Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Wrecked Mustang, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 09:43 PM
fragglewhat

Default Wrecked Mustang, need advice

Hi guys, so I need some advice. My wife's 2016 Mustang GT was wrecked on September 30th, I was going around a traffic circle and a guy ran a yield sign and clipped me in the rear end putting me sideways, I was doing around 30 mph, and lost control, slamming the passenger side into a one foot curb. In doing so, I jacked the front end up badly(suspension) and broke both rims on the passenger side and the tires as well.

The Insurance company took the vehicle to their shop(my first mistake), the shop had the car for over three weeks and then told us the car was fixed. I was out of town and my wife picked the car up. Immediately there were apparent issues. They rook the car back and assured us all had been sorted out. My wife drove the car for 9 days before I came home and told me the car was making bad loud noises. I got last weekend and drove the car and it was apparent immediately the car wasn't fixed. There was a very audible roaring noise coming from the vehicle. I contacted the shop and they assured me the noise was the new tire they put on the car and that the noise would sound stop. Of course it didn't. The car was pulling hard right so I took it to a tire shop and they tried aligning the vehicle(something the shop said they did) and they told me it couldn't be aligned as it had a bent tie rod end and needed special camber bolts.

The bolts and tie rod came in and they were put on and the wheels they put on the vehicle were also balanced as they weren't from the shop. This is when I noticed the rim issue. Our car has the GT performance Pack with the black rims. The insurance shop ordered silver rims and spray painted them black in hopes of frauding us. I called them on it and they assured me they couldn't find the black rims anywhere. I called a Ford dealership and found the right rims in 10 minutes. So the car now has the proper rims, new tires on the passenger side, and everything is balanced and aligned. We get the car back and yet the roaring persists.

Now the shop tells us the tire they put on the rear must be bad. They order a new tire and I go to the shop today to have it swapped, as its on the lift I start looking and I grab the rear wheel and it has a ton of up and down play. The bearing was shot in the wreck and they didn't bother fixing it. They told my wife the noise was just the tires breaking in. I grab the front one as well and it has up and down and side to side play. We contact our insurance company and they basically tell us too bad, until we dropped the fraud word. Now they want to help us, but only if we bring it to the shop of their choosing.

My question is, from the bearings being shot front and rear and the car being driven, what should I look for in that damaging other parts? I am at a loss here. This has been a nightmare and we just want our 7000 mile car fixed. Thanks for reading this guys.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:52 PM
CaptainX
1st Gear Member

First thing I would do is go to the shop of your choosing, and have them evaluate the vehicle. It might costs you some money, but probably less than 100 bucks. Bring that evaluation/quote to your insurance company and let them know what the mechanic finds. If they refuse to repair the issues, I would tell them you're going to be filing a complaint with the NAIC. If that doesn't scare them into fixing the issue, then I would file that complaint.

I don't know how it works in Alabama, but I assume this is the other drivers insurance company you're dealing with? If so, are you having your insurance company do the leg work? Here in Mass, I would just notify my insurance company and they would do all the work in making the other guys insurance pay for the repairs. If I was unsatisfied, or it left me with an unsafe vehicle, they would make sure to put the pressure on the other company. It's clear this other shop doesn't know what they're doing, or else they'd be racking up all sorts of repairs on the insurance companies dime.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:34 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

I would strongly recommend opening a complaint claim against the shop that did the original repairs, especially if its a go to shop for your insurance as others in the same situation as you could get screwed over in the future. The downside sometimes to insurance claims being handled through a recommended shop is the same as tenure, once they get that connection they're set with the constant influx of repair jobs and so if they don't care, their quality will slip fast. Make sure that the word is known for others to be careful about that specific shop.

As for what to do, CapainX has some sound advice on how to handle the repairs from here on out. And make sure to have the independent shop go over the ENTIRE car, not just the passenger side. If you hit as hard as you did, theres a chance that you may have transferred damage to the other side that was overlooked next to the obvious broken components.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:57 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Most Insurance Companies will try to be reasonable. They don't make their major profits by doing poor repairs & irritating customers... but by the premiums we pay. Negotiating is something I understand & have lots of training in! The key is to be reasonable, very polite & yet very assertive! Aggressive is coming on strong & pushy, while assertive is simply letting them know you will not settle until you get what you want! Just keep saying, "I'm sorry, but that's not acceptable! Please put me in contact with your supervisor!" Don't give up until you get treated reasonably. Be very, very polite & very assertive wearing them done until "treating you fairly is the easiest way out for them!" The object is getting what you want... not winning an argument! Getting angry gets in the way of that!

Hang in there & good luck! You'll get through this!

Last edited by Mr. D; 11-24-2016 at 05:04 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:24 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Woaw, what a mess...
Insurance shops (called "Preferred") are simply a scam and should be outlawed.

I don't have your estimate in front of me but since we're talking about a new car made in the current year, the replacement rims would have to be brand new from the dealer as stipulated by the Ins. Cie
So that's a law suit right there against the shop but also, it gives you a legit reason to go to another shop to fix whatever is still wrong with the car since that shop is no longer to be trusted.
Don't be afraid to tell the Insurance that you plan to sue them if they're not helpful with the repairs because they know that they will lose the case.
Is it Geico? Wouldn't surprise me as they're crooked.
Do not fold on this one, you have all the cards...
Old 12-05-2016, 03:27 AM
Steelhounds

Looks like you have a lot of good advice here op.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:56 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Also don't forget to make a claim with their insurance company for 'diminished value'. Your vehicle is now worth less $$ because of the accident. You're entitled to compensation for that since it was their fault, it's usually 25% - 35% of the cost of the repairs. My wife and I've been hit a few times in her old car and each time once all the repair work was done to our satisfaction we then filed that claim... got nice sized checks from the insurance companies each time.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:50 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Just wanted to say sorry you are going through this ordeal.

There is real good comments and advice above so I wont bother you by repeating.

Best of luck.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:01 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by S197steve
..........Also don't forget to make a claim with their insurance company for 'diminished value'.........
Oh yeah very good point...
Lots of people don't even know about this, and the Ins. Cie sure ain't gonna bring it up.
I suspect that 85/90% of claims, folks don't get any compensation for diminished value.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:38 PM
fragglewhat

Hey all, thanks for all of the great advice. I am not able to go after the person that hit me as it was a hit and run accident. I am having to go through my insurance company(Progressive). So we just got the car back early this week finally, it went to a Ford Dealership and they had it for a month. They put it on a frame machine and the frame wasn't damaged. The final verdict was, blown rear hub assembly, Two control arms and a tie rod bent, and they had to replace the entire engine subframe. This is of course after it went to Progressives preferred shop. My insurance company also classified the accident as collision, and not comprehensive, screwing me in the process. The issue I am having now is that from driving the car for the two weeks before it was properly repaired, the tires are all shot even the two new ones. So now I am going to have to buy new shoes on my dime. Biggest headache ever....