Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Mustang Refresh?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 12:23 AM
Adam Michael Cifonelli

Default Mustang Refresh?

Ive been looking around but cant find the info Im looking for. Basically with the New 2016 Camaro SS coming out it pretty much kills the GT 5.0 in performance. However its 5k more expensive. If you invested 5k into mods on a 2016 GT could you narrow the gap to be equal with the new SS?

Also has Ford announced any Mustang refresh? Getting lighter? New Engine? Cause as it stands GM seems to have the edge in the SS vs GT war.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:25 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Also has Ford announced any Mustang refresh?
2019 or 2020.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:43 AM
Phillip123
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
2019 or 2020.
I think I've heard about it being 2020.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:11 AM
Adam Michael Cifonelli

Wow that far away eh. Ford really isnt fast to react are they.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:17 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adam Michael Cifonelli
Neither does Chevy. The Coyote motor came out in 2010 with the 2011 Mustang GTs and have been running 12.7-12.8 quarter mikes (stock) since then. Ford's next update is likely 2-3 years away which is comparatively less time.

I know this doesn't fix the issue for "out of the box" but a $400 programmer + tune drops people's 2015/2016 GTs to a matching 12.3 second quarter mile time.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:46 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

.......... Cause as it stands GM seems to have the edge in the SS vs GT war.
I disagree respectively as we all have different tastes! If you actually look at the lines & drive the car I think the Mustang is nicer. I drove the new Camaro, Corvette & supercharged Cadillac & if I was given one free & had to keep it & not resell it I'd pick the Mustang for looks & how you sit in it. The Mustang feels more open & less closed in. Obviously the Corvette is more of a car as per cost of production parts in it.... but I just don't like it. It's not my style to need cornering, but a GT with the PP Package & supercharger is quite a lot of car. It's as close to a super car that I'll be getting to! I'd like to see one setup like that evaluated on "Top Gear", but only production cars like the GT 350 & 500 usually get on to the shows!
Old 02-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Adam Michael Cifonelli

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I disagree respectively as we all have different tastes! If you actually look at the lines & drive the car I think the Mustang is nicer. I drove the new Camaro, Corvette & supercharged Cadillac & if I was given one free & had to keep it & not resell it I'd pick the Mustang for looks & how you sit in it. The Mustang feels more open & less closed in. Obviously the Corvette is more of a car as per cost of production parts in it.... but I just don't like it. It's not my style to need cornering, but a GT with the PP Package & supercharger is quite a lot of car. It's as close to a super car that I'll be getting to! I'd like to see one setup like that evaluated on "Top Gear", but only production cars like the GT 350 & 500 usually get on to the shows!
I believe the GT and nicer looking and easier to see out of. I just just referring to performance numbers out of the box.. maybe I shouldnt do that so much. However the Mustang def needs to drop weight. I always like the mustang more based on it being lighter.. thats not really the case anymore.

I dont think it needs a total refresh. Just 20 more hp and drop about 150lbs.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:49 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

WTF are you talking about? Those timelines are typical for the industry. A new model is launched, then 3-4 years later they do a mid-cycle action (MCA,) and another 3-4 years after that is a significant re-design. Nobody can react quickly in this industry; it just takes too much time to design, tool, test, validate, and start manufacturing.

I believe the GT and nicer looking and easier to see out of. I just just referring to performance numbers out of the box.. maybe I shouldnt do that so much. However the Mustang def needs to drop weight. I always like the mustang more based on it being lighter.. thats not really the case anymore.

I dont think it needs a total refresh. Just 20 more hp and drop about 150lbs.
You've basically just said they should completely re-design the car. 'cos that's what it would take to pull 150 lbs out of it. In case you hadn't noticed, the Camaro got lighter for 2016 because it moved over to a completely new architecture. from 2010-2015 it was on the GM Zeta platform which was used for lard-assed sedans like the Holden Commodore. the 2016 is built on the Alpha platform which it shares with the Cadillac ATS. I'm not exaggerating when I say the 2016 Camaro is literally a completely different car than the previous one. The current Mustang is still based on the previous S197 but has been heavily re-engineered.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:45 PM
Adam Michael Cifonelli

Originally Posted by jz78817
WTF are you talking about? Those timelines are typical for the industry. A new model is launched, then 3-4 years later they do a mid-cycle action (MCA,) and another 3-4 years after that is a significant re-design. Nobody can react quickly in this industry; it just takes too much time to design, tool, test, validate, and start manufacturing.

You've basically just said they should completely re-design the car. 'cos that's what it would take to pull 150 lbs out of it. In case you hadn't noticed, the Camaro got lighter for 2016 because it moved over to a completely new architecture. from 2010-2015 it was on the GM Zeta platform which was used for lard-assed sedans like the Holden Commodore. the 2016 is built on the Alpha platform which it shares with the Cadillac ATS. I'm not exaggerating when I say the 2016 Camaro is literally a completely different car than the previous one. The current Mustang is still based on the previous S197 but has been heavily re-engineered.
Well... facts are Chevy's new SS is light years ahead of the current 5.0 in performance numbers. Id just like Ford to answer.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:52 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Well... facts are Chevy's new SS is light years ahead of the current 5.0 in performance numbers. Id just like Ford to answer.
well you're going to have to wait. you can't just snap your fingers and expect something to be released in a year. Rushing cars into production is just setting yourself up for recalls and warranty spend later.