Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Bad tune from Ford?

Old 11-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Brando

Default Bad tune from Ford?

I have a 2015 manual gt premium that I bought new. It randomly and infrequently dies when I downshift when I push the clutch in. When it dies the engine shuts off and the "run power active" message displays, which basically means it's in accessory mode. It happens so infrequently that I didn't want to bring it in to a dealer because they will never be able to recreate the issue. After some research I found a TSB related to the issue.

Fast forward...
I bring my car in for an oil change the other day and ask them to look into the TSB I found. The fix is a simple re-programing that should take 30 min. according to the TSB.

Much later in the day I get a call saying that they took the car out twice and were not able to replicate the dying issue. They then referred to the TSB and reprogrammed the drivetrain portion of the ecu. After doing that they said that the car does not run right...it runs rough so they decided to keep it overnight.

They couldn't figure out a fix the following day and stated that they've engaged ford's field engineers for a solution. When I called for an update they said they had to manually complete a fuel pressure test and then they mentioned something about confirming I did not have some aftermarket tune or component on the vehicle. The car is 100% stock...

What do you think? It sounds like they either made a mistake updating the software or broke something while driving it... You wouldn't think there would be an issue with a basic Ford tune?

I am trying to remain patient. I'm curious if anyone else thinks something strange could be going on...

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2016, 02:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Brando
I have a 2015 manual gt premium that I bought new. It randomly and infrequently dies when I downshift when I push the clutch in. When it dies the engine shuts off and the "run power active" message displays, which basically means it's in accessory mode. It happens so infrequently that I didn't want to bring it in to a dealer because they will never be able to recreate the issue. After some research I found a TSB related to the issue.

Fast forward...
I bring my car in for an oil change the other day and ask them to look into the TSB I found. The fix is a simple re-programing that should take 30 min. according to the TSB.

Much later in the day I get a call saying that they took the car out twice and were not able to replicate the dying issue. They then referred to the TSB and reprogrammed the drivetrain portion of the ecu. After doing that they said that the car does not run right...it runs rough so they decided to keep it overnight.

They couldn't figure out a fix the following day and stated that they've engaged ford's field engineers for a solution. When I called for an update they said they had to manually complete a fuel pressure test and then they mentioned something about confirming I did not have some aftermarket tune or component on the vehicle. The car is 100% stock...

What do you think? It sounds like they either made a mistake updating the software or broke something while driving it... You wouldn't think there would be an issue with a basic Ford tune?

I am trying to remain patient. I'm curious if anyone else thinks something strange could be going on...

Thanks!
Or it could just be a glitchy/flakey ECM. It does happen. When the software/firmware was updated it simply highlighted the problem because the new firmware was written on a bad sector of the EPROM of the ECM so now it runs like crap.

It's under warranty so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:30 PM
Brando

Thanks - that makes sense as well!

I got an update. Apparently there was some confusion between Ford and the techs working on the car. It sounds like my car was wired for the performance pack, which my car does not have. They are hoping a new fuel pressure switch will resolve the issue because the fuel pressure is not reading correct at the moment.

It's understandable that it's taking more time now...
Old 11-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Brando

UPDATE:

Dealer has had my car for 3 weeks during which is has been working with ford's field engineers.

They have performed multiple tests and the persistent issue is a lack of oil pressure. They have not been able to fix. Ford stopped responding to the dealer and I am still waiting.

Quick recap:
Brought car in for an oil change and handed them a TSB for a drive-train update because the car dies randomly (and infrequently) when down-shifting.
They updated the drive train per TSB and then the car did not run well. So poorly they kept it.
Working with ford there was a discrepancy between the wiring for either the fuel/oil/drive-train. Ford did not believe that my car was wired the way it was. I do not have the performance pack, however my car is wired for it.
After sending pictures to ford they order a replacement part to fix the oil pressure.
Before the part arrives the field engineers say that part won't fix the car and request the dealer performs more tests.
After the tests are performed the dealership stops hearing back from ford. They escalated the issue and have not heard back.

The last I heard was originally neither ford or the dealer had run into this issue before. Ford had only seen 3 cars with the similar issue. 3 weeks later I hear that many more cars have been reported with the issue but they would not disclose the number.

Still waiting but I've had a rental car. The dealer has been helpful but I'm still making payments on my mustang which is much nicer than the nice rental car I have...

I figured that I would share because it sounds like others may have a similar issue in the future.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Brando
UPDATE:

Dealer has had my car for 3 weeks during which is has been working with ford's field engineers.

They have performed multiple tests and the persistent issue is a lack of oil pressure. They have not been able to fix. Ford stopped responding to the dealer and I am still waiting.

Quick recap:
Brought car in for an oil change and handed them a TSB for a drive-train update because the car dies randomly (and infrequently) when down-shifting.
They updated the drive train per TSB and then the car did not run well. So poorly they kept it.
Working with ford there was a discrepancy between the wiring for either the fuel/oil/drive-train. Ford did not believe that my car was wired the way it was. I do not have the performance pack, however my car is wired for it.
After sending pictures to ford they order a replacement part to fix the oil pressure.
Before the part arrives the field engineers say that part won't fix the car and request the dealer performs more tests.
After the tests are performed the dealership stops hearing back from ford. They escalated the issue and have not heard back.

The last I heard was originally neither ford or the dealer had run into this issue before. Ford had only seen 3 cars with the similar issue. 3 weeks later I hear that many more cars have been reported with the issue but they would not disclose the number.

Still waiting but I've had a rental car. The dealer has been helpful but I'm still making payments on my mustang which is much nicer than the nice rental car I have...

I figured that I would share because it sounds like others may have a similar issue in the future.
Hmm, sounds like Ford (not the dealer) is coming up with a solution or trying to resolve something and leaving the dealer out of it.

You may want to contact one of the Ford customer service reps on the forum. Deysha is usually pretty responsive: https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...rdservice.html

or

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...serviceca.html

Maybe they can see what's up with Ford?
Old 12-05-2016, 03:22 AM
Steelhounds

As others have said....by pass the dealer and start asking Ford what's going on. After 3 weeks they surely have an update.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:08 AM
Brando

Originally Posted by Derf00
Hmm, sounds like Ford (not the dealer) is coming up with a solution or trying to resolve something and leaving the dealer out of it.

You may want to contact one of the Ford customer service reps on the forum. Deysha is usually pretty responsive: https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...rdservice.html

or

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...serviceca.html

Maybe they can see what's up with Ford?
Thanks for the suggestion. I reached out to Deysha. Still no update from the dealer...
Old 12-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Brando

Still looking for help.

I called the ford customer care line and they said they could not do anything because the issue was already elevated to the regional manager who is the highest authority. Right now they have had my vehicle for over a month with zero progress made. The response was I need to wait another week for an update from the engineers.

I mean they broke my vehicle and have had it since with no progress...no idea what to do...feeling very down on ford right now..

Search this Thread