Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Anybody have blue smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 05:36 PM
disty22

Default Anybody have blue smoke?

I just bought a 2016 Mustang GT about 3.5 weeks ago. It has just over 1250 miles on it (had 570 on it when I bought it). Right now at every start up it is rolling blue smoke out of only the left side exhaust. Took it to ford they couldn't find a problem and told me it was fine. My guess is that a valve is leaking. Has anybody noticed this with their mustang? Or is this normal break in period?
Old 08-17-2016, 09:18 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Does it do this at "every" start? I mean, you drive it 100 miles, park and shut it off, then restart after two minutes and it still does it? Or is it after the car has been sitting for a while?

I wouldn't think it would be a valve problem, per say. If you had a valve leaking any at all, that cylinder would be down on compression. If that were bad enough, you'd feel it in how the engine was running. Blue smoke is usually oil related. I've seen valve oil seals leak that allows oil to trickle into the combustion chamber. I've also seen issues with oil rings on the pistons that allow it to draw oil into the combustion chamber.

570 miles seems like a lot of miles on a new car. Was it a demonstrator? Those cars don't usually have an easy life. I'd be questioning how it was driven while it was in the break-in period. At 1250, the break-in is pretty much over with by now. I don't doubt the dealer isn't finding anything specific wrong at this point. If it's running right, I'd just keep a close eye on the oil levels. If it's using oil excessively, then you'll have a claim. If not, and it's performing properly otherwise, I'd just drive it and not worry about it.

Good luck,
Steve R.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:56 AM
daytripper
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
Does it do this at "every" start? I mean, you drive it 100 miles, park and shut it off, then restart after two minutes and it still does it? Or is it after the car has been sitting for a while?

I wouldn't think it would be a valve problem, per say. If you had a valve leaking any at all, that cylinder would be down on compression. If that were bad enough, you'd feel it in how the engine was running. Blue smoke is usually oil related. I've seen valve oil seals leak that allows oil to trickle into the combustion chamber. I've also seen issues with oil rings on the pistons that allow it to draw oil into the combustion chamber.

570 miles seems like a lot of miles on a new car. Was it a demonstrator? Those cars don't usually have an easy life. I'd be questioning how it was driven while it was in the break-in period. At 1250, the break-in is pretty much over with by now. I don't doubt the dealer isn't finding anything specific wrong at this point. If it's running right, I'd just keep a close eye on the oil levels. If it's using oil excessively, then you'll have a claim. If not, and it's performing properly otherwise, I'd just drive it and not worry about it.

Good luck,
Steve R.
If it were my car I sure as hell would be worried about it. I assume you wouldn't be so cavalier about it if were your car either.If a new car is pumping blue smoke out the exhaust on startup it has a problem that should be fixed. It needs compression testing and plug pulling and inspecting to identify which cylinder is malfunctioning.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:56 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I would definitely take it back in. Try a different dealer if you have to.

No way it should smoke at all.