Texas Regional Chapter Chapter President: ODDYSEY

anyone know a good shop in houston...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:47 AM
dragline
2nd Gear Member

Default anyone know a good shop in houston...

...to install a new rear end in my 2011 gt? thinking about 3.73's to replace my base 3.31's. live in katy but anywhere in the houston area would work.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:46 AM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

I don't have any suggestions of where to get it done, but I will say I think the 3.73 is the perfect gear for this car.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:37 PM
geocomp
2nd Gear Member

Send a PM to Chididdy. He has mentioned a place several times in S197 section about a place around Houston that install gears.

Sorry for the late response.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:23 PM
dragline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by geocomp
Send a PM to Chididdy. He has mentioned a place several times in S197 section about a place around Houston that install gears.

Sorry for the late response.
i'll track him down, thanks. read another thread about someone swapping gears and getting some gear whine going on. getting cold feet - not sure i want to do this just yet. i may just stick to cosmetic mods (wheels/tires) near term.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:52 AM
geocomp
2nd Gear Member

I am in the same boat. At first I wanted 4:10's but I was to scared to get it done becasue of all the stories I have read about gear whine. Then I decided that 4:10's would be to low since I have a supercharger. Now I am thinking 3:73 would be good. Keep us informed as to what you decide to do.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:17 PM
dragline
2nd Gear Member

roger that, geocomp. i did speak to bumbera's and the guy seemed fairly knowledgeable about doing this work and the potential for whiny gears - i'd probably try them first if & when i decide to pull the trigger. no, right now i'm thinking am wheels is all i'm going to do. and only when i wear the factory rubber out first. did you install the S/C yourself or have someone do it?
Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

3.73's definitely if you are S/C'd. I run 3.73's and had them done at Strictly Performance. I have no gear whine. There is also Fastlane on the North side of Houston who does decent work as well.

Most of the gear whine has come from people getting Motive gears instead of the FRPP gears, or just getting a crappy install.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dragline
roger that, geocomp. i did speak to bumbera's and the guy seemed fairly knowledgeable about doing this work and the potential for whiny gears - i'd probably try them first if & when i decide to pull the trigger. no, right now i'm thinking am wheels is all i'm going to do. and only when i wear the factory rubber out first. did you install the S/C yourself or have someone do it?
if it makes any difference bumberas is a sponsor of west houston muscle
dont know if youve seen the other threads ive posted but if you join the forum and go to a show or two and talk to sean (the owner) u might be able to get a discount
but dont quote me on that lol
Old 11-05-2010, 07:31 AM
geocomp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dragline
did you install the S/C yourself or have someone do it?
Yes, installed the Saleen S/C myself. The install was pretty easy because the directions were very well written and very detailed. Took me a week to do it because I only worked on it at night after work. Once installed, took it to Fastlane and had them tune it.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:30 PM
rsb5772
1st Gear Member

Have you talked to Pyle Bros in Baytown. They've done a couple of my trucks and never had any problems for years afterwards.

Quick Reply: anyone know a good shop in houston...