Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Horrible sound on new GT-Videos

Old 10-26-2016, 09:34 AM
MustangP51D

Default Horrible sound on new GT-Videos

I purchased a 2016 Mustang GT back in June and it has developed a rather nasty sound coming from the shiftier area. Rather than trying to describe the sound I have attached two videos of what I am talking about. This started at around 5,000 miles and happened right around 4,000 RPM. It currently has 8,000 miles and is starting to get louder and appear at lower RPMs.

So the story so far...

A few months ago I took the vehicle into the dealer at 5,000 miles, the mechanic working on the vehicle test drove it and heard the noise. He said it was not normal, and sounded like it was emanating from the transmission. I was also told that Ford was aware of this, but has not offered any guidance on a fix so no corrective action was done.

Now to today... I brought the Mustang back to the dealer because the sound is now starting at lower RPMs (down as low as 2,000) It has been there for a week. I got a much different answer this time than I did last time. At first they claimed they didn't hear the sound I was talking about. (Even though it was in the notes from the last visit). They agreed to test drive it again in the morning to see if they could reproduce. I called back the next day and the dealer said the mechanic did hear the noise and they had it on the lift trying to diagnose. Sat/Sun/Mon go by and I had not heard anything from the dealer so I called them. Here is were the story changes completely...

..They said that the noise was completely normal and sounds like any other GT mustang with a manual transmission!

So my question to you guys. Do all your Mustangs sound like this? What do you think this is?

I have to go pick up the vehicle this afternoon.

Thanks in advance.
-Ryan

Old 10-26-2016, 10:44 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Honestly can't tell anything from those videos. All I heard was the sweet sound of American muscle.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:01 AM
MustangP51D

Originally Posted by proeagles
Honestly can't tell anything from those videos. All I heard was the sweet sound of American muscle.
There is a pretty profound rattle-like noise over the sound of the engine...
Old 10-26-2016, 12:50 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

check your shift linkage, and make sure that the driveshaft to trans flange attaching bolts are snapped off from doing 7k rpm clutch dumps,(causes the driveshaft to wobble and contact shift linkage), like the one i had to fix last month.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:49 AM
krssrls

Go to a different ford dealer.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:52 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Yeah. That's not normal. In the video it doesn't really sound mechanical but more like a loose fitting or something. Hard to tell though.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:27 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I turned up louder and can say that is not normal, almost not a rattle but rather a scraping, squealing noise like something is scraping. Go to another Ford dealer.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:21 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

I hear that clicky noise, not normal for sure. Something's loose maybe? Does it stop if you put your hand on the shifter?

Almost sounds like a bad U-Joint.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:01 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Sure it's not exhaust movement? If it isn't keep pushing the issue.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:19 AM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by krssrls
Go to a different ford dealer.
I'd try this first. Def doesn't sound normal, I have almost 5K on mine and have never heard that, like a previous post said, sounds like something is loose and vibrating.

Search this Thread