Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

5.0 vs. EcoBoost

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 09:02 AM
phat_nos_rat
1st Gear Member

Let's be real, no offense to anyone with the ecoboost or V6's, but if you bought an ecoboost and went to cruise-ins or car shows or just hanging out and your buddy pulls up with a GT and a nice exhaust and/or cams, you are always going to want that!! The ecoboost is awesome and I do want one myself but you know you will always wish you would have got the V8. It's like taking a Honda Shadow to a Harley convention......The Honda is probably the better bike, but it isn't a Harley!!......That my friends is my way of looking at it.......
Old 06-26-2016, 08:03 PM
Mach2
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, zactly what phat_nos_rat said. Truth.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:48 AM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by phat_nos_rat
Let's be real, no offense to anyone with the ecoboost or V6's, but if you bought an ecoboost and went to cruise-ins or car shows or just hanging out and your buddy pulls up with a GT and a nice exhaust and/or cams, you are always going to want that!! The ecoboost is awesome and I do want one myself but you know you will always wish you would have got the V8. It's like taking a Honda Shadow to a Harley convention......The Honda is probably the better bike, but it isn't a Harley!!......That my friends is my way of looking at it.......
Totally understand where you're coming from but you know, not everyone "has" to have a V8. Personally, I quit worrying about what anyone else thinks of my car, or motorcycle (and I've been riding them for over 40 years!) a long time ago. The GT is a great car and that muscle car persona with the V8 is iconic Mustang but I wouldn't assume that everyone is going to wish they had a V8. It's an expensive car and some may not consider it worth the added cost. As for the Harley, I used to own an '09 Ultra Classic. It was my first Harley and it was a great bike but it weighed over half a ton with me on it, before I put anything in the saddlebags, and as far a motorcycles go, it wasn't particularly fast, but I didn't buy it for straight line performance. What it had going for it was bling, but bling doesn't get you down the road. Ultimately, I traded it because I got tired of the weight of the thing. I loved the bike otherwise. I'm currently riding a BMW R1200RT. It's about 60% lighter, "way" faster, and gets better fuel economy to boot. It's also a LOT better aerodynamically than the Harley ever was. I get little to no helmet buffeting where the Harley would beat me to death and I can actually hear and understand the radio a freeway speeds. It's all in what you want and need.

Likewise, the V6 and Ecoboost Mustangs are plenty fast in their own right. They're cheaper to buy and I suspect, cheaper to insure, and will get better fuel economy all around. I've made up my mind I want one, I just have to get the finances together which will take a while. For me, it'll be the Ecoboost at a minimum. The GT would be nice but a lot of things are going to have to line up before that happens.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:06 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by phat_nos_rat
Nobody does cams on a coyote.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:09 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
manual transmissions have fewer losses than automatics, and are often faster in cars up to 300/350 HP, and you can certainly make the case that manual transmission cars (which are 50-100 lbs lighter) are faster and more predictable in corners.
More nonsense. Nobody is out shifting todays automatics.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:11 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

you can certainly make the case that manual transmission cars (which are 50-100 lbs lighter) are faster and more predictable in corners.
The record at our track was set in a 7 speed manual Corvette.

Btw, I agree in a 1/4 track, over 400HP plus cars with automatics are typically faster than manual. There is a point where there is enough HP to overcome the losses in the automatic and the extra weight of the auto.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:59 AM
daytripper
1st Gear Member

There is not any significant difference in weight for the auto. Listed weights don't include:clutch,pressure plate,extra pedal,hydraulics etc.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:52 AM
krssrls

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
Totally understand where you're coming from but you know, not everyone "has" to have a V8. Personally, I quit worrying about what anyone else thinks of my car, or motorcycle (and I've been riding them for over 40 years!) a long time ago. The GT is a great car and that muscle car persona with the V8 is iconic Mustang but I wouldn't assume that everyone is going to wish they had a V8. It's an expensive car and some may not consider it worth the added cost. As for the Harley, I used to own an '09 Ultra Classic. It was my first Harley and it was a great bike but it weighed over half a ton with me on it, before I put anything in the saddlebags, and as far a motorcycles go, it wasn't particularly fast, but I didn't buy it for straight line performance. What it had going for it was bling, but bling doesn't get you down the road. Ultimately, I traded it because I got tired of the weight of the thing. I loved the bike otherwise. I'm currently riding a BMW R1200RT. It's about 60% lighter, "way" faster, and gets better fuel economy to boot. It's also a LOT better aerodynamically than the Harley ever was. I get little to no helmet buffeting where the Harley would beat me to death and I can actually hear and understand the radio a freeway speeds. It's all in what you want and need.

Likewise, the V6 and Ecoboost Mustangs are plenty fast in their own right. They're cheaper to buy and I suspect, cheaper to insure, and will get better fuel economy all around. I've made up my mind I want one, I just have to get the finances together which will take a while. For me, it'll be the Ecoboost at a minimum. The GT would be nice but a lot of things are going to have to line up before that happens.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Not exactly true. I travel upwards of 1K for work every few months and my 5.0 is getting an average of 29.3 MPG. granted it's tuned and has a bunch off goodies but it gets great millage on the interstate.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:58 AM
krssrls

Originally Posted by daytripper
There is not any significant difference in weight for the auto. Listed weights don't include:clutch,pressure plate,extra pedal,hydraulics etc.
Have you ever had to remove the auto trans out of one of the current late model mustangs, or a manual? I've done both and trust me the manual is a lot lighter!! one person can pick it up and move it. not the case with the auto..
Old 06-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by krssrls
Not exactly true. I travel upwards of 1K for work every few months and my 5.0 is getting an average of 29.3 MPG. granted it's tuned and has a bunch off goodies but it gets great millage on the interstate.
Oh yeah, I've been hearing that too. The 5.0 is capable of returning incredible fuel economy, in spite of the EPA estimates. One thing I'm wondering in your case is if the tune is hurting or helping you? Have you tracked your fuel mileage close enough to have a handle on that, as in before and after the tune? You mention the tune like you think it might have hurt you a little but I'm not sure that's necessarily true. Might be, but then again, might not!

As for what I was trying to say, if you were driving an Ecoboost, it's likely you'd be well into the low 30's, mpg wise. I'm still in the dreaming stage. I've got other financial obligations that I need to get out of the way before I can buy another car and I want the convertible which adds a bit to the cost but if I can swing the GT, I will opt for one but for me, it'll depend on a number of other factors. I'd be happy with the turbo and even the V6 if they'd offer it in premium trim but I do understand the allure of the 5.0.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs. EcoBoost