Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

What is it with Ford and crappy shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 11:20 AM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs down

I agree with you Guys. Dam! Ford, they had enough time to do something better, probably they have the wrong Engineers, FORD Engineers should had set their minds to beat the 1LE. I think they went the cheap way with parts: cheap shocks, small tires and small wheels. I already test the 1LE, and with little cash GM did something great. Now new Mustang owners need to go to the aftermarket to improve their rides. I hate that FORD saves money and we have to pay for it.

I also had to improve their trash shocks on the prior model. Apparently FORD did not learned the lesson.

The bast majority that we buy Mustangs if looking for sport driving, performance handling, we are not looking for a Buick soft drive.

Come on FORD not even with a new IRS, you were able to do better.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:10 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by M3hunter
I agree with you Guys. Dam! Ford, they had enough time to do something better, probably they have the wrong Engineers, FORD Engineers should had set their minds to beat the 1LE. I think they went the cheap way with parts: cheap shocks, small tires and small wheels. I already test the 1LE, and with little cash GM did something great. Now new Mustang owners need to go to the aftermarket to improve their rides. I hate that FORD saves money and we have to pay for it.

I also had to improve their trash shocks on the prior model. Apparently FORD did not learned the lesson.

The bast majority that we buy Mustangs if looking for sport driving, performance handling, we are not looking for a Buick soft drive.

Come on FORD not even with a new IRS, you were able to do better.
I agree. If I want that soft DD comfort, I would've bought a luxury car. I bought a Mustang for performance and the performance feel, even if that feel is rougher than a Caddy or a Lincoln.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by M3hunter
The vast majority that we buy Mustangs if looking for sport driving, performance handling, we are not looking for a Buick soft drive.
I don't think you can make that assumption. Handling is not a priority for the straightline guys, or those into appearance and car shows, or infotainment excess, or even the people for whom the Mustang is a neat car that can still fill most of the requirements of daily driving.

The obvious comparison here is the 1LE Camaro, which was billed from the outset as a car "for the 2% most demanding drivers", this being before the Z/28 came back. If you can accept the notion that people who would buy a less aggressive sport performance package would be happy with something not quite as hardcore as the 1LE, you're probably looking at the S550's PP option or something comparable to it and realistically figure that it's a package for maybe 30%. Keep in mind that there are more people who buy Mustangs do not have any message board presence than there are people who do.

At minimum, matching the 1LE would have required better shocks & struts and bigger/better tires and wider wheels. And maybe some retuning of bushings here and there.

By bigger, I am NOT referring to the wheel diameter.

I'm waiting for the 2015's to start showing up at track days so I can see how well I fare against them.

Norm
Old 12-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by darksky1984
The GT500 is just a power improver. They don't come with better suspension, just a faster motor. Also all mustangs come with the crappy P-zero tires that get compared to cars with better tires from the factory. I feel if they were to put the same tire that the camero had on the mustang it would have had a lot closer if not the same time on the road course as the camero.
Yes, the GT500 comes with better suspension. most of the components have a higher durometer than the GT version as well improved spring rates. What do you think FRPP parts are? Basically the GT500 version retail packaged for the GT. I've never like the OEM tires on most cars. They are too cushy or underperforming for the sake of comfort.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by akiba17
GT500? Why would I want all the additional weight of a bigger engine, supercharger and plumbing on a handling car? Light weight man, there's a reason the Miata dominates in road courses.
You seriously went there, Miata vs Mustang? Two totally different classes of car. That's like the other extreme of comparing a Mustang Gt to a Vette... totally pointless.