Texas Regional Chapter Chapter President: ODDYSEY

TEXAS Emission Test HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 03:03 AM
meangorilla

Default TEXAS Emission Test HELP

Hello all,

I've got a 2008 Mustang GT and can't pass Texas emission test. My car has the following mods:

C&L RACER CAI - COLD AIR INTAKE
SCT/BRENSPEED TUNE 93 OCTANE
MAC LT HEADERS
MAC PRO CHAMBER
PYPES HIGHT FLOW CATS
MAGNAFLOW MAGNAPACKS

PROBLEM:
o2 sensors not ready
o2 heater not ready
Evap Not ready
Catalyst not ready

History is I bought the car used (6800 miles) and the guy had off road exhaust (no cats). Since then (2yrs then some) I've been trying to get this car to pass Texas emission test (14,315 miles). As stated above I do have catalaytic convertors on now.

No Check engine lights what so ever. Been through 5 tunes now with no success, and "YES, REAR o2 SENSORS ARE ON". Tried replacing rear o2s just to see if it would resolve the issue, but nothing. Tried putting factory cold air intake on with stock tune (orignal factory tune settings) and still no good. Took car to FORD dealer to ensure ECU (computer) was working correctly and it was. Had another guy run a diagnostic to ensure all sensors were monitoring and working and yes they were. Last year inspected 2 times with same results and finally found a mechanic that hooked me up due to my frustration. I've uplugged the battery more than once to reset everything. Driven the Ford specified drive cycle many times. Put more than 3500 miles trying to get all to go "Ready". Checked the o2 sensors wiring, connections, and tightness. Checked entire exhaust for leaks. Ordered o2 sensor extensions to place directly into the CATS and then installed rear o2 sensors. "This is suppose to pull the o2 sensors out of the direct exhaust from the CAT to assist with normal upstream and downstream changes to allow the vehicle to go Ready". Still the same issues; all not ready. I've read, called and driven to shops to help, but never no resolution. The only real answer was from an exhaust guy in North Austin that told me he had the same problem and even though his car was setup just like other peoples he had to install an o2 simulator to resolve his issue. I've not been able to locate any simulators, but I'm at my wits end and will do whatever. I'm even thinking about going to a junk yard and buying a complete exhaust with headers and taking the custom exhaust off to resolve the problem. PLEASE HELP WITH ANYTHING YOU MAY HAVE TO OFFER. I've tried every trick, test, drive cycle that i've read and was told to try with failure. I need this car to be legal to drive and don't want someone else to have the headache when i sell it.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:44 AM
geocomp
2nd Gear Member

I understand your frustration, I was having a similar issue. I called Breenspeed and they sent me an emission safe tune.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:59 AM
meangorilla

I tried that as well and still the emission friendly tune didn't work. I'm wondering if it's the Pypes High FLow Cats are not gonna work with the 2008 Mustang GT emission correctly.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:00 AM
ModMe
1st Gear Member

He may have put dummy plugs (MIL eliminators) on the O2 sensors. This is a common mod to eliminate the CEL and pass emissions with no cats
Old 06-28-2011, 12:33 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

go to a non emissions county. Hays county is one example...
Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

can you go elsewhere? I'm in Montgomery county and cannot go to another county for inspection...I play hockey with most of the police force around here and this seems to be a general consensus...
Old 06-28-2011, 04:27 PM
ModMe
1st Gear Member

pretty sure you have to get inspected in the county your car is registered. Otherwise kinda defeats the purpose.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:42 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

You can inspect in any County you like. Check out the DPS site for more info. I know it can be done because I did it.