Texas Regional Chapter Chapter President: ODDYSEY

'14 GT500 609mi ENGINE FAILURE

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:11 PM
OldChevyGuy

Default '14 GT500 609mi ENGINE FAILURE

My daughter had been wanting a muscle car. She had owned a Fox Body and a IROC Camaro in high school.

She studied for some time. I had told her I really felt the GT500 was a better buy that the ZL1 Camaro.

She purchased a black/black in early March.

Mid April while driving the boys to wrestling practice, the check engine light came on. She called the dealership, they advised to bring the car bac. She noticed on the drive back, they car had a terrible miss.

Burned #2 piston. Let the Game Begin.

They first ran a "Cap Cost' on the damage. Ford claimed it was more cost effective for them to overhul at the local shop level.

Sorry but I dont feel you pay $70k for a car, drive it 609 miles in 5 weeks and Jimmy at the deaklership can build the engine near what the factory boyz can.

We then started a claim with Ford. Very nice people, but no results.

A couple more weeks go by, We call the Claim number and they said they have decided to replace the entire engine. The claim Ford wants the entire engine back to study Root Cause.

I feel Ford needs the entire car to find root cause.

We have tried to get a complete car, or a full refund......Ford has said No Way.

What are your thoughts?
Old 06-03-2014, 05:20 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

While it may not seem fair I'm quite sure the warranty provides for FORD to have sole discretion when deciding on a warranty claim.

As for the factory building a better motor than "jimmy" ask yourself "who built the motor that only lasted 600 miles the first time?" Not saying "jimmy" is better, but at the moment the motor he hasn't built is better than the one the factory did.

Take the brand new motor. Numbers matching won't be and issue unless she keeps the car for 50+ years.

Consider your daughter lucky as most get "jimmy" and she got a new, I assume, long block.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Andover Stang
1st Gear Member

Does it suck?Yes....

But unfortunately these things happen.. Take the new motor and she
will probably never have another issue...
Old 06-04-2014, 02:32 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Replacing the motor should be sufficient. You can't just get a new car. I've never heard of a stock gt500 burning a piston. did she put 87 octane in it?

Don't buy a $70k car to drive the boys to wrestling practice, who does that? Women tend to be more logical than men, more practical. that's why they buy 4 door sedans, suv's and minivans.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:40 PM
OldChevyGuy

Originally Posted by moosestang
Replacing the motor should be sufficient. You can't just get a new car. I've never heard of a stock gt500 burning a piston. did she put 87 octane in it?

Don't buy a $70k car to drive the boys to wrestling practice, who does that? Women tend to be more logical than men, more practical. that's why they buy 4 door sedans, suv's and minivans.
Seriously? What car do you feel she should get? She filled up at the same place she gets fuel for her Zo6. Both boys dont fit in her Z06, so she took the GT.

We have never heard of it either, that was the reason for the post.

Are you related to the guys at the dealership? They seem to have your mentality.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:41 PM
OldChevyGuy

Originally Posted by Andover Stang
Does it suck?Yes....

But unfortunately these things happen.. Take the new motor and she
will probably never have another issue...
I agree 100%.

Ford is now saying 12 more weeks on the new bullet.