Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

What are you planning on doing to your Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 02:32 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Bang for the buck.... again!

How do you know you will like a exhaust mod! A friend bought a popular exhaust mod for his Mustang! He hates the drone at certain speeds & is putting the stock exhaust back losing cash on the deal. I question if most exhaust mods are worth the "bang for the buck" much like CAI's. I suspect if adding a lot of H.P. were that easy to add with the exhaust, then auto manufacturers would all be doing it on their performance cars! I agree some performance is gained at higher RPM's, but is it a good "bang for the buck" modification??
Old 10-16-2015, 08:47 AM
morbe

Originally Posted by Mr. D
How do you know you will like a exhaust mod! A friend bought a popular exhaust mod for his Mustang! He hates the drone at certain speeds & is putting the stock exhaust back losing cash on the deal. I question if most exhaust mods are worth the "bang for the buck" much like CAI's. I suspect if adding a lot of H.P. were that easy to add with the exhaust, then auto manufacturers would all be doing it on their performance cars! I agree some performance is gained at higher RPM's, but is it a good "bang for the buck" modification??
I wasn't really looking for a noticeable performance increase. I was looking to increase the volume of the exhaust note. I agree with you 100% on the fact that simple after market upgrades do nothing for performance. Including CAI's. Time and time again Ford Engineers and said that the vehicle as is from the factory is tuned in such a way that adding aftermarket performance parts to your mustang do absolutely nothing to improve performance with out a custom tune.

That being said. I do wish that the mustang was a little more manly sounding. I have a GT and it sounds rather tame. One thing I wanted to do was to remove the resonator and put an H-pipe in its place. My reasoning for this is, it is my belief that a resonator does not belong on any sports or muscle car. From what I am told this simple mod will increase the volume slightly. Then when the time is right maybe a CAI with a custom tune. But definitely a custom tune.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:51 AM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Like I said before, it's not an HP mod. If I buy a V8, I want to hear that V8, not hear it behind a resonator and quiet, stock mufflers.

I loved a non-stock exhaust on my 2005 GT.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:53 AM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by morbe
My reasoning for this is, it is my belief that a resonator does not belong on any sports or muscle car.
Amen. Not to mention, while it's a "sound" mod, aftermarket cat-back exhausts weigh a lot less than the stock cat-back.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:37 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daltron
Like I said before, it's not an HP mod. If I buy a V8, I want to hear that V8, not hear it behind a resonator and quiet, stock mufflers.

I loved a non-stock exhaust on my 2005 GT.
I guess I'll have to hear one! What brand do you think are the best bang for the buck? My problem on my last Mustang, is that the supercharger didn't let me hear too much exhaust note if I was on it!
Old 10-17-2015, 03:51 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

I guess I'll have to hear one! What brand do you think are the best bang for the buck? My problem on my last Mustang, is that the supercharger didn't let me hear too much exhaust note if I was on it!
D as Daltron said it's not really about power, and bang for the buck is speculative with exhaust, as it is not a big deal to some, and to others it means a lot, this guy I quoted below said it pretty well, and provided an excellent video comparing stock, to one brand of after market.
Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
Yes gone are the days of $200 Hooker headers, but of course inflation has a way of doing that to everything, but not only inflation but old headers were just mild steel, that tended to rust out in not very long on a daily driver.
New ones are almost always stainless steel that should last the life of the car, and it is about more than just bang for buck, at least for me, the sound of a car with a nice exhaust sends chill down my spine, which is why it is always my first mod.
And as I always post in any exhaust thread, for you listening enjoyment.
2015 Ford Mustang Headers and Exhaust - Before and After - YouTube
Old 10-19-2015, 11:46 AM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Best bang for the buck, maybe MBRP. They offer some good cat-back setups for less than $700.

Good audio samples here: http://www.americanmuscle.com/2015-m...k-exhaust.html
Old 10-19-2015, 06:16 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

You have to pair changes to the exhaust with updates to the ECU in order to see any real differences. Unfortunately adding 100hp to a Mustang is no where near as straight forward as adding 100hp to an EVO or STi.

My plan is to do the full exhaust: headers, high flow cats, cat-back plus dyno tuning. What sucks here is that on an STi that setup would easily net another 50hp without having to change the fuel system. Throw in a fuel pump and injectors and it could be 100hp. On the upside that 100Hp would have the STi near where I'm starting!

I suspect full exhaust plus dyno tuning will get me close to what Ford says the car makes but at the wheels (~435whp) or at least I hope because that is as far as I'll be going.

I like the idea of getting a twin turbo package or a super-charger but I think I'll be getting a GT350 to park beside the 5.0 instead.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:42 PM
krazyk86cu

I just purchased the Ford Racing Sport Catback by Borla and had it put on. Worth every penny based on sound alone. Definitely sounds the muscle car part now. There is zero drone at any speed. Its certainly not cheap but I'm happy with it.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:33 AM
Phillip123
1st Gear Member

I would love to modify my Mustang same as this one!

Quick Reply: What are you planning on doing to your Mustang?