Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

What do you think about the weight of the 2015 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

I agree that the Mustang's survival is based on U.S. sales. There is no way they will discontinue a good seller. They have build a car to c
Old 08-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

I agree that the Mustang's survival is based on U.S. sales. There is no way they will discontinue a good seller. They have to build a car (if they are smart) to compete with the Challenger and Camaro.

I would not be worried about half shaft breakage. I bet that very shortly, an enterprising aftermarket seller will see the opportunity to supply better parts for those who are increasing horsepower.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Genxer
I agree that the Mustang's survival is based on U.S. sales. There is no way they will discontinue a good seller. They have to build a car (if they are smart) to compete with the Challenger and Camaro.

I would not be worried about half shaft breakage. I bet that very shortly, an enterprising aftermarket seller will see the opportunity to supply better parts for those who are increasing horsepower.
Never say never...it's all about $$.

If sales suck there is always the possibility of losing a nameplate and repackaging it. The Ford Probe was originally considered to try and replace the Mustang in the 1988 because muscle cars were seen as losing favor. That of course didn't fly and didn't sell well so instead of the Mustang, the Probe was nixed in the late 90's. Chevy nixed the Camaro in 2002 for similar reasons $$.

This is the first time ford has gone global with the Mustang nameplate/platform. The game is different now since they also have take into account European laws and MPG expectations. That also means the R&D put into the car has that taken into account. Sales have to be good in the U.S. and abroad to justify that extra R&D.

The halfshaft problem was with Stock cars, not modified ones. I don't think it's a good idea to have to buy aftermarket parts to fix an OEM part on a stock car. If you're adding power, then it's on you if the OEM parts break (gotta pay to play...).
Old 08-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Never say never...it's all about $$.

If sales suck there is always the possibility of losing a nameplate and repackaging it. The Ford Probe was originally considered to try and replace the Mustang in the 1988 because muscle cars were seen as losing favor. That of course didn't fly and didn't sell well so instead of the Mustang, the Probe was nixed in the late 90's. Chevy nixed the Camaro in 2002 for similar reasons $$.

This is the first time ford has gone global with the Mustang nameplate/platform. The game is different now since they also have take into account European laws and MPG expectations. That also means the R&D put into the car has that taken into account. Sales have to be good in the U.S. and abroad to justify that extra R&D.

The halfshaft problem was with Stock cars, not modified ones. I don't think it's a good idea to have to buy aftermarket parts to fix an OEM part on a stock car. If you're adding power, then it's on you if the OEM parts break (gotta pay to play...).
Good points. I think the inevitable interest in tracking this car will motivate the market to supply better drivetrain parts than stock. I do agree that the OEM shafts had better be ample because people will beat on them. Adding power? That's almost a given for many owners but yes it's on them if things break. Smart engineers build a margin in part strength but time will tell where failures actually occur.