Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Performance Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 01:21 PM
caneboy
2nd Gear Member

Default Performance Package

I will be ordering my 2016 Mustang in a couple months. My question is should I get the performance package if i plan on installing the Roush Single Adjustable Coilover Suspension Kit?
Old 01-19-2016, 04:19 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

That depends on you, many would say it's a waist of money, but the big brakes, larger radiator, extra gauges, as well as the wheels and tires are technically worth the price, if those are important to you, ohh almost forgot the 3.73 gearing.
If you can't tell my vote is I would get it.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:20 PM
2016S550

Ditto AK Kayaker... Don't forget all of the extra stabilizer components. If you were to price out all of that in aftermarket, you'd pay twice as much... easy!

Many will argue to skip it and spend your $$$ elsewhere. The wheel/tire upgrade and stabilization components alone might entice me... everything else is gravy. Ordering mine tomorrow. Stock 5.0, no dealer extras except performance package. Serious bang for buck!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:21 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

The PP is a good deal. But if your planning on just parting out the suspension. Then It becomes a question of how much are the other components that will be left worth to you? Those Brembos are pretty sweet.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:25 PM
IslandHopper

If you'll be spending any time on a road-course, the brakes and bracing in the PP are worth the $2500 tag. (you might get the parts a little cheaper, but I figure my time to install, and not-voiding-the-warranty is worth something too.)
Old 01-27-2016, 11:55 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

I would get it. There is alot that comes with the package for the nominal upcharge.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:07 PM
boomer46

Caneboy, get it. I was torn for 6 months on getting the PP or not getting it before I was able to buy mine. Now after almost a year of driving my 2015 GT Premium w/the PP, I'm REALLY glad I got it. At 70 mph, the 3.73's churn up the rear end oil around 2100 rpm, which was a total surprise. I figured I'd be screaming around 2500 rpm at 70, which adds wear & tear to the engine. Glad I asked on a forum what rpm's would be. And gas mileage was a total surprise if I drive it strictly on a highway trip on cruise control at 70 mph....26 mpg, according to the trip planner gauge. If I do the math with a gas receipt & the mileage on my calculator, I still get 25 mpg at 65-70 on the highway. Combined highway & city around 17-18. City only, about 16-17 depending on stop lights. Stiffness...yeah, it's a little stiffer than the non-PP but after all, you ARE driving a sports car. Even the non-PP versions are not made to be a luxury Cadillac. I don't even notice it and when you're on a winding 2 lane road in the countryside, the thing shines. The Brembo's and the larger radiator alone are totally worth it, not to mention the strut tower brace, heavier duty suspension & springs, gauges and the Torsen Rear end. This is just my opinion though based on my experience. Definitely drive one with the PP to make a final decision if you can. I didn't have the luxury, I was living in Alaska at the time (I bought mine (and now live) in Missouri) and our dealer didn't even have a PP Mustang in the showroom or inventory when I was ready to buy.

Last edited by boomer46; 01-30-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:21 AM
vincep99

The brakes have a better feel than on my Z06
Old 02-05-2016, 01:01 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

I have the PP package. It's definitely worth it.
As for the upgrade - I went with the Ford Racing Handling Kit and really like it.
The downside is that the kit does not provide much in the way of adjustability. The sway bars, front and back, provide 2 positions. That's all. As for alignment stuff the Mustang is pretty much toe only.
I also did the subframe braces and they make a pretty big difference coupled with the stiffer springs.
After a lot of research I'm scrapping the plans for headers and doing camber plates so we can dial in some extra camber up front. I'll probably also do the rear toe links in back.

Let us know what you decide and how the Roush kit works for you.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

It comes down to whether you are willing to lose ride quality to pick up handling quality. My decision was the handling quality of a stock Mustang was better than I needed, but the ride is not good enough to stiffen it up with a PP Package. It's all about what is more important to you. The stock suspension & brakes is more than I need, but if I could have ordered it I would have gone with a 55 or 60R tire to improve the ride. With the 40R tires you feel every bump in the road because there is so little tire to flex on bumps. I could tell the difference in ride between a 40R tire & a 50R tire as soon as I pulled off the lot! When I picked up my GT it had 47 lbs. in the tires & you could feel the white lines even with the 50R radials. I can't believe guys that will go to 30R tires. You might as well spray rubber cement on the rims & paint them black with a rattle can! I ONLY POST THIS OPINION TO "INFORM" PEOPLE WHEN THEY MAKE THOSE CHOICES! Everyone should do what makes them happy!

Quick Reply: Performance Package