Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

I should've known better - part two

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 06:49 PM
ChampInSD

Well, I will try to keep you all updated on this as it develops. As I mentioned, I was in contact with the dealership and with Ford's corporate customer service folks so there is simply no reason to suggest that the dealership played the primary role in this saga. All I can tell you for sure is that the car was there for weeks while the customer waited for an answer. The whole thing has been a major disappointment and given the safety systems involved all I can say is that it has been shocking to see how Ford has dealt with it.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:01 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Really sorry to hear of your problems with Ford. Reminds me of the service issues I had with GM, and why I'll never buy another car from them. Fortunately I got a good mustang, I've never needed anything other than routine service. But your story serves as a warning to me to be careful on my next upcoming vehicle purchase. I've been considering and Edge or Explorer. But If I do have problems, do I really want to deal with an unresponsive company who's loyalty lies only with it's stockholders and lawyers over it's customers? No.....I don't.

Originally Posted by ChampInSD
All:

I've been reluctant to post my opinions until the situation has been resolved, but in response to the question let me summarize the current status.

As I think you know, I bought my brand new 2015 Mustang GT during the Labor Day weekend sale in late August. Since then, the car has been in the shop for about five or six WEEKS for safety-related warranty work following the problems outlined above and in the original thread. When I finally got the car back, well in excess of 200 miles had been put on the vehicle and as I understand it Ford actually sent an engineer out to look at the car.

As a reminder, these problems started at around 700 miles. After two lengthy stays at the dealership, I finally got it back around 1020 miles following the second visit to the shop (which took about a month). I told the dealership I was uncomfortable taking the car back after all these immediate problems and I was told in response to turn in my rental car, take my Mustang, or face storage fees. So I took the car. I had no choice. And then I was back at the dealership a week later with similar electrical gremlins. (Which they fixed. I presently have the car. But still....)

During this whole process and to date, Ford's corporate customer service was ineffective and non-responsive. At one point I was told by Ford's regional customer service manager on a Friday afternoon that my car would probably be ready on Saturday. I asked them to let me know one way or the other, so I could make plans to pick it up. Come Saturday at 5pm, no call from the dealership or Ford's customer service manager. I left messages. No return call. On Monday I reached the regional customer service guy and he had no idea what the status was. He told me to call back on Friday for "a status update." This is after I was told the car would be fixed two days prior. Honestly he thought it was reasonable to ask me to call back at the end of the week for an "update." I was floored. As it turns out the car ended up not being "fixed" for weeks after that. At one point the dealership service manager told me they had no idea how to fix it and they were "back at square one." Several people chalked it up to it being "a new model."

So at the end of the day I have been forced to start formal proceedings over this. Ford denied my request to repurchase the vehicle and since then has gone basically radio silent. They told me to send a fax or a letter to their P.O. Box. No kidding. After they denied my repurchase request, they wouldn't let me talk to someone by phone or email. I hired a lawyer. He made a written settlement offer to Ford in an effort to try to avoid having to go through the litigation process but they didn't even respond to the offer. I have to assume they figure for some reason it makes sense to force me to file suit over this. Some internet sleuthing shows that Ford has been criticized and sued by others for how they approach these situations. I don't think I'm the first to have this experience.

I can't tell you all how disappointed I am. Not only with the car but with Ford. It's really disheartening. On some level, I can understand that even modern cars can't be expected to be perfect. But having a brand new car in the shop for (at one point) about half of the time in the first two months of ownership is just crazy to me. I also find it bothersome that someone other than me was driving the car when it rolled over its first 1000 miles and that they put several hundred miles on my brand new car only to reject all of my requests to make it right by repurchasing the car from me.

I'm not trying to bash Ford or the car or be unfair about this, but instead I'm trying to let the circumstances speak for themselves. I'm not a Ford hater. I grew up loving Mustangs. I wrote a book report on Henry Ford in grade school because even then I was a growing car nut. My grandparents bought a 64.5 and a 65 Mustangs (two cars) when new and I loved hearing stories about them when I was a kid. My grandfather - who played a big role in me being a car nut - was a lifelong FoMoCo guy. My family has purchased Fords, Lincolns, and Mercury cars all brand new over the years. But this is my first Mustang. And this experience has been awful on all levels.

I still think my car is gorgeous. And it sounds great. And I love driving it. But when you've faced repeated warning lights for a variety of safety systems, a failure of the power steering system, other failures like with the traction control for example, then weeks of unanswered questions, made payments for a car you don't have (and the dealership REFUSED to give to you "due to liability concerns"), it's hard to remain enthusiastic about the car. The whole things leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I also can't forget to mention that while they gave me a rental car for about a month, it was a Toyota.

What does that say? I don't know. But my opinion in sum is that this doesn't say much for Ford. Draw your own conclusions about Ford, its products, and its customer service. But I am far from a happy customer and I wouldn't wish this experience on any fellow enthusiast. I'd love to see Ford step up to the plate and make this right but at this point I have no confidence that is going to happen.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:40 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
Really sorry to hear of your problems with Ford. Reminds me of the service issues I had with GM, and why I'll never buy another car from them. Fortunately I got a good mustang, I've never needed anything other than routine service. But your story serves as a warning to me to be careful on my next upcoming vehicle purchase. I've been considering and Edge or Explorer. But If I do have problems, do I really want to deal with an unresponsive company who's loyalty lies only with it's stockholders and lawyers over it's customers? No.....I don't.
Yes these are the things that spread like ripples of bad publicity, not good for a company, that to many is just getting it's act together.
I have always bought Ford, when I buy new, and now I will have to think long and hard if I will get another.
And it is sad, cause the cost for Ford to have just swapped out his car, and then sold the original after it was properly fixed would be negligible, but the ripples of good publicity, could have been priceless.
To the OP, I wish you luck and hope it ends well.

Last edited by AK_Kayaker; 11-29-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:44 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

[not dismissing anybody's misery - what's going on for ChampInSD is pure BS and shouldn't happen, but it does]

To a degree this isn't much different that what goes on with cell phone companies. If things work life is great but the instant you get off the happy path they don't have a bloody clue what to do and basically shutdown and stop talking.
Coming from an RX-7, Mitsubishi EVO and A Subaru STi I've heard all kinds of horror stories with all three. I've heard horror stories about Ford, GM and Dodge (with a name like 'dodge' I kinda expect it to be scam or con: I mean it's right in there name "It's a dodge" which should hardly give anybody confidence buying their crap).

Generally about 98% of customers end up with a good experience and avoid this hassle. 1% get a crap car but because the dealer is good the issue gets sorted and they aren't much different than the other 98%. Then you have the lucky Pierre who gets a crap car at a crap dealership. For those people: time to be patient and lawyer up - go after the dealership and Ford.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:47 PM
ChampInSD

Thanks guys. I appreciate the moral support. Truly. My friends and family aren't quite the same sort of car nut as I am but it's folks like those who post here that I feel "get it" more than most people do because this is a brand new Ford Mustang GT. Not that any car or any car company would have an excuse, but the Mustang is supposed to be different. It's a flagship I think. And I was so excited about when I got it. Anyway, I'll try to keep you posted. Next step it seems is that I have to go through an arbitration process.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:40 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

Get them to swap you for a GT350R with the technology package. That should set things right.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:33 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

OP, have you reached out to the ford service reps on this forum? This sounds like incompetence at multiple levels to me.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:30 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I had the same problems with a Chevy Celebrity way back when and they wouldn't do anything except try and keep fixing it...finally traded it in. I actually ad a good experience with Ford when i got a 2002 Focus, had overheating problems and after 4 times in the sop, they bought it back and let me pick a new one off th lot and even gave me an upgraded model for the same price. I think a lot of it has to do with the dealer. They finally found the problem with the original Focus I had as the head wasn't milled to specs. They put a new head on it and resold it.

Good luck Champ..I hope they end up doing you right..it doesn't mkes sense for them not to.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:03 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ucinn
I had the same problems with a Chevy Celebrity way back when and they wouldn't do anything except try and keep fixing it...finally traded it in. I actually ad a good experience with Ford when i got a 2002 Focus, had overheating problems and after 4 times in the sop, they bought it back and let me pick a new one off th lot and even gave me an upgraded model for the same price. I think a lot of it has to do with the dealer. They finally found the problem with the original Focus I had as the head wasn't milled to specs. They put a new head on it and resold it.

Good luck Champ..I hope they end up doing you right..it doesn't mkes sense for them not to.
agreed, everyone blames ford motor company, but they forget that the dealer is the one diagnosing and fixing the car,so..........if it takes too long, or isnt fixed right the first time, the dealer is 100% the issue. i can say this because i am a dealer tech, i get to see cars that have been at other dealers for issues multiple times, that are then brought to me to fix (correctly this time). the dealer makes the difference 100% of the time.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:27 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by redass02gt
OP, have you reached out to the ford service reps on this forum? This sounds like incompetence at multiple levels to me.
Thanks for the mention, redass02gt! He has already been in contact with our CRC, and now, Due to the nature of his case, I’m unable to directly assist.

Deysha

Quick Reply: I should've known better - part two