Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Howling Noise at 80MPH

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 06:05 PM
Bram24

Default Howling Noise at 80MPH

I am hearing a howling noise that seems to be coming from the front end of my Mustang when I hit 80mph.

The car is a 2016 GT with the Performance Package. I bought the car used with only 3800 miles on it. I replaced the stock summer tires with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

I do not think that this howling is from my wheel bearings. The only thing I can think of is the tires but having a hard time understanding why the sound is so pronounced when you hit 80 but you do not hear it at lower speeds or driving under different conditions.

I should note the sound persists when I engage the clutch. I also hear it whether I am in 6th or a lower gear at that speed.

Could it be the dealer just did a ****ty job balancing the tires during install? Could the tires be faulty? What could I check for to see if the tires are faulty? I have read to look for feathering but cannot believe new tires would do this.

Thanks in advance for any comments or recommendations.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:46 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

I would start at finding an independent place to check you tire balance and also alignment. If all is good go to dealer.