Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Is GT base good enough or GT premium?
GT base mayne, savin' $ like a Boss 302!
22.22%
GT Premium or GTFO, I gotta have it Permed up nome sayin'?
77.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

How important is premium edition?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 09:54 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Default How important is premium edition?

I'm planning to factory order a s550 as soon as they start taking orders, this will be my first new car. All my other mustangs I have bought used, though I lucked out and got GT premium editions with the color I wanted.

A while ago I was looking at a 2012 GT base and everything about that car made me feel sick. (I think mainly it was white, and I like Black and Ruby/Redfire cars the best) and had horrible wheels, and then you get inside and the seats/dash etc all feel like cheap quality.

I been reading a lot of reviews on how the s550 interior is amazing, so I'm hoping i can get a red or black GT Premium....I feel like all the little touches that premium edition delivers makes the car way better (considering you will be sitting inside when you're driving)

I know waiting a couple years and buying used is the smartest option, but this is 50 year anniversary of Mustang and a whole new body style, I just have to have it on release!
what do you think?

Last edited by RazorGT; 12-17-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:49 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

If yer gonna do it. do it right, go premium.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I'm kind of stymied by the question. What's the point of the poll...?

It's personal choice and also depends on what YOU want. If you don't care for the options that the premium offers over the base doesn't then you can go with the base model. Just don't buy a base model and expect to upgrade it with premium options after the fact. It's never cost effective.

Buy what you can afford too. If you can only afford a base model with little to no options and you're not okay with that...then you can't really afford the car you want.

Personally, for me, I buy near the top of the line of whatever model car I'm looking at. I normally buy new because I am very picky and I don't want some one else's problem(s) or issues. If I can't afford the near top of the line model, I drop down to the next tier for the car I want.

I would rather get a fully loaded car with a smaller engine versus the stripped down version with the bigger motor.

Examples: 2000 V6 Mustang Premium was first new car. Bought the premium v6 because I could only afford the Base GT.

2006 Escape XLT V6 fully loaded (except for upgraded audio system - didn't care for it)

2008 GT Premium with everything minus Shaker 1000 system. I can do better aftermarket on that.

2013 VW Turbo Beetle with everything except for Nav. Aftermarket OEM is actually easy to do in it.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:55 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
I'm kind of stymied by the question. What's the point of the poll...?

It's personal choice and also depends on what YOU want. If you don't care for the options that the premium offers over the base doesn't then you can go with the base model. Just don't buy a base model and expect to upgrade it with premium options after the fact. It's never cost effective.

Buy what you can afford too. If you can only afford a base model with little to no options and you're not okay with that...then you can't really afford the car you want.

Personally, for me, I buy near the top of the line of whatever model car I'm looking at. I normally buy new because I am very picky and I don't want some one else's problem(s) or issues. If I can't afford the near top of the line model, I drop down to the next tier for the car I want.

I would rather get a fully loaded car with a smaller engine versus the stripped down version with the bigger motor.

Examples: 2000 V6 Mustang Premium was first new car. Bought the premium v6 because I could only afford the Base GT.

2006 Escape XLT V6 fully loaded (except for upgraded audio system - didn't care for it)

2008 GT Premium with everything minus Shaker 1000 system. I can do better aftermarket on that.

2013 VW Turbo Beetle with everything except for Nav. Aftermarket OEM is actually easy to do in it.
I agree that its best to get what you want, but something about choosing a v6 over a v8 just to have fancy interior sounds kinda gay.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:51 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Since the onset of the S197 Mustang in 05 the GT premium is where it's at. Before that Ford did offer different models of the Mustangs but the changes from "entry option" to best option were often only features that people wanted. Ex Mach system (460/1000) over ford factory. Cruse control over none. Leather seats over cloth. Premium wheels over standard. Each of these added to the price, but could generally be selected on their own and didn't change the quality or feel of the car. However that all changed in 2005. The base models seemed extremely basic and had an extremely cheap and "plastic" look to them. The wheels were ugly, sound was mediocre, and inside was bland as heck, and no real options were available, wanted options, then fork over the cash for the premium.

The premium, in a way, is Fords way of saying, screw you, we'll give you a "cheaper option" but if you wanna have a complete car, then you're gonna pay extra for it. In a way it's genius, but is also extremely unfair, especially considering the prices of these cars. $31,000 is by no means cheap, and it's not even the complete car, you have to tack on another $1000+ just to get a complete car that you can add options too which then jack the car up even more.

In short, I'd get a premium, but I wouldn't but it new. Get one of those very lightly used cars with less than 10,000 miles on them. It'll still be "new" per say and will have all the warranties and everything, but will come at or slightly below the cost of a "base model". And some dealers will still do add ons to these cars.

Last edited by jthorn9; 12-17-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:36 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

It all depends on what you are gonna do with the car.

If you are gonna drive it as is get the premium,
but If you are gonna do like some people here and replace everything (like wheels, radio, seats, shifter, suspension, exhaust, hood.....) get the base model and save some cash.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by RazorGT
I agree that its best to get what you want, but something about choosing a v6 over a v8 just to have fancy interior sounds kinda gay.
You obviously haven't been new car shopping...

The interior is minor, i'm talking options like track pack, upgraded brakes, better gearing, all of that on a premium vs basic. By your logic, why bother getting the premium anything? THAT sounds kinda gay.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
It all depends on what you are gonna do with the car.

If you are gonna drive it as is get the premium,
but If you are gonna do like some people here and replace everything (like wheels, radio, seats, shifter, suspension, exhaust, hood.....) get the base model and save some cash.
That too is a very good point. I do mod but I don't completely change the car so for me. I'd rather just go premium loaded.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:09 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

I look at it as, Could'a Would'a Shoud'a. If your thinking Premium, you should go Premium.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:30 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

@J I think your idea is the best, wait a couple years, snag a premium for a good price!

Last edited by RazorGT; 12-18-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: How important is premium edition?