Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

2015 Ecoboost Convertible Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 10:40 AM
MtnMustang
1st Gear Member

Default 2015 Ecoboost Convertible Discussion

So I am likely to buy a 2015 Convertible later this year for my Wife.

Originally my plan was a V6 standard convertible, but now I am more interested in an Ecoboost Automatic Conv.

What I am finding out is it seems you can not get the Ecoboost engine in the base package with the Convertible like with the V6. The premium package does add a fair amount to the car, but some nice upgrades. Is this correct no base EB Conv?

Thoughts on the V6 compared to the EB.
My friend / Ford Dealer said the EB has better resale and is in higher demand than the V6. Frankly not concerned about resale, but do like the improved performance and mpg.

I have driven the EB in a fastback and its a sweet running engine. I am on the fence on which direction. Save some money with the V6, or just jump in and wonder if it will be worth to go with an EB Premium Conv.

One reason for my dilemma is that I like the new Mustang enough that I may sell my 65 to buy the one I really want and sort of share it with my wife. I will DD her current 13 Explorer cuz I am giving my Fusion to one of my kids.

Anyway - Thoughts??
Old 03-20-2015, 11:47 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

What I am finding out is it seems you can not get the Ecoboost engine in the base package with the Convertible like with the V6. The premium package does add a fair amount to the car, but some nice upgrades. Is this correct no base EB Conv?
there is no base-level convertible for either the Ecoboost or GT. on the other hand, there is no Premium-level trim for the V6.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:16 PM
wildsailor

Some of my thoughts but stricktly my opinion...

V6 Convertible - yes, only option available as a 'base' car.

Benefits - lower cost, V6 does not sound like a 4 cylinder, no turbo so 'real world' mileage may actually be better than the EB (my boss claims his EB manual is getting more like the FE of the 5.0L than the quoted number but he admits he is on the throttle), stand alone 3:55 axle upgrade, and an optional 051 package that includes a wheel upgrade and power driver seat.

Drawbacks - does not have the selectable drive modes so no 'snow' mode (one of my main considerations) or heated seats. Also, what is a "2-way" passenger seat? Is that only moving back and forth with no recline or is it recline without moving back and forth?

EB Convertible - only comes in Premium trim.

Benefits - heated/cooled seats, heated mirrors, selectable drive modes, pony projection lights, lighted door sills, and all the rest of the Premium stuff. Passenger seat is 6-way power. Nice wheels on the base Premium package.

Drawbacks - no axle updates without the Performance Package, cost of the Premium package, 4-cylinder exhaust sound. Fuel economy may be substantially less than projected due to the turbo.

With all that said I went from considering a V6 coupe to a base EB coupe. Then to the EB Premium to get 'snow mode' and then to considering a GT coupe but went back to the EB Premium to get the drive modes. And that is, well, that!

I hope all this rambling helps....
Old 03-20-2015, 01:47 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

For a current model car(I've yet to see one vert on the street,and have only seen two coupes) I don't know how a dealer can make a comment about resale value this soon.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:45 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camster
For a current model car(I've yet to see one vert on the street,and have only seen two coupes) I don't know how a dealer can make a comment about resale value this soon.
I was thinking the same thing.

But on to the bigger thing, you might sell a 1965 to get one of these, I think you need to rethink this, I would bet money it would not take you very long after selling, to be kicking yourself for doing so.
Sounds like you need to really go look at a v-6 basic, and an Ecoboost premium and decide if all the extras are worth the money (to you).
To me premium is the way to go, might not be for you, good luck have fun.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:54 PM
MtnMustang
1st Gear Member

Dang, some really solid advice and comments. I really appreciate it.

I am not planning to buy until August which is when my kids are back to school and will be driving every day and I will be short a DD. I have a Jeep that I take to the airport but its not a car I take on local dealer visits.

I hear ya on regretting selling the 65. But frankly I bought it for my wife and I to enjoy together and it turned into my car. So well see when the time comes to pull the trigger.

FYI, I am buying a used Focus for my daughter tonight, and in looking a found a 04 SVT Focus that my oldest son and I want to buy cuz its cheap and want to make it a AM Rally or a Autocross car, may 24 de lemon. Well see. Just need to get the PO from my wife.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:04 PM
swscoo

Hello-I went through a similar exercise for 4 months trying to figure out whether to go coupe or ragtop...then it was ECO convert or ECO Premium Coupe or GT Premium...I finally decided to go with ECO Coupe in Premium with interior upgrade, 201A pack, rear sensor, auto, spare tire/wheel, etc...I wanted a trunk-no usable trunk in the convert, I wanted the premium pack goodies, Build date is week of 4.6.15...I am psyched and like a couple others above-the ECO Premium may be the most practical at the price with all the toys you can get right now.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:37 PM
wildsailor

Originally Posted by swscoo
Hello-I went through a similar exercise for 4 months trying to figure out whether to go coupe or ragtop...then it was ECO convert or ECO Premium Coupe or GT Premium...I finally decided to go with ECO Coupe in Premium with interior upgrade, 201A pack, rear sensor, auto, spare tire/wheel, etc...I wanted a trunk-no usable trunk in the convert, I wanted the premium pack goodies, Build date is week of 4.6.15...I am psyched and like a couple others above-the ECO Premium may be the most practical at the price with all the toys you can get right now.
Our cars are going to be going down the line about the same time! Pretty cool and congratulations.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:53 PM
Robs05gtvert
2nd Gear Member

Default 2015 convertible

I've decided to take the plunge on the 2015. Only debate I had was the GT or the Ecoboost. I am now leaning heavily towards the EB. I think I will miss that "rumble," but I ilke the benefits it provides. On to the dealership...
Old 04-19-2015, 03:22 PM
swscoo

took delivery of my ECO Premium last saturday...have no regrets-the ECO is a badass engine and the Premium version is all I want/need with how I optioned it...!!!

Quick Reply: 2015 Ecoboost Convertible Discussion