Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Items stolen from my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 10:44 PM
warwickbass

Default Items stolen from my car

Earlier this week when I was leaving for work, I got in and noticed that the trunk was ajar. I though that maybe I accidentally hit the button somehow. I didn't think anything of it until just now when I confirmed that my custom windshield shade and audio cable are missing. They were stolen.

As far as I know, the car is locked when I'm outside that three-feet range. I'm pretty sure that I didn't accidentally hit unlock from my bedroom. It's possible that I simply didn't shut the trunk completely, but that oversight would surprise me. I haven't seen forced-entry damage, but I'll check tomorrow.

Last edited by warwickbass; 10-16-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:19 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i have sometime noticed that if im in range of my car the button on my fob can get pushed by the other keys on the ring and pop my trunk as im walking away.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:11 PM
Phillip123
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
i have sometime noticed that if im in range of my car the button on my fob can get pushed by the other keys on the ring and pop my trunk as im walking away.
This is a common problem unfortunately.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:19 PM
folivier

Just realized that on my 2014 convertible unless you lock the doors the trunk button on the console will still open the trunk. Wonder why they didn't make it so it would only work with the key in ignition?
Old 10-18-2015, 07:40 PM
warwickbass

Well, I discovered the problem.

I left my keys on the nightstand, walked out to the car and pushed the little button to open the trunk. Then, I opened the doors.

My keys are probably line-of-sight 35-40 feet away from the car. What in the hell kind of vehicle security is this?

Last edited by warwickbass; 10-18-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:24 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

This may sound dumb, but did you actually lock the door, or do you think it automatically locks when you walk away?
After reading the manual a little, the fob should only allow unlock when within 3 feet of car, line of site has nothing to do with it.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:26 PM
warwickbass

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
This may sound dumb, but did you actually lock the door, or do you think it automatically locks when you walk away?
After reading the manual a little, the fob should only allow unlock when within 3 feet of car, line of site has nothing to do with it.
I tested it soon after I bought the car. I simply walked away from it and had someone try to open the door. It wouldn't open. I assume that it will not open unless you press the unlock button on the fob or are within three feet of the car with the fob.

Actually, I'll go test it right now. Earlier I opened the trunk first; now I'll just try to open the doors.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:29 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

My guess is that when you tried it the first time, you actually touched the top of the handle where the lock sensor is and locked the door, but the manual states nothing about them auto locking, so either use the fob, or make sure to touch the lock sensor, would be my thoughts on it.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:30 PM
warwickbass

Son of a bitch.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:32 PM
warwickbass

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
My guess is that when you tried it the first time, you actually touched the top of the handle where the lock sensor is and locked the door, but the manual states nothing about them auto locking, so either use the fob, or make sure to touch the lock sensor, would be my thoughts on it.
That's what happened. Thanks for the confirmation.

Why wouldn't they design it to auto lock? I've used the remote start before and witnessed the car shutting off after ten minutes or so, standing next to it.

Quick Reply: Items stolen from my car