Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

2015 Mustang GT Manual Transmission Clunk and Grinding. Someone Help Me Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:13 PM
EdKorey

Just want everyone to know, that I did not in anyway, wrongfully abuse or mishandle this Mustang or transmission since It has been in my possession. I know that I am the 3rd owner to the vehicle and clutch seems pretty solid and new for someone inexperienced trying to learn on. I am experienced myself when it comes to manual trans and prefer over any automatic. I have been driving manuals since I was 17 years old I am now 34. Here are some of my previously owned cars.

1987 Toyota Supra (5 speed manual) sold at 279k miles after the engine died

1990 Nissan 300zx (5 speed manual) 33k miles traded at 56k with the Mazda for GTO

2004 Mazda MX-5 Mazdaspeed Edition (6 speed manual) 19k miles, traded in with 42k

2005 Poniac GTO (6 speed manual) 22k traded in at 79k for a Scion after economy collasped

2007 Scion TC TRD edition (5 speed manual) 39k miles traded at 156k for Mustang GT

Have to say, out of all the cars I owned in the past. I have never before had a manual transmission with any troubles. For this to be at next to new condition car, is completely unacceptable as far as quality goes. This is the most expensive car I ever paid for and proves to be the most unreliable. I am a first time Ford owner and I now just leave this car parked in my garage and sit at the house drinking, thinking about the time I really wanted a new mustang... and I got one alright!

Old 02-25-2017, 05:47 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Lol I also owned a tC, 2 actually, white 2005 auto and a dark grey 2005 manual with the TRD blower.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:11 PM
EdKorey

Yeah well, I wished I had my tC back. A very regretful transaction on my part!
Old 03-03-2017, 08:50 AM
Gtgiggty

Man there are plenty of threads About this situation for clunking, I just bought a 15 Performance pack 5.0 six speed and I didn't even really drive it before I bought it. Only because I've been in the car business for a while now you have plenty of them that were brand new never really saw any problems. When driving a car for a while I kept having a violent clunk every time I let out the clutch weather I did it softly or race car status. I personally I could tell it was from Driveline to rear end deflection it's a $40,000 car comes with a stupid 2-piece driveshaft.... I went ahead and put in a white line bushing insert it's only $30 and really easy to put in. Huge difference when engaging clutch there is still some clunkiness but I know I'm still just trying to fill out this ridiculous clutch pedal and looking into some sort of spring elimination. I've heard good things about shifter brackets maybe switching the short shifter. The bushing insert does make more engine noise with that dumb sound tube so I deleted that too and the cars where I want it now. In my opinion I would try the bushing before trying to warranty out synchros and gears Grand and that may be an issue with the mt82 but for noise it made a big difference.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:29 PM
EdKorey

I took it back to the dealer again because I had leaking transmission fluid in the garage, the fluid was dripping on the pipes and that is what I think the burning maple smell was coming from. A new O-ring and topping off the trans fluid cleared up some of the grinding noises.

I am afraid you are right about that 2 piece driveshaft, I tested a brand new 2017 GT PP today and felt the same clunk just not nearly as bad as mine. I can only imagine how these cars are going to drive when they hit over 100k miles. I am hearing good things about the tremec magnum xl, maybe a good replacement if things go south. Looks like this will convert to a 1 piece driveshaft and some other mods. Also hearing that there is a way to quiet the bearing noises with different trans fluids as well as new hurst or steeda shifter to cushion the clunking. Hard to believe they would put these out there for sale without proper engineering, the drivetrain feels so unrefined.

Last edited by EdKorey; 03-10-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:31 PM
paul_g
1st Gear Member

A single piece, aluminum, aftermarket driveshaft will certainly help. My 05 GT has a bit if shimmy at 70 MPH and we've isolated to the big old clunky drive shaft that weighs a million pounds. I cannot wait to replace it with one from from AM or CJ.

I wish you all the best of luck, I hope that all your issues are now sorted and you can go out and DRIVE that beast and enjoy it!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:55 AM
EdKorey

Well everyone,

I never could get the clunk to go away, it only got worst over time. After going to several ford dealers with no help or success on getting it fixed. Headaches from being on the phone several times with corporate ford service call center. I decided to rid myself of the nightmare and trade it in. Extremely disappointed after loss of equity, loss of time and money from work and complete torment for months. After trading this vehicle in... the mechanics at Honda that test drove my car for an appraisal noticed the same mechanical issues with the shifting and began to investigate. The Honda mechanics told me that this mustang had a lose rear end and that they have got them traded in like this before. So why could ford not fix or help me with this issue? Well, I will never know... because I will never own another mustang and hope nobody has to experience what I have went though.

Good Luck All.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:07 AM
mcharlesh

Off topic a bit, but does anybody have a 90-93 WC T5, good, used condition for sale around California?
Old 07-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

chinese made gearboxes..terrible..get the auto..the auto thumps a lot though..mine thumped when changing down from 6th to 5th..
ford need to put a proper gearbox in these cars...
Old 05-02-2018, 11:13 PM
Nena28feb2018

Default Same issue here

loud cluck noise when shifting gears it definitely got worse after turning the hill assist off, turning it on again see if that helps, thanks for the info

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang GT Manual Transmission Clunk and Grinding. Someone Help Me Please!