Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Ordering a 2016

Old 09-23-2015, 04:09 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Ordering a 2016

I know many think I'm too hard on Ford Salespeople, but it is becoming clear most of them either cannot fathom how to order a car, or are too lazy to want to be bothered with ordering a car! They will contact you & tell you that you can't get those options together that you have checked on with "Build & Price" .... BUT they go on to say, "I've found a car for you that has most of the options you want.... so come in & bring your checkbook!"
Old 09-23-2015, 04:19 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I had absolutely no issues ordering my 2015 with exactly the options I wanted.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:49 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
I had absolutely no issues ordering my 2015 with exactly the options I wanted.
Good for you! You must have found a good salesman! I'll get what I want if I have to fill out the form myself! Part of my problem is that I'm wanting a major discount too! I'm expecting to get it a major discount, ($41,550 MSRP to $37,500 plus T & L.) so surprisingly....most dealerships don't consider me a preferred customer!

Great looking car, but the color wouldn't work in the High Desert of Calif.!

Last edited by Mr. D; 09-23-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:53 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

What does the dealer pay for the $ 41,550 MSRP car ?
Might be a little early for a 4K discount on a 2016 MY.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
What does the dealer pay for the $ 41,550 MSRP car ?
Might be a little early for a 4K discount on a 2016 MY.
I'll let you know! I guess I'll find out! Remember they have a "hold back" & then a discount when they finally pay Ford! It's tough to get a major discount, but you know if they sell the car, there is still a little profit left! The main issue is that a "Customer Order" doesn't affect the allocation of a popular model! Getting that kind of a discount on a car on the lot is far more difficult because they feel they are losing a greater profit to what they call a "Lay Down" that has to have that car & is just paying a little more on a monthly payment! My last Mustang was an '08 Premium for $25K & I put a Roush Supercharger on it & had a $32K in it! I sold it a few months ago & lost the cost of the supercharger. This will probably be my last Mustang since I'm old as dirt!
Old 09-23-2015, 03:00 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

When I ordered mine everything was a package.

I wanted a backup camera and I had to buy this package which included remote start and a couple other things. I couldn't just order the backup camera by itself according to the salesman that sold me the car.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Good for you! You must have found a good salesman! I'll get what I want if I have to fill out the form myself! Part of my problem is that I'm wanting a major discount too! I'm expecting to get it a major discount, ($41,550 MSRP to $37,500 plus T & L.) so surprisingly....most dealerships don't consider me a preferred customer!

Great looking car, but the color wouldn't work in the High Desert of Calif.!
I know exactly why they won't lay down for you when special ordering a car....it's not on their lot. It costs them money (square footage, cleaning costs, etc) to keep cars in stock and in most cases it's inventory that's already been paid for in part.

If you read the small print in all the ads that are run on TV, magazines, and news papers, it always states that discounts apply to vehicles only in stock and excludes special orders or certain models.

When you special order a car they don't get the same incentives from the MFG as they would for cars they buy in fleet. It's a one-off special order that costs them more both in the bottom line and their margin sheet every month. So, no surprise they aren't willing to cut a big deal for $37500 Total out the door price on a $41500 car. Your asking them to eat the difference of $4K plus the sales tax and licensing fees difference which is another $6K for a total of $10K (assuming ~10% on sales tax + ~5% for license and doc fees based on the MSRP).
Old 09-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I guess I wasn't clear. I was talking about the price of the car "before" T & L.

In any case, I got a response offer which is just short of 9% below MSRP. My information says they are keeping "about" $700. of a $1300 dollar "hold back" that doesn't show on dealer's Invoice "plus" whatever they get as a discount for paying the bill to Ford on the first billing. Where I live the delivery is $900. which I assume is different based on location. I don't think I'm going to do much better than that. It's certainly a reasonable markup on the car. Surprisingly, the smaller dealers gave better prices, & far nicer treatment when I pushed for a better price.

I may be wrong, but my experience is that they do not deal as well on a car already sitting on their lot on popular models because they often cannot get all the cars the can sell due to dealer allocations. I've been told the more cars the dealer sells, the more cars it will get in the popular models. In my area Mustangs don't go begging. Many dealers were out of stock long before the 2016's started arriving, & no dealer within 50 miles would discount their 2015's 9% below MSRP. I'm sure I'm wrong again, but that's the way I see it! I'll post the final price I pay just to give members some info. how my strategy worked in hard numbers. When it comes to MF Members trying to afford buying a new Mustang, I'm on their side, not Fords! I'm quite sure Ford will take care of it's profits, & but we have to take care of our savings accounts & monthly bills!

Last edited by Mr. D; 09-23-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:46 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

So you want them to order a car built with only the options you want even though its not a option package offered at X price and then you are only willing to spend X-A pricing?
Old 09-24-2015, 04:50 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
So you want them to order a car built with only the options you want even though its not a option package offered at X price and then you are only willing to spend X-A pricing?
What the X-A are you talking about?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordering a 2016