Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Paint Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Eric052492

Default Paint Issues

Hey everyone,

I recently picked up my 2016 Mustang GT and have a few paint issues that I haven't really seen talked about before. The rear bumper has a few bumps along the edges on each side and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed these this. It's as if the plastic underneath the paint has imperfections in it. I need to go in for some warranty work (seat has some stitching issues) and am debating having them fix this, but the concern is having any body work done to brand new paint because you never know how it will come out... The paint work on the rear bumper in general seems sloppy, especially where it meets the quarter panel in some spots. There are some other things too (scratch in the paint on the drivers side door sill, paint chip on the passenger side rocker panel, even what looks like a touched up paint chip on the hood) all stuff I don't really expect on a new car. The car was delivered from another dealer and driven about ~100 miles so some of the issues may be from that, but not the bumper. I've attached some pictures of the bumper for some opinions. The second picture isn't actually a white spot, the light just caught it that way.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:36 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Do some checking into whether the car was damaged & repainted. I had a deal with a new Dodge truck like that. Go to a Ford Dealer with body shop & tell them you just bought the car from a used car lot, & ask them if it has been repaired. If they say "Yes", then get an estimate describing what needs to be done & the price. If so, I get two estimates from Ford! Dodge gave me a new truck when they found out I had estimates for damage repair from other Dodge Dealers that got them. I put in a complaint with DMV that in Calif. controls licenses to sell cars. Dodge reps were incredible rectums until they heard from the DMV, & then they offered me a new truck. The law says they can repair only a certain amount without telling the customer about the damage. That's were you have them if it's been damaged in shipment & repainted! Some shippers have repair site they use if a vehicle is damaged in shipment. Who knows what your deal is, but a new car should look like a new car! Go get them.... & don't wait too long!
Old 05-17-2016, 08:56 PM
Eric052492

Thanks for the reply. I'm seriously starting to wonder if the bumper was repainted at some point. On the drivers side, it looks as if parts of the bumper are stuck to the quarter panel with paint, as if it was painted on the car. I even found a spot on the bumper where it looks like the paint is lifting up a bit, so at this point a repaint seems necessary... I'll try to get better pictures in the daylight.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:19 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

As I said, hide every sign that the car was bought new from a dealer & go to another dealer & tell them you think you may have been sold a damaged car by a car lot & if so you want them to pay for repairs. The dealer will look for signs it has been damaged & repaired. If you can get them to write an estimate of repairs stating the car was damaged & repaired you will have what you need to go back to the dealer with a strong hand. What do you think a judge would say if a Ford Dealer said the car had been damaged & repaired. My mistake when it was done to me was to not go to court & get "punitive damages" for fraud. It's a felony if the damaged exceed a certain amount. My Dodge truck looked great until paint started peeling of the original paint job. The found slightly bent supports when things were straightened.

Obviously I don't know if something has been done that is wrong, but this is a way to find out... from a Ford Dealer which will be good evidence.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 PM
mustangdaddy

i had a serious clearcoat run on the bottom of the drivers door about 4 inches long and a clearcoat run up higher and Ford fixed both problems without balking or complaining.