Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Which tuner to buy and when to buy it? (2016 GT)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 09:34 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
Ford is going to blame the tune no matter what the issue is. They'll just refuse to work on your car and it will up to YOU to fight them in court if you so desire.
What he says is true. There are posts in this forum where people have put CAI, headers, exhaust, tune, and netted a whopping 17RWHP. Not worth it to me, but that is just me.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:24 PM
ia bhtr

My new GT should be here in a few weeks , one of the 1st things I asked my dealership was what happens to the warranty when I put headers on and a tune , both the aftermarket salesman for the dealership and Mgr of the dealership told me emphatically that as long as repair work was done at their dealership , warrant [I]would not be affected [I] , but if I were to get it fixed elsewhere I may have problems , they did tell me if the mods were proven to not be part of the problem , my warranty would still be good , after pinning them down further the Mgr said if FORD wont warranty it , this dealership will as long as we do the install ...... mine will have ARH headers JLT box and tune done when I pick it up , not because of performance increase ( well kinda ) just because this old dude wants it
Old 04-27-2016, 04:21 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aframe
The tune will not void factory warranty automatically. If the tune is directly responsible for a failure it will void the warranty. Just make sure you go with a tuning company that isn't going to take it to the edge. A good tune will also make all your other bolt-ons work better as well. I know everybody has their favorite. I had 5 star tune my stang after the miracle he did with my F150.
The issue is that, pending the dealership, they could/will likely just "blame it on the tune" unless it's obviously something that would be impossible for the tune to affect (I dunno... crack in the intake manifold or something...?). That's the worry.
On my 2001 GT Convertible I had a Diablo Sports tuner and loved it. HUGE improvement along with my CAI. I've been reading that on the 2015/2016 GTs that CAI don't seem to affect 1/4 mile or 0-60 times, at all. Someone on another forum actually posted a time slip with a tune and stock air intake and another slip with the same tune and a CAI (same car, same day, same track)... The Tune + CAI ran .1 second slower than the Tune + stock air intake. This could obviously just be a regular ol' variable in track times, which of course would mean one of two things: the stock air box is better than a CAI OR that a CAI is no better than the stock air intake (both answers also prove that dyno numbers with a big fan blowing on your open hood mean poop )
Old 05-07-2016, 07:00 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

The issue of tunes and warranties has been hotly debated across every forum and group and page for every car, truck, and SUV for many years. When there is mechanical failure, and you bring your car in, it isn't always gonna be inspected and sent into Ford's main facilities for their top engineers to use state of the art equipment to search for a tune. They might put one of their flash tools to it and do a general search. But thats about it. And even then, they might not actually perform it. Especially if it is a particularly busy day with a cranky worker who doesn't care one way or another. Also, look at it like this, when they turn away work, they are turning away money. The techs get paid a certain wage. And if you have 5 techs and its a slow day and they aren't getting paid what they want or need, the service manager might not turn away warranty work just because you have a tune. They gotta bring money in. And if they wasted an hour examining the problem, and if it is something that can be fixed easily or a fix that can bring in a lot of money, they might just fudge the results of their scans. AFterall, the dealership gets reimbursed from Ford when they do warranty work. Why turn away money? The won't lose money paying their techs.

With that said, you are still taking a chance. When I got my 2015 GT, my dealership manager and his sales manager, and one of his salesmen, in the presence of my little brother and a room full of people told me that they would honor my warranty if I did simple bolt-ons like a cai, canned or dyno tune, and exhaust. As long as it wasn't nitrous, forced induction, or anything involving tampering with the cats. They even referred me to a shop they work closely with. Some dealerships even have a performance center and shop right on premises. Other dealerships will forbid it without a second thought. So really it is up to you to communicate with them and see where they stand on the issue. If they say no, then you're on your own if you choose to do it.