Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

2015 S550 Upgrades

Old 01-01-2016, 11:39 AM
kenkj67

Default 2015 S550 Upgrades

I'm new to the forum.
I have a 2015 GT and am interested in adding some performance upgrades in the form of exhaust, cold air kit, and possibly throttle body.
Looking for some feed back on the best brands of parts that work the best with this vehicle.
The following is what I am interested in installing:

Exhaust = American Racing 3" pure thunder "H" pipe stainless cat back
Cold Air = Airaid synthaflow
throttle body = BBK 90mm

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:18 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

If your looking for max performance for dollar spent start with a tune and headers. If your an automatic do a torque converter.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:23 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenkj67
I'm new to the forum.
I have a 2015 GT and am interested in adding some performance upgrades in the form of exhaust, cold air kit, and possibly throttle body.
Looking for some feed back on the best brands of parts that work the best with this vehicle.

throttle body = BBK 90mm

I think you will get very little bang for the buck spent! I think a CAI is unnecessary. Be careful you aren't just dying to do something to your Mustang. If there is enough HP/Torque improvement gained in a "safe" tune, that's about all I would do! Remember that, "Fishing lures don't have to catch fish to make a profit... they just have to catch fisherman!"
Old 01-02-2016, 09:19 AM
kenkj67

[QUOTE=Mr. D;8523055]I think you will get very little bang for the buck spent! I think a CAI is unnecessary. Be careful you aren't just dying to do something to your Mustang. If there is enough HP/Torque improvement gained in a "safe" tune, that's about all I would do! Remember that, "Fishing lures don't have to catch fish to make a profit... they just have to catch fisherman!"[/QUOTE

Thank you for the reply.
You are correct, it's been about a year since I bought it and I have recently been bit by the upgrade bug. Getting a lot of different guidance direction on what route to take.
I don't want to do any thing that will harm the car in the long run, but do want to increase HP and torque. Is a tune necessary every time something is added?
Old 01-02-2016, 11:24 AM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Supposedly just a basic tune drops people from the stock 12.7/12.8 sec quarter mile time to the 12.4 range. Keep in mind, it voids your warranty... Only reason I haven't done it to my '16 GT yet.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:53 AM
kenkj67

Originally Posted by Spork3245
Supposedly just a basic tune drops people from the stock 12.7/12.8 sec quarter mile time to the 12.4 range. Keep in mind, it voids your warranty... Only reason I haven't done it to my '16 GT yet.
Good point regarding the warranty.
If any mods are done by anyone other than a ford dealer, does it void the factory warranty?
Old 01-02-2016, 03:00 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by kenkj67
Good point regarding the warranty.
If any mods are done by anyone other than a ford dealer, does it void the factory warranty?
If your mod causes the problem then it won't be covered by warranty. Easy to see - Ford warranties the car that Ford built. When you change it, then it is no longer the car that Ford built. If you put an aftermarket radio in would you expect Ford to honor the warranty on the sound system? But if you put an aftermarket radio in and your seat breaks -then the warranty won't be affected on the seat (or if your driveshaft breaks etc). But if you change the tune on the engine, and something happens to the engine then you risk Ford determining that your aftermarket tuning is the source of the engine problem.

When I put the turbo on my car, and then broke 2 pistons and blew the head gaskets, that obviously wasn't a warranty matter. The engine that Ford built ran fine - the engine that I modified broke so it was on my dime.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:51 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
If your mod causes the problem then it won't be covered by warranty. Easy to see - Ford warranties the car that Ford built. When you change it, then it is no longer the car that Ford built. If you put an aftermarket radio in would you expect Ford to honor the warranty on the sound system? But if you put an aftermarket radio in and your seat breaks -then the warranty won't be affected on the seat (or if your driveshaft breaks etc). But if you change the tune on the engine, and something happens to the engine then you risk Ford determining that your aftermarket tuning is the source of the engine problem.

When I put the turbo on my car, and then broke 2 pistons and blew the head gaskets, that obviously wasn't a warranty matter. The engine that Ford built ran fine - the engine that I modified broke so it was on my dime.
Yea, that's the issue. A dealership will likely see you installed a tune and automatically say it's the cause of whatever engine issue you are having, even if the tune wasn't the cause. Obviously this depends on the dealer and/or mechanic but it's a risk.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:34 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

Regarding warranties: I would suggest waiting until you're past 10K on the clock before doing any major tuning or modding to the car. As it has been explained to me if the car makes a major warranty claim before 10K the manufacturer tends to pay closer attention in case it is will require a recall. After 10K the manufacturers tend to pay less attention because the car is beyond its first year or so of life any things blowing up probably aren't directly related to the assembly line. Or something like that.

If you want something that will result in a real return on investment: take a performance driving school. Any school by just about anyone will help you get more out of your car. Another option is go Autocross it with SCCA or any of the other car clubs that do autocrosses. Get some coaching and you'll be amazed at what your stock car is actually capable of.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:06 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

I'm new to the forum.

throttle body = BBK 90mm

Steeda has been very busy developing parts for the S550 - we have CAIs, Exhaust system, etc.

Many dealers are Steeda friendly as we sell our Performance Cars through select Ford Dealerships Nationwide. You can always drop our name & see how they react.

Also, the same tunes we write for our customer's cars are the same tunes we use on our Performance Vehicles - tunes that have to be safe, reliable & powerful to be sold through the Ford Dealer network.

Lastly, our parts are made right here in the U.S.A under strict ISO 9001:2008 standards - you are in good hands with Steeda.

Feel free to email me at tim@steeda.com for forum discounts & pricing.

Best Regards,

TJ

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 S550 Upgrades