Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

S550 Road Trip

Old 05-12-2016, 01:20 PM
HoosierDaddy

Default S550 Road Trip

I drove from Phoenix to Wyoming on a Saturday and back to Phoenix on a different route a few days later.

Seats were almost as comfortable as my Cadillac. I never got out of the car to or from Wyoming except for two gas stops in route each way and a few picture stops. I took mostly twisty back roads and got my money's worth for the PP except for where it was freezing and the roads wet. These Pirelli's aren't so sticky at freezing temps.

Ford uses good paint. The trip back was in severe wind all through Utah and Northern AZ and it was the height of tumbleweed season. There was no way to dodge them all and when heading into the wind had 100 MPH (at least) closure rates. I spent over an hour, much with tweezers, pulling tiny branches out of every seam and gap in the front of the car. But not a single scratch anywhere on the car. I will say that there is no way in hell I'm doing a grill delete without carrying a few spare radiators in the trunk.

Some phone pics:

On the way to Wyoming:

These are the Vermillion Cliffs between Page and the North Rim. Since the North Rim is closed until May, I had the road to myself. There is a long stretch after the cliffs toward Jacob Lake that is almost all switchbacks as you climb.

I stopped as close as practical to 1000 miles beside one of the switchbacks.

On the way back home:

Places along highway 191 in Southern Wyoming and Utah:

Inside The Arches national Park:

Old 05-12-2016, 03:17 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Thanks for sharing!! Great pictures!!
Old 05-12-2016, 07:42 PM
jimbo285

looked like a lot of fun. When I lived there I had a sportbike. Mustang would have been so much fun there. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:36 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Been through there many times towing a travel trailer with the kids, but never driving a Mustang! Sounds great! Mustangs are "surprisingly" comfortable on long drives. Nice pics! Nice car!
Old 06-19-2016, 06:24 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

HoosierDaddy, looks like a great trip. Out of curiosity, do you know what kind of fuel economy you got on the trip. I know it's a GT but I've heard some stories of them getting pretty darned good under some circumstances.

Thanks for any info!
Steve R.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:35 PM
HoosierDaddy

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
HoosierDaddy, looks like a great trip. Out of curiosity, do you know what kind of fuel economy you got on the trip. I know it's a GT but I've heard some stories of them getting pretty darned good under some circumstances.

Thanks for any info!
Steve R.
I don't know about the trip but the car has about 3k miles now and the trip was 2k. The average mileage for the 3k miles says 22.1 MPG. Don't know how much help that is. I suspect the trip was better than that, but I don't know by how much.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I don't know about the trip but the car has about 3k miles now and the trip was 2k. The average mileage for the 3k miles says 22.1 MPG. Don't know how much help that is. I suspect the trip was better than that, but I don't know by how much.
22 mpg average over 3000 miles doesn't sound bad at all for a GT. I'd imagine that you've probably had mpg ranges from the low to mid teens to the mid to upper 20's to make that average. I like tracking fuel economy, even on vehicles that aren't particularly known for being economical. I'm new to this forum and yours is the first post I've run into where the OP was talking about a long trip and I was just curious whether or not you had kept up with it. It's no problem either way and thanks for the response!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:11 AM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Sweet pics!!

Last edited by -SHIFTY-; 06-27-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:51 AM
Mach2
2nd Gear Member

HoosierDaddy. Sweet pic's and thanks for sharing.

Are your wheels factory and came with your Mustang GT, or are they aftermarket wheels you added? They look great on your white GT.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:11 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Very cool. I was amazed by how beautiful the high desert of southern utah was when i finally had a chance to drivw north out of vegas. I took my s550 out for a 3000 mile trip from L.A. up to Portland on highway 1 along with some detours to the bay area and central valley the 2nd month after I bought it. I was very pleasantly surprised with how comfy it was, my new edge or s197 would've left me feeling beat up to hell after that much driving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S550 Road Trip