Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

V6 or Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 07:14 AM
61mcad

Default V6 or Ecoboost

I'm new here but not new to Mustangs. Have had an 88 LX 5.0 hatchback, a 82 GT, 96 V6 coupe and an 06 GT. Looking at getting a new 16 or 17 V6 or Ecoboost Turbo as a GT isn't in the budget right now. If any of you have either one let me know your likes dislikes and such. This will be a daily driver except for extreme winter weather and the drive is 5 minutes to and from work. TIA
Old 08-25-2016, 07:52 AM
JimC

If you want "creature comforts" for your daily drive, then get the ecoboost. You can't get the interior upgrade on the V6. I am not sure if you even get heated seats with the V6.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:16 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Well, I guess it depends on what you consider "creature comforts?" The V6 models only come in base trim so all you'll get is the cloth interior. You'll have to go Ecoboost at a minimum to get the premium trim and leather interior. My experience with cloth and leather is that cloth generally holds up better but I don't know if that will be true on the Mustang or not. There are certain options you can only get on the premium trim. If any of those things are on your must have list, then the Ecoboost or GT will be required.

From what I understand, the V6 and Ecoboost aren't that far apart in performance with the Ecoboost having a slight advantage and the I-4 should have an advantage in fuel economy but that'll probably be more up to how you drive than the car itself. If none of that is important to you, I'd get the V6 as you should be able to get a pretty good price on it. If Ford would offer the V6 in a premium version, it would be my choice. As it is, I want some of those premium only options so it'll be Ecoboost at least for me but I find my self leaning more and more toward the GT, assuming I can swing the extra money. That's yet to be determined though. Next spring maybe, assuming certain other things line up.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:39 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I would go with v-6.

Not sold on the long term ecoboost.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:40 PM
MARFOR

Do some more research on both to see pro's and con's; also you might be able to get a great deal on a 2016 5.0. I've seen them as low as $33,500 new (w/PP). Just saying.

Personally, if I had to chose between the V-6 or the I-4 EcoBoost, I'd take the I-4. Lighter, better performance, and better fuel economy. Also, if you are into performance modifications the I-4 will be better too.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:13 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

If could only have one of those 2, ecoboost hands down.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:33 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

I don't know, the 2.3 is a relatively new engine in Ford's lineup, at least on the Mustang anyway. I've read comments that it's been around in other applications for a number of years now but the bottom line is, it's not an engine I'm familiar with. The V6 on the other hand, has been around in the Mustang for a while now and, as far as I can tell, has a pretty good reputation. If Ford would offer the premium trim on the V6, I'd seriously consider it as there are certain options that I really want but are only available on the premium trims.

Having said that, the 2.3 turbo is the minimum I'd go for simply because I can get it in a premium trim and while it might be taking a risk from a reliability standpoint, it wouldn't be my first turbocharged car and I know from experience that the reliability thing is as much about how you drive and maintain it as it is about anything else. The turbo does offer a level of complexity that has the potential of creating problems down the road but it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. The GT has a lot of appeal but adds a LOT to the cost of the car too, not to mention the fuel economy hit you'll take with it. If none of that is an issue for you, then there's really no decision to make. If purchase price and fuel costs are an issue, and I'm still trying to figure that out in my case, then the Ecoboost is an appealing option. I'm not quite ready to buy yet and I'm beginning to think that I won't be able to actually make a decision until I am ready. I've driven a GT before but have never been behind the wheel of an Ecoboost yet. That's something I'll change before I get there.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:46 AM
Tallica4life81
2nd Gear Member

I'm very happy with my v6. I will say the auto trans sux *** tho. I bought an auto because I just didn't want to be shifting gears all the time and now I find every single tuner out there can't get the shifting spot on and all I ever seem to do is tell it when to downshift since it never goes into the gear I want. But other than that it does have power. I have a 0-60 of 5.5 when it's not humid as hell out. That's with an auto tho the manuals supposably have been getting as fast as 4.7 with a tune
Old 10-01-2016, 09:51 PM
fly47

At 68, for my coming b'day, I bought a 2016 Race Red v6 with auto trans. Don't need more than 300hp around this town. The right amount of high tech comforts compared to my '01 Ford Focus sta wag which I still drive.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:29 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Not to create an argument.... really.... but why avoid the 5.0L? I get good mileage if I keep my foot out of it. I'm getting 17 to 19 around town & 30 on the highway at 70 MPH WITH A SUPERCHARGER! Do you need better mileage than that? I had a 3.5 Ecoboost in a pickup & I now have the 2.0L Ecoboost in my wife's new Edge. Zero problems.... but you'll likely have no problems with any of them!

Quick Reply: V6 or Ecoboost