Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Automatic Trans: WOT not hitting right gear?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 09:01 AM
ohlang

Default Automatic Trans: WOT not hitting right gear?

I currently have a steeda tune loaded and the pedalmax installed. I noticed this issue happening much earlier before I had this current tune.

There are many random times when I do WOT, that I end up one gear higher than what I should be in, if I begin inside the 55-85mph range. When my transmission is behaving correctly, I start in 3rd gear, when it's not I'm in 4th.

I noticed also while in select shift manual mode, sometimes, i'm not allowed to downshift to 3rd when I should be able to (the 4th gear display blinks indicating this is as low as I'm allowed to go).

I've tried learning to predict when this would happen by looking for patterns in transmission oil temp, with or without the pedalmax, with tune or another tune, etc.

Anyone have this problem?
Old 12-28-2016, 12:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Those devices like pedalmax are designed to work as a stand-alone piece of hardware. Even then, they are not perfect.

Cars with Fly by Wire throttle like the new mustangs use input directly from the pedal for all sorts of adjustments including transmission shifting. Whatever is causing your pedalmax to occasionally send the wrong signal/glitch is being amplified by your tune.

You should contact Steeda to see if they can adjust your tune to at least account for the different signal the PCM is getting but, they won't be able to fix the glitch with the hardware itself. That's something you should contact whoever sold you the device.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:50 AM
ohlang

Originally Posted by Derf00
...Whatever is causing your pedalmax to occasionally send the wrong signal/glitch is being amplified by your tune...
So, I've since removed the pedalmax and have tested the three tunes I have. steeda, lund, and custom tune performed locally. I've seen it happened now with all three and it only happens with third gear. It's happens more often, after I've been cruising at about 80mph and want to open her up. At or below 60 and it behaves as it should. It's happened early in my drive and even later in my drive also, so it's not related to the transmission oil temp or oil temp.

Even before the pedalmax, there have been times it hasn't felt as quick as it should. I'm just aware of what's happening now that I'm monitoring the gear commanded always.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I'm not familiar with the manual mode on the newer Autos but, it sounds like you're hitting some type of rev limiter or the computer thinks you might so it hesitates. Like if you down shift into the wrong gear the car hiccups because it's trying to avoid shifting into the red if it does downshift. On a 5 speed auto 3rd gear puts it right around redline with 3.31 gears.

What RPM's are you at in 3rd at 80 with the 6 spd?

I just checked how the system works...Most likely what's causing your issue.

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehic...nsmission.html

" Automatic Overrides in Sport Manual (S)"
SelectShift may automatically make some shifts for you, even in Sport manual mode. If the system determines that the engine is running at an excessively low RPM, which may cause it to stall, SelectShift will automatically downshift. Likewise, SelectShift may automatically prevent you from making a downshift in Sport manual mode if the transmission determines that downshifting will result in excessively high RPM and damage to the engine due to over-revving. To prevent over-revving, it is possible that the transmission may automatically upshift as well. Finally, if the driver is in a high gear and accelerates very abruptly without downshifting, the transmission may automatically shift to a lower gear in order to provide the necessary acceleration for a potential emergency maneuver.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:57 AM
ohlang

Originally Posted by Derf00
...What RPM's are you at in 3rd at 80 with the 6 spd?...I just checked how the system works...Most likely what's causing your issue...
At 80, i'm around 5500rpm. I know it can go into 3rd, it does it plenty of times. I'm also aware of the safe guards that are built around the semi auto mode, but when it works it lets me downshift into 3rd.

When it fails in full in selectshift manual mode, it simply prevents me from downshifting further than 4th gear.

When it fails in full auto mode, the outcome is practically identical to when I'm cruising at a high speed and ease into fully pressed position as opposed to a quick press that triggers WOT downshift.

I don't know how often people decide to gun it at a cruising speed of 80mph, so this could be something more common than I'm thinking it is.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:51 PM
ohlang

So making more observations and am now sure that all is well 75mph and below. 80 or above and it's hit or miss. If any auto owners out there, especially with 3.55 gears, let me know if you're experiencing this.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:13 PM
ohlang

So, I was able to confirm with a 2015 owner with same rear gear ratio 3.55 that @ 80+ 3rd gear is locked out. ~81+ is where 3rd gear is locked out using the paddles. Not sure why Ford would do this. 3rd carries me to about 100 so we're talking about 20mph of travel which is huge.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

It's a hardware safety mechanism it seems.

Try contacting Level ten transmission to see what they have done with the Tranny tune or if one is available for the 6R80 in your car. Brenspeed, American Muscle, etc, mainly do engine tunes. They don't do much in the way of the tranny.

Level 10 can provide custom tranny mapping (if available for the 6R80) that other tuners simply can't/won't which may resolve the problem you're seeing or have the transmission shift more efficiently for your driving style.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:32 AM
ohlang

Thanks, I'll reach out to them.