Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Best engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:31 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Default Best engine?

Putting aside your testosterone and any notion of performance,which is the best,most reliable engine offered? The turbo 4 seems to have some teething problems-it would probably be my first choice otherwise.The 5.0 should be bug free by now,is it?.Is the six a trouble free unit with good longevity? Sure,I like power,but I'm perfectly happy with just a cruiser type convertible.My current 04 GT vert fills that role now,is never stomped on.Thinking about a new 16 in the spring.Cost isn't an issue.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:26 AM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camster
Putting aside your testosterone and any notion of performance,which is the best,most reliable engine offered? The turbo 4 seems to have some teething problems-it would probably be my first choice otherwise.The 5.0 should be bug free by now,is it?.Is the six a trouble free unit with good longevity? Sure,I like power,but I'm perfectly happy with just a cruiser type convertible.My current 04 GT vert fills that role now,is never stomped on.Thinking about a new 16 in the spring.Cost isn't an issue.
The 4.6L v8 (when left naturally aspirated) is probably the best Mustang engine produced in regards to longevity, IMO. With the newest batch it's a tough call, definitely not the i4. That leaves the v8 Coyote or the v6 Cyclone, the problem with the v6 being that it seems Ford is phasing it out and you can't get premium options on it with the 15s/16s and thus parts may be hard to come by in the future since less people are buying them... That being said, I'd vote Coyote.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:14 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the response.I'm driving a 4.6 now,which seems pretty good,now that I know the manifold issue and know how to change it.It's also hard for me to change my thinking of poorer days long ago,when the notion of a car requiring premium gas seemed crazy,and the 4.6 is fine with regular..
Strange as it sounds,I'd be fine with a I4 without the blower and blower issues..In days gone by,we put hundreds of thousands on 2.3s in Pintos,and they held up well.
Perhaps my thinking would change,but I prefer the clutch pedal resistance of my 04 over the new ones.As much as I like stick,I'd probably go with an automatic for a new ride.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:34 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

I'm not aware of any real issues with any of the engines. Ecoboost 2.3s have been out there for a bit now, in both the Mustang and Lincoln MKC, and it's been turned up to 350 hp in the Focus RS.

the 3.7 has been in production for a while now, and is good enough for F-1150 duty apparently.

the 5.0 is still in the Modular engine family. The only "known" issue I'd heard of is the #8 cylinder ran a bit hot on early model years, but usually wasn't a concern unless you started mucking around with ECU tunes or forced induction.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:19 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the response.I'm driving a 4.6 now,which seems pretty good,now that I know the manifold issue and know how to change it.It's also hard for me to change my thinking of poorer days long ago,when the notion of a car requiring premium gas seemed crazy,and the 4.6 is fine with regular..
Strange as it sounds,I'd be fine with a I4 without the blower and blower issues..In days gone by,we put hundreds of thousands on 2.3s in Pintos,and they held up well.
Perhaps my thinking would change,but I prefer the clutch pedal resistance of my 04 over the new ones.As much as I like stick,I'd probably go with an automatic for a new ride.
The 5.0s do not require premium gas. They run at 405 horsepower with 87 octane instead of the 435hp you get at 91+.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:22 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
I'm not aware of any real issues with any of the engines. Ecoboost 2.3s have been out there for a bit now, in both the Mustang and Lincoln MKC, and it's been turned up to 350 hp in the Focus RS.
It's not so much "issues" with the i4 (in regards to my reply), he asked about longevity of the engine and forced induction tends to wear out engines faster is all.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:07 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spork3245
It's not so much "issues" with the i4 (in regards to my reply), he asked about longevity of the engine and forced induction tends to wear out engines faster is all.
Tell that to every 18-wheeler made in the last 50 years.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:55 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
Tell that to every 18-wheeler made in the last 50 years.
You can't compare a car engine to that of an 18-wheeler. They are diesel which is a whole different beast. If Mustangs ran diesel engines then yea, sure, a turbo charged model would last just as long as a non-forced induction model.

Last edited by Spork3245; 01-26-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:33 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Since we don't have a crystal ball, it'll either be the 6er or the 5.0. Both have been in mustangs for the same amount of time now. I haven't heard of either one having major issues. The ecoboost is new, so you can't draw any conclusions because there's no data. All three engines have knock sensors iirc, so fuel grade doesn't matter. That said, the cost of fuel is almost nothing compared to insurance and the cost of the car unless you drive a ton.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:53 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

I cant say with certainty, but isn't the 2.3 the same engine as the 2.0? Just different bore/stroke? if so, then its made excellent headway in the Escape and Fusion.

Quick Reply: Best engine?