Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Some questions for you all.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:37 AM
AngelDeath
1st Gear Member

Default Some questions for you all.

Greets all,

I have a few questions hoping to compare answers:

I just got my 2016 GT Premium Cali Pack 2 weeks ago, and I've had some issues which the dealership is fixing (Came from the plant that way) but here is what I'm curious about:

1) Has anyone here had there HTC or Samsung using the native email app on the phone had the sync 3 get confused and pick up emails instead of text msgs? This has happened to me 3 times and I was curious if anyone has had this happen? If I use a third party email app like "Blue Mail" it doesnt happen. I know the reason why it happens (which i'm not asking) just curious if its random, seems it happens with HTC and Samsung Galaxy phone more, (Iphone dont seem to be affected by it)

2) Has anyone noticed that the headlights even being HID dont seem bright, or dont reach out far enough? The dealership is adjusting them, even though they said it was to spec. The reason why I ask is cause a few days ago I noticed that they dont seem to reach far enough out, as a great example there was a deer standing on the side of the road and I didnt see the damn thing until I was about 5 feet away, thank goodness the beast was smart enough to just stand there. I feel the beam doesnt reach far enough out. I own a 2012 C6 Vette with HID's also (stock) and it reaches way farther then my 2016.

3) Fog lights (2 part ??):

a) One night I decided to turn them on to see how they looked, and to my surprise All it seems to do is light up the sides of the car, when I brought this up to the dealer, he told me that fog lights are meant to light up the lines on the sides of either side of the car and not illuminate in front of the car. Now unless I'm wrong, isnt the idea of fog lights being lower to the ground suppose to in theory cut under the fog and illuminate about 5-10ft in front of you to see the road since the headlights become somewhat useless due to it reflecting off the fog?

b) And am I reading right? The led fog bulbs cant be user replaced? There not serviceable?

Also just for anyone who might be interested, even though its not on Ford's Sync 3 compatible app link list, If anyone uses spotify on their phones, Sync 3 will pick it up and link it to your car to use just like pandora.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:49 AM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

Dude this car has some seriously awesome headlights. Much brighter and further reach than my 2012 F150. The brights will light up signs at half a mile away. They have a distinguished cutoff tho due to HID design to not blind other drivers, so maybe just a slight adjustment is needed. Also the right should shine further than the left by design.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:00 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by AngelDeath
Greets all,

I have a few questions hoping to compare answers:

I just got my 2016 GT Premium Cali Pack 2 weeks ago, and I've had some issues which the dealership is fixing (Came from the plant that way) but here is what I'm curious about:

1) Has anyone here had there HTC or Samsung using the native email app on the phone had the sync 3 get confused and pick up emails instead of text msgs? This has happened to me 3 times and I was curious if anyone has had this happen? If I use a third party email app like "Blue Mail" it doesnt happen. I know the reason why it happens (which i'm not asking) just curious if its random, seems it happens with HTC and Samsung Galaxy phone more, (Iphone dont seem to be affected by it)

2) Has anyone noticed that the headlights even being HID dont seem bright, or dont reach out far enough? The dealership is adjusting them, even though they said it was to spec. The reason why I ask is cause a few days ago I noticed that they dont seem to reach far enough out, as a great example there was a deer standing on the side of the road and I didnt see the damn thing until I was about 5 feet away, thank goodness the beast was smart enough to just stand there. I feel the beam doesnt reach far enough out. I own a 2012 C6 Vette with HID's also (stock) and it reaches way farther then my 2016.

3) Fog lights (2 part ??):

a) One night I decided to turn them on to see how they looked, and to my surprise All it seems to do is light up the sides of the car, when I brought this up to the dealer, he told me that fog lights are meant to light up the lines on the sides of either side of the car and not illuminate in front of the car. Now unless I'm wrong, isnt the idea of fog lights being lower to the ground suppose to in theory cut under the fog and illuminate about 5-10ft in front of you to see the road since the headlights become somewhat useless due to it reflecting off the fog?

b) And am I reading right? The led fog bulbs cant be user replaced? There not serviceable?

Also just for anyone who might be interested, even though its not on Ford's Sync 3 compatible app link list, If anyone uses spotify on their phones, Sync 3 will pick it up and link it to your car to use just like pandora.
Hey AngelDeath,

I'd like to chime in regarding the SYNC 3 system picking up texts as emails. We've heard of this happening with Android phones and there is a setting in the phone that you can turn off email notifications. If you have any questions regarding the phone settings, it would be best to contact your carrier.

Cara
Old 06-30-2016, 01:44 PM
AngelDeath
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay-rod427
Dude this car has some seriously awesome headlights. Much brighter and further reach than my 2012 F150. The brights will light up signs at half a mile away. They have a distinguished cutoff tho due to HID design to not blind other drivers, so maybe just a slight adjustment is needed. Also the right should shine further than the left by design.
Well the dealer just adjusted them up, I clearly dont have your success, but now they adjusted it so I'll see.

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hey AngelDeath,

I'd like to chime in regarding the SYNC 3 system picking up texts as emails. We've heard of this happening with Android phones and there is a setting in the phone that you can turn off email notifications. If you have any questions regarding the phone settings, it would be best to contact your carrier.

Cara
Hi Cara,

Understand that I too am a Computer Systems/Network Security & Cell phone consultant and have my own business, so I do know abit about what is going on.

What you suggested doesn't solve it, I already tried it when I read about that 2 weeks ago, it worked for about 2 days. I had to revert to a 3rd party app as I said and then it stopped. Now I reverted back to my native email app because the dealer cant do anything unless they see it happen, and for some reason in the past week it hasnt happened yet (And hope it stays that way)

Some info for you to take to your techs:

1) The problem is NOT the phone.
2) Its not the CARRIER.
(Proved that by switching to Blue Mail)

3) The problem also doesn't get corrected with email notification off. I know I tried.

The problem is, as your techs know that when you are using bluetooth to transmit files, contacts, texts, recent calls etc, all use the Bluetooth MAP (Message access profile), the problem is when using the native email app on the Samsung and HTC phones, the native email app also uses the bluetooth (MAP), which is why the sync 3 gets confused, again it doesn't happen always its random, I dont think they anticipated that the email app built in (which most likely is googles in the android OS) used MAP, depending on the commands used in MAP.

Thats why if you use: Blue mail, K-9 Mail, G-Mail, Google Inbox the problem doesnt occur as far as I know, this is due to them being considered 3rd party apps which normally doesnt come with the phone installed and doesn't use Bluetooth MAP (Not 100% sure about G-Mail).

And since we are on this subject, here's a question that puzzles me, Since the sync 3 uses wifi only for checking for updates:

1) Why is there no button to force check for updates?
2) How often does it/ suppose to check for updates? (1x day, 1x week?)

Also since the HTC (and im sure other cell also do) can be set as a router/hotspot to connect other devices to use the data, I set up my Sync 3 to connect to my phone as its WiFi connection so it always has a connection, why does the Wifi shut off when the car is in motion? Obviously the Wifi isnt being used for anything but updates so there is no safety issue there.

Also a suggestion: You should really consider changing the limit of POI's allowed from 3 to 4, or just like you have restaurants as a category choice which picks ALL you should have the same for the others. If I wanted to pick the POI's: Food, Bank, ATM, Fuel it wont allow it, but if we had the choice of: Food (Since its the whole category), Finances (like food would check off both ATM and Bank), and Travel (Which is where Fuel is put) it would be better, I understand the concept is too much on the screen either would cluttered or slow the Sync 3 down, but I would say on avg normally people set up 4 POI's.

So it would be a better idea that you can have the same option as you do in food where you can pick the whole category or individuals, where as the other POI's dont have that option.

Just food for thought
Old 06-30-2016, 03:47 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Well the dealer just adjusted them up, I clearly dont have your success, but now they adjusted it so I'll see.

Hi Cara,

Understand that I too am a Computer Systems/Network Security & Cell phone consultant and have my own business, so I do know abit about what is going on.

What you suggested doesn't solve it, I already tried it when I read about that 2 weeks ago, it worked for about 2 days. I had to revert to a 3rd party app as I said and then it stopped. Now I reverted back to my native email app because the dealer cant do anything unless they see it happen, and for some reason in the past week it hasnt happened yet (And hope it stays that way)

Some info for you to take to your techs:

1) The problem is NOT the phone.
2) Its not the CARRIER.
(Proved that by switching to Blue Mail)

3) The problem also doesn't get corrected with email notification off. I know I tried.

The problem is, as your techs know that when you are using bluetooth to transmit files, contacts, texts, recent calls etc, all use the Bluetooth MAP (Message access profile), the problem is when using the native email app on the Samsung and HTC phones, the native email app also uses the bluetooth (MAP), which is why the sync 3 gets confused, again it doesn't happen always its random, I dont think they anticipated that the email app built in (which most likely is googles in the android OS) used MAP, depending on the commands used in MAP.

Thats why if you use: Blue mail, K-9 Mail, G-Mail, Google Inbox the problem doesnt occur as far as I know, this is due to them being considered 3rd party apps which normally doesnt come with the phone installed and doesn't use Bluetooth MAP (Not 100% sure about G-Mail).

And since we are on this subject, here's a question that puzzles me, Since the sync 3 uses wifi only for checking for updates:

1) Why is there no button to force check for updates?
2) How often does it/ suppose to check for updates? (1x day, 1x week?)

Also since the HTC (and im sure other cell also do) can be set as a router/hotspot to connect other devices to use the data, I set up my Sync 3 to connect to my phone as its WiFi connection so it always has a connection, why does the Wifi shut off when the car is in motion? Obviously the Wifi isnt being used for anything but updates so there is no safety issue there.

Also a suggestion: You should really consider changing the limit of POI's allowed from 3 to 4, or just like you have restaurants as a category choice which picks ALL you should have the same for the others. If I wanted to pick the POI's: Food, Bank, ATM, Fuel it wont allow it, but if we had the choice of: Food (Since its the whole category), Finances (like food would check off both ATM and Bank), and Travel (Which is where Fuel is put) it would be better, I understand the concept is too much on the screen either would cluttered or slow the Sync 3 down, but I would say on avg normally people set up 4 POI's.

So it would be a better idea that you can have the same option as you do in food where you can pick the whole category or individuals, where as the other POI's dont have that option.

Just food for thought
Hi AngelDeath,

SYNC 3 generally updates over the air, but you can also check your SYNC account if there are updates available. I don't have a time frame on when updates are released, but you'll see the availability in the account if there is one.

The WiFi should still work when the vehicle is in motion, as long as the HotSpot is within range. If the HotSpot is in the vehicle and you're still having issues with it not working, I would perform a module reset. To do so: Select radio > Hold the power button (center of the volume ****) + the right-seek button at the same time for up to 5 seconds.

I understand your frustrations and think it's also important to make your voice heard. To share general ideas with Ford Motor Company on how we can enhance our products and services, please visit http://social.ford.com

Cara
Old 07-01-2016, 12:38 AM
AngelDeath
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi AngelDeath,

SYNC 3 generally updates over the air, but you can also check your SYNC account if there are updates available. I don't have a time frame on when updates are released, but you'll see the availability in the account if there is one.
You need to check your facts again, updates do not occur OTA on 2016 mustangs, they occur only through WiFi.

The WiFi should still work when the vehicle is in motion, as long as the HotSpot is within range. If the HotSpot is in the vehicle and you're still having issues with it not working, I would perform a module reset. To do so: Select radio > Hold the power button (center of the volume ****) + the right-seek button at the same time for up to 5 seconds.
WiFi does not work while the car is in motion, this can be clearly seen once the car is in motion over 1 mph the wifi radio wave icon disappears, then reappears once the car is under 1mph or stopped.

I understand your frustrations and think it's also important to make your voice heard. To share general ideas with Ford Motor Company on how we can enhance our products and services, please visit http://social.ford.com

Cara
Thanks but that social site doesnt have 2016 as a choice, and seems more for bragging rights then a suggestion site.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:19 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Dat's was fog light is su post ta do!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:03 AM
MarkThorn
2nd Gear Member

I found the originals were too yellowish and I did replace them with those (and it's really easy to do, 5 minutes):

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-PHILIP.../12362cvs2.htm
Old 07-01-2016, 11:23 AM
AngelDeath
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MarkThorn
I found the originals were too yellowish and I did replace them with those (and it's really easy to do, 5 minutes):

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-PHILIP.../12362cvs2.htm
So the bulbs on a 2016 are replaceable? I read and was told you have to replace the whole fog light enclosure. Cause I cant find any info on this at all.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:58 AM
MarkThorn
2nd Gear Member

Yes you can. Check in your owner guide - Maintenance - Changing a bulb (page 224-225).

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_07_2015.pdf

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some questions for you all.