Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Which appearance options?
side scoop/ roush spoiler body color painted
8.70%
side scoop/ roush spoiler black to accent rear panel and rims
8.70%
performance mods instead
69.57%
other- please specify in comments
13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Mods- opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 03:57 AM
WhiteMule

Just buy a tuner. Get the most power out of it without actually changing anything but programming the ecm.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:33 PM
IslandHopper

I have no problem with people that put non-functional scoops and such on their cars... I wouldn't WANT everyone else to have the same tastes/opinions I do... that'd be boring.
But I, personally, don't see the point in adding scoops that don't really provide airflow to something that needs it... that do nothing but add drag.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:47 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spork3245

....... however, if you have an auto transmission it is dropping peoples 1/4-mile time from 12.7-12.8 in "sports mode" all the way down to 12.3-ish... Which is a pretty big improvement for a $300-400 plug-and-play upgrade.
What's your thinking as to why????
Old 01-27-2016, 08:13 AM
IslandHopper

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I would assume the tune not only adds a bit of power, but also changes the transmission control... "better" shift points will go a long way to improving times. (But would be undesirable from a comfort standpoint for a car that was actually sold to drive on the road.)
Old 01-27-2016, 08:41 AM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Change in shifting combined with added 25 rear wheel horsepower and 21lb-ft of torque. Autos always get a bigger boost in terms of stock 0-60 and stock 1/4 mile times from tuners due to the tuner being able to change the transmission more.

From what I understand, driving in "normal mode" with the tuner is still fine for day-to-day driving (when I tuned my '01 GT convertible it was fine too, but a lot more aggressive if I punched the gas; huge difference and made the car even more fun to drive), switching over to "sports mode" is way more aggressive post-tune and it also gets rid of the annoying "aggressive" downshifting that Ford programmed for the stock sports mode for autos (seriously, the stock sports mode shifting makes me sound like a kid who doesn't know how to downshift a manual transmission every time I pull up to a stop sign or red light :/ )

Last edited by Spork3245; 01-27-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:16 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Interesting! Thanx for the reply! I'm wondering what the Roush Supercharger will do to mine! Down shifting/hitting passing gear should be interesting..... yikes! I assume the tranny will hold together! I think it will have to be driven with some common sense!
Old 02-05-2016, 01:14 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

TLDR;
The hood scoops and other non-functioning farkles seem like a waste of money to me. The rear spoiler looks ok. I guess. Appearancewise on my car I platidipped the pony removed the GT emblem from the rear deck and replaced the chrome lugnuts with black ones.

As for performance: Based on the numbers I've seen your best bet is to do a dynotune and spend the rest of the money on driver education. Maybe buy a second set of wheels that are lighter and get highperformance summer tires.

Otherwise: enjoy the car.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I've had some time to play with the sport mode on my GT. I think it is an attempt to please a guy like me that wants both a manual & automatic in one car. The sport mode gives you more of a feeling you are in a manual shift car going up & down through the gears. I think it would make tracking the car a better experience. Smart move!
Old 02-13-2016, 01:21 PM
Elmo30086@gmail.com

Just buy a set of twin turbos and call it a day
Old 03-13-2016, 11:05 AM
firecoyote

ok, tune wise. who do yall recommend or should i buy a handheld and do it my self? if so, what brand of tuner? I really don't want to take my computer out and mail it as my mustang is my DD so that wouldn't really be feasible. or should i try and find a shop to tune it? that seems like it would be more pricey.

I think i've decided on some catted LT headers (still doing research on brands- looking like borla, ARH, or Kooks) into a borla atak catback (sorry, don't want opinions of borla being raspy or too loud and having drone- i like the sound, thank you)

with those mods I know i'll need a tune. also, thinking about added a CAI- steeda or roush.

as far as mods go, leave it stock or just add supercharger/turbos because "everyone just wants do something to do something"

is that not why we're car enthusiasts? because we want to modify our cars. Why do people buy houses and then do home improvements if that's what everyone else do to their homes!? we do it to add more performance, style, etc. Yes, everyone does exhaust..it sounds good so why not? it adds performance but most do it for the american muscle sound they can get out of a free flowing bigger exhaust. Does the stock mustang perform well? yes, of course but it can always be louder, can always get more air, can always look cooler, etc.

I know visual mods are seen as a "waste of money" by some but it sets you apart from the "stock look" and it gives it a personal touch to it. I think the side scoops look great and should have been added off the factory line- but for now, i'm going to go with sound first lol

Thanks for all the help guys!

Quick Reply: Mods- opinions needed