Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

When would you tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:45 AM
firecoyote

Question When would you tune?

I hope this is posted in the right section.

I have a '15 coyote. I've got the itch to mod already lol y'all know the feeling.

I know these new computers can be very finicky with mods and not tuning. My question is, when would you tune your car? I'm not looking to do crazy mods with it but I just don't want issues with my check engine light, car running lean, etc. I had a '12 with a full exhaust and CAI and it kept throwing codes but I don't think it was tuned properly (previous owner did the mods- seemed professionally done but don't think a tune was performed but not sure).

I would like to start out with exhaust (cutback over axle back for sure- I would love LT headers into a full exhaust but I get so anxious about messing with the cats- opinions?)

I would also like a CAI to let her breathe better (i'm thinking a roush intake).

Lastly, a short throw shifter (still on the fence about this one).

The CAI and exhaust are the mods I'm worried about with a tune. I had a buddy throw on ford racing x-pipe into a roush axle back and it sounds nice and he hasn't tuned it but I'm worried that if i were to do that that eventually it would throw a code.

TLDR; exhaust: borla ATAK catback. intake: Roush CAI. Should I tune it after those mods or roll around without worrying about the tune?
Old 09-16-2015, 12:58 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

How much warranty is left?
Old 09-16-2015, 04:46 PM
firecoyote

they come with 3 yr/36 k mile warranties. so 2018 or 29k miles
Old 09-16-2015, 07:25 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

none of those mods, if done correctly, will cause any warranty issues. as long as your dealer is not out to scam you, and the mod parts dont cause a failure of a ford part, you are good to go. no tune required for exhaust, unless you remove the cats
Old 09-16-2015, 07:41 PM
firecoyote

Thanks! I don't want to mess with the cats just because I've had issues in the past with high flow cats still throwing codes.

Where do y'all recommend ordering parts for the best prices?

I've never installed an exhaust myself but I've been watching videos and it looks pretty straight forward and something I may consider tackling on my own. CAI I my do that on my own as well to save on cost of labor. Borla and Roush parts don't come cheap lol
Old 09-16-2015, 09:23 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i would check out american muscle, they have good prices, but shop around where u can for the best deals summit etc.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:16 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Skip the CAI since it will just be throwing money down the drain.

One option would be the Ford Racing tune which is supposed to be available by the end of the year. You'll be able to keep your warranty although knocked down to 3/36 with them.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:27 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by firecoyote
I hope this is posted in the right section.

I have a '15 coyote. I've got the itch to mod already lol y'all know the feeling.

I know these new computers can be very finicky with mods and not tuning. My question is, when would you tune your car? I'm not looking to do crazy mods with it but I just don't want issues with my check engine light, car running lean, etc. I had a '12 with a full exhaust and CAI and it kept throwing codes but I don't think it was tuned properly (previous owner did the mods- seemed professionally done but don't think a tune was performed but not sure).

I would like to start out with exhaust (cutback over axle back for sure- I would love LT headers into a full exhaust but I get so anxious about messing with the cats- opinions?)

I would also like a CAI to let her breathe better (i'm thinking a roush intake).

Lastly, a short throw shifter (still on the fence about this one).

The CAI and exhaust are the mods I'm worried about with a tune. I had a buddy throw on ford racing x-pipe into a roush axle back and it sounds nice and he hasn't tuned it but I'm worried that if i were to do that that eventually it would throw a code.

TLDR; exhaust: borla ATAK catback. intake: Roush CAI. Should I tune it after those mods or roll around without worrying about the tune?
As the others said, none of these will void your warranty, however I'll have to advise against the ATAK's. I myself just took a set off my 2013, they are INSANELY loud. I'm 24 and they were too loud for me.

Examples of my own, With a Cat back (Purchased axle back but removed resonators myself)

Thats just my two cents. I do Understand that there is a few years difference, however, the chambers are nearly identical and as far as I've heard in person, they sound exactly the same. So if you want race car loud at 20mph, this is the exhaust for you, If you want an exhaust that is decently loud at a roll, and Screaming Loud at WOT, I just went with the Corsa Sports and Couldn't be more pleased. And as for where to order, I've purchased every single part I currently own from American muscle (Except my MGW shifter) and I've never been more pleased with service and quality. 2 day Shipping every single time for free, amazing customer service. I'm a Fan Boy.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:18 PM
firecoyote

Funny you bring up not going with Borla. Just yesterday I was listening to the Corsa Extreme and I liked the rumble it had. There were a few other brands that I did enjoy but I like a decently loud idle. I saw the Borla install on CJ pony parts and during the review he said there was no drone driving on the high way unless you got on it then you could hear it.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:17 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by firecoyote
Funny you bring up not going with Borla. Just yesterday I was listening to the Corsa Extreme and I liked the rumble it had. There were a few other brands that I did enjoy but I like a decently loud idle. I saw the Borla install on CJ pony parts and during the review he said there was no drone driving on the high way unless you got on it then you could hear it.
Correct there is no DRONE, but that doesn't mean that the exhaust isn't obnoxiously loud. It gave me headaches at times.

Quick Reply: When would you tune?