Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

2015 Mustang GT Manual Transmission Clunk and Grinding. Someone Help Me Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 04:26 PM
EdKorey

Angry 2015 Mustang GT Manual Transmission Clunk and Grinding. Someone Help Me Please!

Someone please help me! I purchased a used 2015 Mustang GT from Coggin Ford in Nov. 2016 with 9400 miles on it. While driving the car home I noticed some strange behavior with the transmission or clutch. Everytime between shifting gears I hear and feel a Thunk/Clunk noise directly under the car. Mostly or more effectively during lower gears like reverse, 1st, 2nd and 3rd. It is a lot less of a thud in 4th, 5th and 6th but it is still there. Feels and sounds like it is coming from the transmission or driveshaft area, I even feel it in the shifter and floorboard move or jolt slightly. Sometimes it knocks and clunks so hard that passengers can notice it and even someone from outside the car can hear all the noises and banging around. I also hear metal to metal grinding, more so at high speeds and mostly in 3rd gear. It gets much loader at high speeds and high RPM's.

How to replicate all the transmission chaos:
1) Weather must be warm or more noticeable in the heat than winter cold. Starts really making noises about 20 or 30 minutes of driving at 55-60 mph when the transmission really starts to heat up
2) Releasing the clutch pedal while you are engaged in gear, if you release the pedal very slowly and the thud is not as intense or loud.
3) While coasting in lower gears and clutch pedal out, applying the gas and release the gas repeatedly and you will hear something clunking and knocking around below.

After several attempts to take it to different Ford dealerships in my area, I continuously get the same run around and they will not consent to having any repairs, even after I am able to prove the poor quality in the drive-train. I have been told many poor excuses from Ford service managers, mechanics and staff as to why they can't or won't fix it. I have even called and been told they will call me back and they never do so. I leave messages that get ignored or deleted. I have lost so much time, money and hours from my job by trying to bring it in and them having it sit there at their shop for days. There is now 13200 miles on it as of Feb 2017, This car has not shown any improvements. Anyone with any information or advice please comment, I will not stop relentlessly until this issue is resolved. Thank you for all the support.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:21 PM
EdKorey

So I finally found a dealer that is willing to take on work under warranty. Thank God! This car was beginning to be unbearable to drive, they even agreed to have the blue tooth fixed that died out a while back. Looks like they are going to order some parts for the transmission as well as parts for the shifter. I can only hope these guys come up with a solid fix and never have to crack open this transmission or bring it back for anything else related to this. They are also doing the door latch recall on it right now.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:40 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

good to see you are getting some results!
Old 02-12-2017, 09:30 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Lemon law that turd. It wouldn't surprise me if that's how it ended up in the dealer lot with 9500 miles. More headache than it's worth.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:24 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Tell the dealer to fix it plain and simple.

If not have them get you a replacement per darkmach1.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:41 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

You've had it for 3 months, they won't simply replace it for you. It's gonna be painful but just keep taking it back until it's..

A) fixed
B) meets the criteria for lemon law

Whichever comes first.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Every state is slightly different. Here's Florida's guidelines for their lemon law.

http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/...256cc9005da68a
Old 02-16-2017, 02:35 PM
coffeebowl
1st Gear Member

any update to what the problem was?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:47 PM
EdKorey

Originally Posted by coffeebowl
any update to what the problem was?
It is still in the hands of the dealership, looks like the said 2nd and 3rd gear sycros, throw-out bearings, new forks and many other parts are being replaced. I really regret buying this car but nobody really test drives a car for over 30 minutes, I was telling myself what could be wrong at 9400 miles? The car salesman told me the thunk is in all the mustangs... and of course I believed him.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:10 PM
EdKorey

Looks like the results are not like I planned it to be. Just got the car back a few days ago and after putting about 75 miles on it, the clunking and the grinding is coming back more and more. Started out running great when I pulled away from the dealership, almost felt like new. Definitely has a metal feel now in the transmission, parked the car in my garage coming back from the store and the burning fluid filled my garage with a maple smell. See attached.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang GT Manual Transmission Clunk and Grinding. Someone Help Me Please!