Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Heads Up Display Shift Light

Old 10-07-2015, 03:24 PM
PaulH2

Question Heads Up Display Shift Light

I was reading that the GT-350 is to get a heads up display shift light integrated into TrackApps: http://www.svtperformance.com/2015/0...0-shift-light/

Does anybody have any idea if this might be made available for the S550 in general, and if there is any change of retrofitting to a 2015? I know there are quite a few aftermarket HUDs around, but something "official" would be much nicer!
Old 10-08-2015, 06:49 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

I would think it would all depend on what the HUD does. If its just like the one in the video, I don't think it will be too hard if Ford allows for the hook up. But if it were me and I was going to invest the time and money into an HUD, I sure am going to get a HUD that has more than just a dotted line.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:59 AM
mmdpg
1st Gear Member

Maybe this is a generational thing, I've been driving standard shift cars for 40 years and I've never thought to myself "Gee I wish I had a light to tell me when to shift". I glance at the tach. and listen to the engine and feel the acceleration of the car. The whole shift light thing escapes me, is it something used in drag cars?
Old 10-08-2015, 10:08 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmdpg
Maybe this is a generational thing, I've been driving standard shift cars for 40 years and I've never thought to myself "Gee I wish I had a light to tell me when to shift". I glance at the tach. and listen to the engine and feel the acceleration of the car. The whole shift light thing escapes me, is it something used in drag cars?
I believe it has to deal with performance and timing. Driving a stick and listening to the engine to queue when to shift is subjective and probably varies each time you do it. Watching the tach to know when to shift removes your eyes from the road and distracts your attention away from driving, as indicated in the video.

The light that is projected into your driving view simply tells you when the perfect time is to shift to maximize the potential of the engine and gearing ratio. Although, you still have to shift so there would be at least a split second different between the notice and the driver actually shifting, I think that is the idea: Its safer and more optimized to keep the car on a higher performance level.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:57 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

The flashy lights are warning you that you're about to hit the red line which is not the same thing as telling you that it's time to shift. I've not looked at the 5.0's dyno sheets but I'm betting the ideal shift point is a bit before the lights would start flashing.

As for why you'd want this? There are sections where you enter at the top of third and potentially require a shift to 4 or a downshift to 2. Being technical you might not be focused on your auditory senses, your brain being occupied by the kinesthetic feedback from your hands and body telling you how much traction is available and your eyes looking for where to go. The little light flashing may be the only thing keeping you from hitting the fuel cut which might make thing become exciting when the balance of the car suddenly changes. But I'm sure everybody else is far better at this than I am and doesn't need such pedestrian crutches to achieve jaw dropping lap times.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:37 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmdpg
This conversation has been dormant for a while and I'm relatively new to the forum and just stumbled on it, but I absolutely agree with this. I have driven manual transmissioned cars for a long time and at least one that had shift indicator lights and, for me at least, they were nothing but a distraction. Depending on what was going on, I was usually shifting about the time it lit up anyway but there times when I wanted or needed to hang onto a given gear a little longer than usual and really got tired of the dumb light shining in my face telling me to upshift.

To each their own though and I mean no disrespect to anyone who might like this feature. I'd have no problem with Ford adding it if they choose to as long as they leave the option to turn it off if I want to.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:19 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

I think it would be handy if you drag race. Not that I would know, but if you're looking at the road and in the heat of the race miss your shift point and hit the limiter, you loose a ton of time.