Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Water in door panel after wash/rain?

Old 12-17-2014, 09:03 AM
thay83

Default Water in door panel after wash/rain?

Maybe I'm just being over protective of my new car, but if I roll down the windows 3-4 days AFTER I wash the car (or if it rains), the glass will come back WET when rolled back up.

I realize it's probably just moisture trapped between squeegee layers of the weather stripping, but in my mind the interior of my door panel is a humid swamp of old car wash moisture, slowing rusting into oblivion...

This is on the new 2015 model so I was also wondering if it's an issue with the weather stripping.. or maybe Ford just needed to design some better air holes in the door?

Let me know what your thoughts are or if you've seen/heard of this before.
Thanks!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:17 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thay83
Maybe I'm just being over protective of my new car, but if I roll down the windows 3-4 days AFTER I wash the car (or if it rains), the glass will come back WET when rolled back up.

I realize it's probably just moisture trapped between squeegee layers of the weather stripping, but in my mind the interior of my door panel is a humid swamp of old car wash moisture, slowing rusting into oblivion...

This is on the new 2015 model so I was also wondering if it's an issue with the weather stripping.. or maybe Ford just needed to design some better air holes in the door?

Thanks!
the interior of the door is a wet zone, and is designed as such. The weatherstripping can't be a perfect seal, if it was you'd never be able to roll the windows up or down. and yeah, the part which touches the glass has a felt material on it which can stay moist for a while.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:15 AM
ZGrand
2nd Gear Member

3-4 days does seem excessive. Is it both windows?
Old 12-17-2014, 01:10 PM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

The water drains down into the door sill area. When it rains, the water drains through the door into there. It is designed to do that. If you are getting water puddling up inside the cabin where you put your feet, I would be concerned. I doubt this is happening. I can see where your concern comes from too because I noticed this happening recently as well but that is because I had the car garaged for a long time and really didn't have it out in the rain a lot.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:53 PM
thay83

Originally Posted by jz78817
the interior of the door is a wet zone, and is designed as such. The weatherstripping can't be a perfect seal, if it was you'd never be able to roll the windows up or down. and yeah, the part which touches the glass has a felt material on it which can stay moist for a while.
A felt-like material probably explains it perfectly.. that hadn't occurred to me. I assumed it was a series of rubber seals that deflect water from pouring inside the door in between it and the glass. Also hadn't heard of the interior door being a wet zone, though I'm sure that explains the sheets of plastic you'll usually find on the inside to separate the outer door from the inner paneling.

Originally Posted by ZGrand
3-4 days does seem excessive. Is it both windows?
Yes it's both windows. The cool and cloudy conditions here recently probably prolong the drying.

Originally Posted by amptor
The water drains down into the door sill area. When it rains, the water drains through the door into there. It is designed to do that. If you are getting water puddling up inside the cabin where you put your feet, I would be concerned. I doubt this is happening. I can see where your concern comes from too because I noticed this happening recently as well but that is because I had the car garaged for a long time and really didn't have it out in the rain a lot.
Nope, no water inside the car! I'd be back at the dealers lot before the first rain drop ever hit the floor. Just that new car paranoia about that moisture in the door.

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 12-17-2014, 02:53 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Open your doors and look at the bottom edges and confirm the little drain holes / slots are open.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:40 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Everything's normal and nothing is gonna rust anytime soon.
Just drive the car and have a blast.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:23 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Also hadn't heard of the interior door being a wet zone, though I'm sure that explains the sheets of plastic you'll usually find on the inside to separate the outer door from the inner paneling.
yes, they're called water shields. I think you can guess why...
Old 12-18-2014, 08:37 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Thanks!
Hi thay83,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I see these awesome guys have answered your questions, so I just wanted to stop by and congratulate you on your new ‘Stang.

Deysha
Old 12-21-2014, 09:45 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Rained on me the other day. Had this same problem. Water will not drain out of the door.

Can someone post where I need to look to see these door drain holes? I need to unclog mine.

EDIT: WHOOPS! Please ignore. Wrong forum. My doors are the 2011-2014 S197, not S550 doors

Last edited by JIM5.0; 12-21-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water in door panel after wash/rain?