Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Ford Performance Power Packs

Old 11-05-2016, 07:16 PM
Mr. Motion

Originally Posted by kawiguy827
Aside from the obvious difference in price point and equipment, how much more torque down low does the PP3 offer? The descriptions i've seen aren't terribly great. One talks about hp/tq down low, and the other talks about peak gains. I'm trying to decide.

Thanks, guys!

-J
I haven't seen any figures from Ford Performance on the torque gains for the PP3, but they have got to be at least as good as the PP2, which is 40 ft/lb at 1500 rpm. That is pretty good for the price and is something that you should immediately feel! I'm not sure that the high price tag for adding the GT350 manifold (PP3) is really worth it, especially since there's no reports that the stock manifold is starving the engine of air.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:00 PM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

Shipped yesterday and will be here Saturday!
Old 11-27-2016, 02:28 PM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

Installed the Power Pack 2 yesterday and finished up this morning. Let me start off by saying it was not as easy as the video on late model restoration portrayed! Removing the sound tube is a bitch because of where the screw is located (way back on the firewall). I tried from above and below. I went and bought all kinds of flexible socket adapters which did nothing. What worked for me was a 10mm flexible head ratcheting wrench. You will need to remove the dipstick and the strut tower brace. I also broke all 4 of the kit provided screws used to attach the new throttle body to the adapter plate while trying to torque them. My torque wrench I guess isn't designed to work with such a small amount of torque. Luckily, the original ones that were used to attach the original throttle body were the same just a tad bit longer which didn't make a difference. The tune was pretty straight forward but my advise is to print and read the instructions ahead of time. I would also watch the install video on LMR multiple times before you start. It is also worth noting that you will have to cut a few vacuum lines and use a T adapter so pay attention. I didn't and had to run to autozone to get some extra vacuum line. I probably didn't need to but I didn't want to have anything pulling too tight.

The torque up front is felt immediately. The tires break loose in 1st and 2nd extremely quick so it will take some getting used to. I have had CAI and aftermarket tunes on previous mustangs but this one feels a lot better than those. Overall, I am very satisfied with the product. For a little over $600, it is a great deal.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:17 AM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jcieutat
Installed the Power Pack 2 yesterday and finished up this morning. Let me start off by saying it was not as easy as the video on late model restoration portrayed! Removing the sound tube is a bitch because of where the screw is located (way back on the firewall). I tried from above and below. I went and bought all kinds of flexible socket adapters which did nothing. What worked for me was a 10mm flexible head ratcheting wrench. You will need to remove the dipstick and the strut tower brace. I also broke all 4 of the kit provided screws used to attach the new throttle body to the adapter plate while trying to torque them. My torque wrench I guess isn't designed to work with such a small amount of torque. Luckily, the original ones that were used to attach the original throttle body were the same just a tad bit longer which didn't make a difference. The tune was pretty straight forward but my advise is to print and read the instructions ahead of time. I would also watch the install video on LMR multiple times before you start. It is also worth noting that you will have to cut a few vacuum lines and use a T adapter so pay attention. I didn't and had to run to autozone to get some extra vacuum line. I probably didn't need to but I didn't want to have anything pulling too tight.

The torque up front is felt immediately. The tires break loose in 1st and 2nd extremely quick so it will take some getting used to. I have had CAI and aftermarket tunes on previous mustangs but this one feels a lot better than those. Overall, I am very satisfied with the product. For a little over $600, it is a great deal.
Overall, how long did the install take? Have you noticed any gains up top?
Old 11-29-2016, 07:59 AM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

If it weren't for the sound tube nut, it would have taken me about 3 hours in total. Not much gains up top. The biggest difference is felt in gears 1 thru 4.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:23 PM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

If it weren't for the sound tube nut, it would have taken me about 3 hours in total. Not much gains up top. The biggest difference is felt in gears 1 thru 4.
If i leave the sound tube in it (is that even possible?), how reversible is the install? Is the tune reversible?
Old 12-01-2016, 08:15 AM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

The factory sound tube connected to the factory intake. The GT350 intake doesn't have a port for it to connect (if that is the correct terminology). You could take a portion of it apart and cap the opening but it would look out of place and not be fully secure.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:39 AM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

I ordered the 2015-17 MUSTANG GT COLD AIR INTAKE AND CALIBRATION POWER PACK 2 M-9603-M8A a few weeks ago and the last time I checked, they won't even ship until late November. Paid around $630 shipped from a Ford Dealership in NY. Can't wait for it to arrive. I will post with my impressions of it once installed.
That kit is over $900 now I believe
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M8A
Old 12-03-2016, 02:30 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Not to offend anyone & start an argument, but I think you can do without a CAI on a new Mustang! I'd just get a good tune & save some money for premium gas & burgers!
Old 12-03-2016, 08:02 AM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

I tend to agree with you but you can pick this kit up for $650 shipped from a dealership in NY. It is "supposed" to retain the factory warranty for those who care. By the time you buy a tuner or take it to a shop, you are in for close to that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Performance Power Packs