time. Usually when I first start the car. Sometimes at idle other times at maybe 2500rpm driving slow, but the noise isnt any different pitch.

Of course it will not make the noise when I have the hood open and trying to find out exactly where it is coming from.

I know this is going to be hard to diagnose, but thought I would post and see if anyone has heard of this.

Any ideas would be great..

Thanks.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
andyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:50 AM   #2
mightysevencobra

Default RE: '98 Cobra possible pulley noise?

i had this annoying *** noise in my 97. after replacing both pulleys(idler and tensioner)the problem was still there. i finally decided to change the whole tensioner assy itself since thats where i could hear the noide coming from and found out it was the tensioner. the pulley doesnt make noise but the spring inside the tensioner does.pain in the *** to pinpoint but got it. no matter how much the tensioner cost its worth not having the annoying noise.
mightysevencobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:50 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1998, 2005, 98, cobra, ford, make, mustang, noise, noises, pulley, pully, tension, tensioner