Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Underestimating the 6 speed auto trans!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 05:37 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Underestimating the 6 speed auto trans!

Consider new GT with an automatic.... really?? The GT automatic is actually a lot of fun to drive too. I've found there's a whole new learning curve in using the paddle shifters with Sport or Track Mode that takes a while to master... at least for me! It is amazing how much of the standard transmission feel they've captured in the auto! If I downshift a couple of gears going around a turn the supercharger kicks in with the increased rev's & I'm going sideways if I'm not careful. Don't underestimate the fun of the auto trans. while still having easy, old man driving in heavy traffic. What I didn't expect was to be able to combine paddle shifting with the standard automatic drive mode. You can downshift a couple of gears in the standard drive mode & take off accelerating, & then when you take your foot out of it the automatic transmission takes over again! When I go to local Cruise Nights I have a laminated sign that says "Poor Man's Supercar" & has a all the specs on the car. I saves a lot of people coming up to me & asking questions about the car. It's corny, but who cares! I have heated & cool seats... I've been told!

Last edited by Mr. D; 07-04-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:36 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

What I like about it is that in the sport or track mode, the trans actually brakes like a standard when you let off the gas so you get that nice burble slowing down. If you put the shifter in the S mode, the trans only shifts with the paddle shifters just like a manual. I just wish it would upshift a little faster.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:34 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I was a die hard manual lover but like you this new 6-speed automatic converted me over.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:30 PM
Tallica4life81
2nd Gear Member

I really hate the hard downshift when slowing down at a red light in sport mode. It shifts into first way to early and nose dives.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:53 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tallica4life81
I really hate the hard downshift when slowing down at a red light in sport mode. It shifts into first way to early and nose dives.
I don't don't use Sport Mode too much. If I want to play around I usually just downshift with the paddle shifters & give it the gas, then when I get off it the trans reacts just like in regular shifting mode. If yours is shifting into 1st gear at too high a speed you might check with the dealer. I haven't noticed a nose dive!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:05 AM
Tallica4life81
2nd Gear Member

It does it when slowly braking at a light. My girlfriend even over was like why did you slam your brakes and I as like no the auto trans just down shifted into first
Old 07-06-2016, 09:44 AM
daytripper
1st Gear Member

It does it when slowly braking at a light. My girlfriend even over was like why did you slam your brakes and I as like no the auto trans just down shifted into first
I assume English is not your 1st or perhaps 2nd language?
Old 07-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

"Aggressive down shifts" are what you're referencing. I hate it, when pulling up to a red light or stop sign it makes me sound like a kid who just got his first manual transmission car who doesn't know how to downshift yet.
I heard that a tuner/programmer removes it, though.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I tested mine today a few times. The transmission did not shift into 1st hard, but I noticed that when I braked the stopping was a little more abrupt. That doesn't make sense to me, but each time I stopped, the transmission shifted down OK... reasonably smoothly, but then when I used the brakes to stop completely they seemed to grab a little! ???? Anyone have an idea what could cause that? Is that what you are talking about?
Old 07-06-2016, 05:32 PM
Tallica4life81
2nd Gear Member

No mine definitely shifts into first and nose dives when Im in sport mode auto when slowly decelerating to a complete stop. Since I'm used to it I take my foot off the brake when it down shifts and it doesn't nose dive then press down after the shift to stop