Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

2015 GT Premium Hard to Find?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Sailor

Default 2015 GT Premium Hard to Find?

I've been trolling most of the nationwide auto sales sources, like CarFax, etc. plus local dealer sites, looking for a 2015 GT Coupe Premium automatic w/Nav. Those are the features I definitely, absolutely want. I have to lay hands on one and drive it before I can decide whether I want one or not. Scarce as a virgin on a college campus. Why are they so scarce? Maybe Ford doesn't ship many due to lack of demand? Is Ford cutting back production to get ready to roll out 2016 models?

Even the 2014s with the same specs are pretty scarce.

Any thoughts? Is there something that doesn't work well with this combination of features?
Old 03-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Try the Ford.com site,where you find all cars in your region.
Shouldn't be that hard to find one with automatic for a test drive-that should tell you if you want one,regardless of whether it has nav or not.
You might have to order one with the features that you want.Most GTs are built with a manual trans.
Ford is busy building 2015s.No lack of demand.It will be summer before they think of 2016s.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:46 AM
wildsailor

Around here in SE Michigan that seems like a pretty common combination with the exception of the addition of either the Performance Package or 50-Year Package (or both).
Old 03-12-2015, 11:46 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camster
Try the Ford.com site,where you find all cars in your region.
Shouldn't be that hard to find one with automatic for a test drive-that should tell you if you want one,regardless of whether it has nav or not.
You might have to order one with the features that you want.Most GTs are built with a manual trans.
Ford is busy building 2015s.No lack of demand.It will be summer before they think of 2016s.
Completely agree with this quote. My dealer has 20 Mustangs on the lot right now. They are starting to stack up like cord wood. However it seems Ford is pushing the turbo 4 over the GT but I have seen GTs equipped like you describe. I would just order it like you want. The automatics seem to come equipped with all the insurance nannies that are all the rage now and if you don't want that extra stuff, you will have to special order.

Last edited by proeagles; 03-12-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:33 PM
wildsailor

Just to clear a perception up..."Ford" does not push anything to the dealer lots for sale. All the vehicles you see on the lot are ordered the same as if you ordered something. The Inventory Manager orders what he or she thinks will sell the best and the fleet on the lot seems to match the personality of this person more than anything else.

My local dealer, for instance, has all automatics of everything and they tend to be loaded. 8 miles away is another Ford dealer and their lot seems to be a mix of autos and manuals and a mix of trim levels. 15 miles away is another dealer that seems to order the performance package of everything with manual transmissions. This dealer usually has Focus ST1's, Mustang V6 manuals, GT manuals with PP, etc. It really depends on the personality of the person placing the orders.

As for pushing the 2.3L over the 5.0L, yup, but not from an inventory perspective but from price. $7k more for the 5.0L over the 2.3L EB? Good golly, I bet the whole engine doesn't cost that much. So, yea, Ford is pushing the EB but through price not stock.

Just an FYI...
Old 03-12-2015, 11:16 PM
boomer46

Originally Posted by wildsailor
Just to clear a perception up..."Ford" does not push anything to the dealer lots for sale. All the vehicles you see on the lot are ordered the same as if you ordered something. The Inventory Manager orders what he or she thinks will sell the best and the fleet on the lot seems to match the personality of this person more than anything else.

My local dealer, for instance, has all automatics of everything and they tend to be loaded. 8 miles away is another Ford dealer and their lot seems to be a mix of autos and manuals and a mix of trim levels. 15 miles away is another dealer that seems to order the performance package of everything with manual transmissions. This dealer usually has Focus ST1's, Mustang V6 manuals, GT manuals with PP, etc. It really depends on the personality of the person placing the orders.

As for pushing the 2.3L over the 5.0L, yup, but not from an inventory perspective but from price. $7k more for the 5.0L over the 2.3L EB? Good golly, I bet the whole engine doesn't cost that much. So, yea, Ford is pushing the EB but through price not stock.

Just an FYI...
I checked every dealer in the St Louis, MO area, where I'm buying, which the city dealers only had 2-3 of Mustangs max in their inventories. The outlying townships had a bunch of the S550's in stock. One dealer even had 25 of them. Out of all I checked though there were only 3 cars in the whole St Louis area that had what I wanted. Color was not a priority. I ended up with a Race Red 2015 w/the PP, Shaker option, Navigation, enhanced security & a couple of options I didn't even want, the assisted cruise control & the backup beeper when you get to close to something. Dealer gave me a good discount too, $1500 more then the X-Plan. I figured why wait just for the color, which wasn't a priority anyway. I'll tell you one thing though, ALL the dealers had an abundance of the Eco-boost versions in stock. Either they aren't selling or people are opting for them over the GT & V6 that they're keeping a healthy stock of them. I'm thinking the former, they're just not selling that many. That's IMHO though.

Last edited by boomer46; 03-12-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:57 AM
rmhockman

Default 2015 Mustang GT Premium

Originally Posted by Sailor
I've been trolling most of the nationwide auto sales sources, like CarFax, etc. plus local dealer sites, looking for a 2015 GT Coupe Premium automatic w/Nav. Those are the features I definitely, absolutely want. I have to lay hands on one and drive it before I can decide whether I want one or not. Scarce as a virgin on a college campus. Why are they so scarce? Maybe Ford doesn't ship many due to lack of demand? Is Ford cutting back production to get ready to roll out 2016 models?

Even the 2014s with the same specs are pretty scarce.

Any thoughts? Is there something that doesn't work well with this combination of features?
There are a couple coupes just like your description that have in languishing in my dealers lot for over a month now, in fact I have just taken delivery of my long ordered 2015 GT Premium convertible, with all of the goodies and believe me, once you have driven one you will want to take it home with you.

My trade was an almost identical 2013 GT Premium convertible, which I dearly loved but I was astounded at the difference between the two. The 2015 is far and away a superior machine that is more solid, it outrides and out handles my former ride and the interior is fabulous. The additional engine power is obvious and you can instantly feel the difference. mine is a silver 50th year appearance addition with black leather. They have got a winner this time around.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Sailor

Originally Posted by rmhockman
There are a couple coupes just like your description that have in languishing in my dealers lot for over a month now, in fact I have just taken delivery of my long ordered 2015 GT Premium convertible, with all of the goodies and believe me, once you have driven one you will want to take it home with you.

My trade was an almost identical 2013 GT Premium convertible, which I dearly loved but I was astounded at the difference between the two. The 2015 is far and away a superior machine that is more solid, it outrides and out handles my former ride and the interior is fabulous. The additional engine power is obvious and you can instantly feel the difference. mine is a silver 50th year appearance addition with black leather. They have got a winner this time around.

Thanks for the positive comments on the 2015. At times I waiver and think, well, I'll just buy a 2014....they're around. But the 2015 is a different animal and your report just reinforces that.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:10 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Wow this is so amazing, cause the very first one I found around the only zip I know in CA 90210, is a Magnetic, GT Premium, Nav, 50th Anv, and auto.
As was said above just go to Ford's web page, and click on search inventory.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Sailor

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
Wow this is so amazing, cause the very first one I found around the only zip I know in CA 90210, is a Magnetic, GT Premium, Nav, 50th Anv, and auto.
As was said above just go to Ford's web page, and click on search inventory.
Thanks, AK. That's Beverly Hills. Since I'm in N. Calif., a bit too far for a test drive. But, I'll take all the advice here and check the Ford site.

Quick Reply: 2015 GT Premium Hard to Find?