Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Saw the new Mustang in Guard last night...

Old 05-31-2014, 07:57 PM
Lava

I love this color so far, but want to see a couple more in person before deciding
Old 05-31-2014, 08:02 PM
Lava

this is the color I saw for guard
Attached Thumbnails Saw the new Mustang in Guard last night...-2015-mustang-guard.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 04:59 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by C. Love
Actually it wont. Most guys that like imports (please please please people stop calling Japanese cars "tuners" so annoying and absolutely wrong) specifically, Japanese cars, aren't attracted to them because they are 4cyl or turbos or a mixture. The looks of Japanese vehicles are different than American cars even if American cars are starting to come around and look similar.

American Cars, the mustang and camaro specifically, have a reputation with them and its not a reputation many guys who have imports will allow them selves to associate with.

So having said all that I doubt a 4cyl turbo mustang will have very many guys who like imports switching brands.
And what reputation is that?
Old 06-01-2014, 11:25 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
And what reputation is that?
Well, speaking about the cars themselves, the imports fans pride their cars in the newest technology and extreme lightness their 4-banger (and a few sixxer) vehicles while actually having the potential to keep up with V8 American muscle cars.

We muscle car and pony car fans pride ourselves in bigger V8 lower end instantaneous torque despite lower tech and the heavier curb weights compared to the JDMs.

It's a car cultural pride issue with each side filled with their own stupid beliefs and ignorant dogmas about ours and their respective cars.
One of these idiotic dogmas is the cosmetics: We American muscle car and pony car fans call JDM cosmetics "rice" because of the faux parts that are bolton onto cars that do not function or even hurt performance such as massive spoilers, JDM flame decals, etc.
We American muscle and pony car fans also have our own non-functional "rice" such as faux scoops and ducts. A hypocritical thing we do which I find amusing and humorous.

However, American muscle and ponies are no longer holding onto the traditional "old dinosaur" tech as we embrace newer techs into our ponies.
All of the Big Three ponies now have cam phasing, with the introduction of the S550, all Big Three ponies now have IRS. Our Mustangs have already went OHC in the 90s and since 2011, all Mustang V6s and GTs are now DOHC with independent cam phasing (TiVCT). Chevy has direct injection in their base 3.6L V6 Camaro trims and will get the new direct injected V8 AFM 6.2L LT1 either in 2015 or in the 2016 6th Gen.
Additionally, the S550 is lighter than the outgoing S197, and the new Zeta 6th Gen Camaro will also shed a few hundred lbf at its initial release.

To further blur the lines between JDM and American ponies, the S550 is already going to be optioned with the 4-banger Ecoboost. I don't know if Chevy will similarly offer the Zeta 6th Gen with a 4-banger option, but to compete in Europe and Asia, I would not put it past GM to offer a 4-banger to meet their displacement taxes, emissions, and fuel economy laws and regs.
With meeting EU and future Japanese pedestrian safety laws and regs, the S550 front end styling has already been sacrificed to meet those pedestrian legs/hips-to-bumper and head-to-hood impact safety requirements. Once Japan ratifies similar pedestrian impact laws and regs, their cars will too look like Aston Martins and our Fusions/Mondeos and S550 Mustangs.

The only thing we and JDM fans will be able to bicker about is which car is American and which car is JDM.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:20 PM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

I was liking the style til i seen this. I don't know if it is the pencil thin tires or what but to me this rear end side view just looks horrible

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7452/1...496b32a4_b.jpg
Old 07-13-2014, 10:33 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by C. Love
Actually it wont. Most guys that like imports (please please please people stop calling Japanese cars "tuners" so annoying and absolutely wrong) specifically, Japanese cars, aren't attracted to them because they are 4cyl or turbos or a mixture. The looks of Japanese vehicles are different than American cars even if American cars are starting to come around and look similar.

American Cars, the mustang and camaro specifically, have a reputation with them and its not a reputation many guys who have imports will allow them selves to associate with.

So having said all that I doubt a 4cyl turbo mustang will have very many guys who like imports switching brands.

I have to disagree with your analysis. I had "my 2010" in a college car show last year and took home peoples choice award. You know what the show was made up of? 75% tuner cars. The tuner crowd loved my car. So it is not Mustang or American that they don't like it is nostalgia and the new Mustang as enough real style and beauty to garner a lot of new buyers.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wanakanabe
I was liking the style til i seen this. I don't know if it is the pencil thin tires or what but to me this rear end side view just looks horrible

You do realize that tires have come a long way in their engineering. And that in order to fit bigger brakes and rotors its just common sense that those tires are going to get wrapped around larger wheel diameters. Example below...

In fact its now the driving force to test larger wheels and lower profile tires in F1 formula racing. As Pirelli is now echoing what other tire companies have said when they were the providers of rubber for the F1 circuit. They have nothing to gain and nothing to learn from equipping Formula cars with small wheels and TALL fat tires. In order for the suspension and the brakes to evolve into safer and more effective components and safety for F1 racing.... they have to move forward and equip these vehicles with what the consumers are using.... therefore larger wheels and better engineered lower profile WIDER tires.

Boom
---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 07-17-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:37 PM
dslpow3r
1st Gear Member

I have a question. I did notice in the picture on the 15's they flip flopped the RPM and the speedo gauge. any particular reason why?

Last edited by dslpow3r; 07-18-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:35 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dslpow3r
I have a question. I did notice in the picture on the 15's they flip flopped the RPM and the speedo gauge. any particular reason why?
No they didn't? RPM on left, speedo on right. That's how my 2009 is.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:40 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by dslpow3r
Originally Posted by gmoran1469
No they didn't? RPM on left, speedo on right. That's how my 2009 is.
In 2011 Ford moved the tach to the right side, unlike the 2005-10 model years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saw the new Mustang in Guard last night...