Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Top Gear reviews the new Stang, and they like it

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 08:22 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Genxer
The 3.73, radiator and brakes certainly make it appealing for a person to start with.
Agreed
Old 10-31-2014, 08:55 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Genxer said: "It was made for the masses, comfortable. Racers change suspension, tires etc anyway. The 3.73, radiator and brakes certainly make it appealing for a person to start with."

Good point. And I agree.

However, Ford should throw us a bone here instead of charging us over $3000 more for the Track Pack. Give us only the parts that are whorthwhile and reduce the price of this package.

The first thing Ford can do is not call it a Performance Pack. It is far from being Track or Performance ready. They should call it "Street Upgrade" since it is only suited for the masses who rarely track their cars.

The next thing Ford can do is reduce the Track Pack price by only giving us the Torsen, the rear gears, the radiator, the nifty cooling and the Brembo brake hardware. The Track Pack shocks anti-roll bars suck so Ford can keep those. The tires and rims aren't much better over base GT Pirelis and rims so Ford can keep those two.
Not putting these parts in this package could reduce the package cost by a $1000 or so
This way, the end user can go to the aftermarket for these parts which they are going to replace anyway. Why make us pay for marginally "upgraded" suspension parts that are only street tuned anyway?

The third thing Ford can do is work on those Brembo brakes more. I'm not sure how ABS is tuned for performance, but Chevy did do a better job on theirs than what Ford did. In this head-to-head comparison, the SS-1LE Camaro ABS handled the rough spots better without activating when it should not have.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 10-31-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

What would be nice is the ability to add parts cafeteria style. I'm considering a buy next year and to be honest a track ready car isn't an imperative for me. I would ideally get a 3.55 rear GT with upgrade wheels to drive. Then one day drop in a matched suspension kit from the aftermarket with springs, shocks and sway bars.

What excites me is all the aftermarket choices even now, and that should expand over time. With the IRS this car is a great platform that can be made into whatever we want.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:08 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Genxer
What would be nice is the ability to add parts cafeteria style. I'm considering a buy next year and to be honest a track ready car isn't an imperative for me. I would ideally get a 3.55 rear GT with upgrade wheels to drive. Then one day drop in a matched suspension kit from the aftermarket with springs, shocks and sway bars.

What excites me is all the aftermarket choices even now, and that should expand over time. With the IRS this car is a great platform that can be made into whatever we want.
I too would love the ability to pick and choose factory upgrades a la carte without the requirement of having to purchase a package or whole trim level just to get the few upgrades I want.

For example: If I were to build and price my own S550, I would immediately individually select the Torsen diff, the 3.55:1 rear gear set (3.55:1 for the compromise between 3.31:1 and 3.73:1), and the upgraded radiator.

But I doubt Ford would give me that choice because if Ford did, they would be losing out of pushing their unwanted "upgrade " Performance Pack shocks, springs, anti-roll bars which do not make much of a performance difference over the base suspension parts. Ford knows that I would just go to the aftermarket and buy the Konis or Steedas or Whitelines etc.

With this thought in mind, I wonder how many people actually spend money on the FRPP shocks, springs, rollbars, etc. when there are much better aftermarket and non-FRPP parts that are available for similar or even cheaper prices?

Last edited by JIM5.0; 11-01-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:01 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Are there any 305 wide rear tires that are matched to the new model with wide enough 19" or 20" rims??? It kills me to see the magazines and videos still comparing the lame Ford performance packages with that of the better parts on the Camaro.

Can't one aftermarket company like Steeda actually offer a car that has all the right fit out suspension and chassis stiffening parts and widest, best possible summer rubber??

Then the magazines could actually list numbers that represent the Mustangs performance with properly fit out high performance track items like GM seems to be able to do without flinching. Erik