Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Test drove a GT today

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 08:54 PM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

Default Test drove a GT today

I wanted to just look at a GT today and maybe sit in one so we stopped at a dealer. The next thing you know I am taking it on a short test drive. I didn't get to check everything out, but came away with a few impressions. My perspective is maybe different from some of you guys because I've never planted my butt in a Stang before. I've driven a Camaro a couple of times. I only sat in a Challenger but hated the big car feel. The Chally's body style seems a little too mundane for me too. I've been driving imports for years and that is my frame of reference.

The car they brought out was a premium GT auto. My wife and I loved the seats. Good support yet not bolstered too much for getting in and out all the time. I will say that the rear seats are all but useless for adults, save for short trips here and there. My wife is 5' 7" and she had to slide down in the rear seat to keep from touching her head to the headliner. The sales guy was 6' 11" and as a passenger in the front, his knees were nearly chest level with me but they didn't hit the dash. He claimed to be able to drive it with no problem. Young kids may be fine in the back but long trips may not be a good idea (the price to pay for having a fastback). The interior has a few cheap plastic parts but not bad at all. It looks like Ford did a quality job.

I could see the hood. Strange comment I know, but you Honda guys know what I am talking about. You know it's 'Murican when you sit in it. Driving it didn't take a lot of adjustment. It felt pretty natural, and compared to the Camaro, it had much better visibility. I also liked the tilt and telescoping wheel. Nice touch to have for a sports car, you think?! I think the trunk has ample room for a couple of big suitcases, the only caveat is getting them through the smallish opening. It is deep but not that tall (again, thanks fastback!)

I pulled the GT on the road and drove it normally trying to get a feel for the car and it felt stable but very forgiving on the bumps, compared to driving my coilover equipped car, duh! Road noise was more than I expected, however. My 11 year old Honda is quieter. It could be that someone had too much air in the tires and/or it was tire related noise. Of course if you want quiet then get a Mercedes. I only got in the gas once. It pulled smoothly and felt good. The exhaust note was not very evident until romping on the throttle. Not loud at all, very tame note. Gear heads will be making mods pretty quick in this dept.

I was expecting a more rawboned beast but found it to be a comfortable, mostly refined beast.

The salesman told me to try the Ecoboost sometime because I would be very surprised at how well it drives. I'm sure, but if a turbo 4 cyl was in my sights, then I would first have other options to consider in the marketplace. There are a LOT of EB cars for sale too. I think Ford is taking a big gamble doing that here in the U.S. If they manage to sell them all then I will be impressed.

Overall, I like it and for my preferences and budget seems like a compelling choice in a V8 coupe.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:29 AM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

So, I take it you didnt buy it
Old 02-02-2015, 12:32 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

I was also really surprised with how the 5.0 pulled. Coming from cars with 200 or less crank HP all my life, I was expecting the leap to the 400+ HP Coyote to be wild, but it was surprisingly tame yet mean when you need it to be.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:59 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I love my new 2015 GT
Old 02-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI
I was also really surprised with how the 5.0 pulled. Coming from cars with 200 or less crank HP all my life, I was expecting the leap to the 400+ HP Coyote to be wild, but it was surprisingly tame yet mean when you need it to be.
I had the same thoughts. No I didn't buy it... Yet. Overall I still like it. The pluses exceed the minuses for me. At this price point I really don't see anything else that appeals to me. Especially with a V8.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

^^^ I'm sure the tunes will love playing with the EcoBoost 4 cyl .... It's going to be a hot car!