Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Adaptive Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 08:26 PM
Jim Bronson

Default Adaptive Cruise Control

Does the ACC work with the manual transmission? It would be kind of a pain in heavy slow-go traffic. Just curious.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:22 AM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Do you have this combination? Maybe you can let us know after you've got a bit of experience with it. This is a combination I would definitely get when the time comes. I would think if the traffic is as bad as you say, you're not going to be using the CC that much anyway. I'd imagine the system wouldn't be as flexible with a manual tranny as it might be with the automatic for what I'd think are obvious reasons.

Sorry I can't specifically answer your question. I responded because I was curious if you actually had this setup and I wanted to subscribe because I'm curious as to how others might answer too.

Good luck & Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:50 AM
Jim Bronson

I ordered my GT with the ACC because it comes packaged with the rain-sensitive windshield wipers. I'm also curious whether you can turn the adaptive part off and use it as a conventional cruise control. I'll know for sure in a couple of months.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:57 AM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jim Bronson
I ordered my GT with the ACC because it comes packaged with the rain-sensitive windshield wipers. I'm also curious whether you can turn the adaptive part off and use it as a conventional cruise control. I'll know for sure in a couple of months.
I recently read somewhere on this forum, or maybe somewhere else, that you can turn off the adaptive cruise and use it as a conventional, non-adaptive cruise control. Supposedly, the switch is buried somewhere in the menu setups on the screen between the speedo and tach.

That wasn't something I had considered being a possibility before but seems like a good thing to have as they indicated there were some situations where the adaptive cruise might not work as well as it should.

Last edited by Intrepid175; 09-01-2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:41 PM
Jim Bronson

Thanks. Glad to hear that. I think it would work fine with a manual on the interstate with the range set to max, but not on the freeways where you would need to shift anyway in heavy traffic. Also, I would need to build up trust in it before I could relax. I'm not sure I like the idea of turning over that much control to a computer. It's sorta like the Airbus vs Boeing controversy.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:03 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jim Bronson
Thanks. Glad to hear that. I think it would work fine with a manual on the interstate with the range set to max, but not on the freeways where you would need to shift anyway in heavy traffic. Also, I would need to build up trust in it before I could relax. I'm not sure I like the idea of turning over that much control to a computer. It's sorta like the Airbus vs Boeing controversy.
Agreed! That's one of the things about adaptive cruise controls that bothers me too. I don't really think it'll be an issue but the driver still needs to remember that it's not an autopilot. On the freeway, hopefully it'll take another step out of things we have to stay on top of but we're still the one's driving the car.

Last edited by Intrepid175; 09-01-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:22 AM
controlsguy

ACC works great! I had it on an SHO and it was one of the options that I had to have on my stang. it is supposed to work down to 15 mph but I havent tried it going that slow. I have only used it on the highway. works ver well. The car will tell you if you have to downshift to maintain speed. 2016 GT PP all black.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:48 AM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by controlsguy
ACC works great! I had it on an SHO and it was one of the options that I had to have on my stang. it is supposed to work down to 15 mph but I havent tried it going that slow. I have only used it on the highway. works ver well. The car will tell you if you have to downshift to maintain speed. 2016 GT PP all black.
So you've got it on a manual transmission car? If it's telling you to downshift, it'll keep the cruise control active when you do? I've never had a car with adaptive cruise but the manual transmission cars I've had with cruise control would disengage the cruise when I touched the clutch. I think it would be really cool if the system allows you to shift gears without the cruise letting go. I'm very much interested in how that works and and if it works for upshifts as well as downshifts? Any clarification you care to add would be "greatly" appeciated!! Thanks!

Last edited by Intrepid175; 09-21-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:49 PM
controlsguy

Yup, got the manual. I haven't had the downshift message show up in the display yet. I have used it on the highway at speeds where 6th gear range was sufficient. according to the owners manual it will display the message. Not sure if it disengages when you push in the clutch. I will have to give it a try later and let you know. The adaptive cruise is worth every penny!! The slow down, speed up and vehicle in front of you/distance settings all work well.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:00 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Lookin' forward to the update, thanks!

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Control