Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Wins and misses w/ the '15 GT

Old 08-27-2015, 04:11 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by squishbang
I have a Premium w/ the Performance pack

misses:
*the trip gauges - the MPG calculations are a mystery, I honestly have no idea how it's figuring out my average mpg. Also, for people who do Rally drives the distance gauge down to 2 decimals would be awesome so you can get a real gauge on how far you've gone. Some times you need to be able to measure under 50 yards and you can't do that.

*Traction control - let me adjust how out of alignment I want to let the car get! TC kicks in pretty quickly just as the fun is starting. If you happen to know what you're doing this isn't desirable. It also means you have to turn TC off on the track, but this puts everything on the driver. How about some middle ground? say 5 or 10 degrees before the Nanny takes over?
Overall I'm still really surprised that this is a Mustang. It's amazingly awesome.
First I have never seen a car with hundreths of a mile on the odometer.

And I thought the driving modes sport+ and track, were supposed to allow more fun before the nannies kick in, are you saying that is not so?
I'm kind of curious about that and hope others will chime in, as to if these modes actually work like they should.

Last edited by AK_Kayaker; 08-27-2015 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:12 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

*the red crash lights - kinda cool, but why aren't they also a shift indicator? Or did I miss something?
If you have the MyColor feature for the gauges then the backlighting of the tach will turn red when you hit the rev limiter.

*the trip gauges - the MPG calculations are a mystery, I honestly have no idea how it's figuring out my average mpg.
the PCM knows how many miles per hour you're going, at the same time as it knows how many gallons per hour of fuel it's injecting, so it's simple math. the averaging/integration window is how it determines long-term avg. economy, but that tends to hide tank-to-tank variation.

*Bluetooth - let me talk to Cortana (or Siri) instead of Sync!
AFAIK you make Cortana one of your contacts, then tell Sync to call Cortana. this might even work without her being one of your contacts; any time I get a text message it shows on the display as "Cortana."

Last edited by jz78817; 08-27-2015 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:20 AM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

@AK_Kayaker - TC as it is leaves lots of room for shenanigans and does a good job keeping things from getting out of hand. With my ham fisted driving technique on the street I should have wrapped this thing around at least 12 light polls by now. As I've mentioned: the change from AWD to RWD is pretty big and an extra 135+ HP just makes it more fun. What's really needed is for Ford to say what their TC is doing and when it is doing it. The Skyline (GTR in the US) has a system that allow specific amounts of slip and its known. Ford on the other hand.... it's a secret.

@jz78818 - I have the MyColor but here's the thing: When I'm bouncing off the rev limiter my eyes are up and looking out the windows. I honestly have no idea how fast 2nd gear is when it's time to shift because: I'm looking out the window and not at the dash.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:46 PM
gus_vb
1st Gear Member

I like the interruptor-like for hazard lights, trac control etc...

I have the Brembos and with the TSW Nurburgring wheels they look awesome!

I hate that some dashboard covers rattle and that the covers on the rear also rattle, I already have an appointment with the dealer to have these issues fixed after they orderded parts, I hope this gets fixed cause is really annoying.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:51 PM
gus_vb
1st Gear Member

One more thing that I like is that I can actually set the temperature units to Celsius but keep the distance in miles.

In my previous 2012 V6 you either set the entire car to metric or "american"

I am not american, so not used that much to Fahrenheit, but miles are easier to understand/assimilate so I like that combo.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:57 AM
vincep99

Hits:
- IRS, good handling
- gobs of torque
- 4-way split display

Misses
- hood shakes ay higher speeds
- prop rod (easily remedied for $99)
Old 09-10-2015, 10:43 AM
iigneb

The car is nice for a Mustang, but...

The "sun glass" compartment is super flimsy, i'm convinced that during hard acceleration one day the whole thing is going to fall out.

Shaker system I paid 1800 dollars for, despite people raving about it, sounds like garbage. A contributing factor is my rear deck lid speaker sounds like its blown due to vibrations/rattles. (Dealer serviced and not fixed)

Every body panel is not aligned.

I have to slam the trunk 17 times to get it to shut (Dealer serviced and not fixed). Trunk also rubs on the tail light damaging both the trunk and tail lights.

At some point the hood will mostly likely fly off at highway speed.

Recaro Seats don't go back to the original position when someone (Under 5 foot) is getting in and out of the back... I also do not understand the latch on the back of the seat, I assume they just don't work on my car but i have not tried using others.

still 30 grand less than an M4 though so I guess I cant complain too much
Old 09-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I have a Premium w/ the Performance pack

Wins:
*sun glasses compartment to the left of the steering wheel - it's stupid that I make a big deal out of it but it's a quirky attention to detail that I just love about this car.
*hidden glove box in the glove box - Open the glove box, push the little yellow button and another glove box inside the glove box opens! Put your paperwork and stuff in here. Or drugs. Whichever.
*The Recaros - enough said.
*The 8 piece symphony under the hood. This is probably the best sounding car I've ever had. The RX-7, EVO, and STi all sounded really good but this thing makes me tingle down in the naughty parts.
*The tranny - not my neighbor. The 6 speed transmission is wonderful and puts up with my fumbling double clutching while making me look like I actually know what I'm doing.

misses:
*the red crash lights - kinda cool, but why aren't they also a shift indicator? Or did I miss something?
*the trip gauges - the MPG calculations are a mystery, I honestly have no idea how it's figuring out my average mpg. Also, for people who do Rally drives the distance gauge down to 2 decimals would be awesome so you can get a real gauge on how far you've gone. Some times you need to be able to measure under 50 yards and you can't do that.
*Traction control - let me adjust how out of alignment I want to let the car get! TC kicks in pretty quickly just as the fun is starting. If you happen to know what you're doing this isn't desirable. It also means you have to turn TC off on the track, but this puts everything on the driver. How about some middle ground? say 5 or 10 degrees before the Nanny takes over?
*Bluetooth - let me talk to Cortana (or Siri) instead of Sync!
*Navigation - I don't know the address I just know I want to go to the Mi Cocina off of MacArthur! Screw you I'll just use the phone navigation.

Overall I'm still really surprised that this is a Mustang. It's amazingly awesome.
I thought the Performance Pack version allowed you to completely disable the nannies in Sport mode...or maybe it's the Track Pack that has that feature....?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:53 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Oh that's just great...I guess the secret glove compartment isn't so "secret" anymore...

Nice write-up thanks!
Old 09-11-2015, 08:24 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

sorry ccwebb - you're going to have to find a new place to stash your dime bag.

@derf00 - not sure which version allows the nannies to be turned off. I just don't bother. Perhaps I didn't elaborate enough on what I'd like, but as it is you can get yourself in plenty of trouble leaving them on. They'll catch you before things get too out of hand but not before your girlfriend has pissed herself.

Regarding @iigeb's response: I love it. So you spent somewhere north of $35K and aren't happy. I feel bad for you. I've been in and driven plenty of GTRs, Lexi, Beemers and Porches. They're nice, but the quality (they spent way too much time in the shop) isn't really that much better than what Ford produces ant 50% the cost leaving me money for fresh tires and other stuff.

The sun glasses compartment is fine and isn't going anywhere unless you're trying to store some gold bullion in there. It's meant to hold a few ounces of Ray-Ban not smuggle uranium past the IAEA.

The other stuff...not my experience. In your shoes I'd call the Snap On guy and buy some tools (screw drivers, socket set, etc), pickup some beers, call my friends and straighten that **** out. None of it's particularly complicated to fix.

Or Lemon Law it and try something else.

Last edited by squishbang; 09-11-2015 at 08:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wins and misses w/ the '15 GT