Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Why do Mustangs have the reputation of being bad in the snow? S550 yet to get stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 10:52 PM
jipm44

Default Why do Mustangs have the reputation of being bad in the snow? S550 yet to get stuck.

I just wanted to share my experience with my new 2017 GT. The car is equipped with winter tires and has been driven through multiple snow storms. I have driven the car through 12 inches of snow on unplowed roads with no weight in the trunk without a problem. People always told me that mustangs were awful in the snow and I used to work in a ford dealership where in the winter we couldn't even move mustangs out of parking spots. Of course those cars were equipped with summer tires and some all seasons at best. For that reason I stayed away from buying a mustang for years in fear of being undrivable in the winter. What surprises me is how many people expect mustangs to be good in snow with all season tires. I'm here to represent the community of mustangs and show people that mustangs can be driven in snow storms. Life is too short to garage your dream car. Cars are meant to be driven. When you die you won't take anything with you. I constantly take the car out here during New England snow storms and it has yet to disappoint me. Very impressive for rwd 435hp in snow. No drama. Never will be as good as an awd car or suv but in my opinion from experience it's a very capable car in the snow with the right tires. I love the feeling of passing an awd pick up or suv while they stare at the mustang during a snow storm. Their look is priceless. Don't let winter stop you from enjoying your mustang. Idk about other generations of mustangs but the S550 has been a great winter car. We're expecting another big storm in New England so I'll be looking forward to taking it out for a ride.
Attached Thumbnails Why do Mustangs have the reputation of being bad in the snow? S550 yet to get stuck.-img_2524.jpg   Why do Mustangs have the reputation of being bad in the snow? S550 yet to get stuck.-img_2537.png  
Old 02-11-2017, 11:20 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

I like my winter tires on my car too. They make a good, noticeable difference. Most vehicles could benefit actually with winter tires from an acceleration standpoint (all would defenitely benefit from braking/handling).

What size are yours, and any issues clearing the brakes for new wheels or are they stock wheels?
Old 02-12-2017, 01:30 AM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

It's stigmatized as a nice weather vehicle, same as any other sporty car; people put them away in winter just to protect them from the elements.
I see a few Stangs here in winter, but mine has slicks... last year I couldn't even back it out of the driveway because of a very tiny patch of ice;
sure, rear wheel drive & snow tires would work,
but what if you get 3 feet if snow?
So... I drive my dads truck, I can't even pull up the driveway at home unless I turn on the 4x4...
plus, every other driver is an idiot except me (or you,)
it's more common sense.

plus, salt & rust issues
Old 02-12-2017, 02:17 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

I doubt most vehicles can handle three feet of snow. Th salt stuff can be an issue though.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:32 AM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
I doubt most vehicles can handle three feet of snow. Th salt stuff can be an issue though.
A few years ago, we had 5 feet of snow in the front yard, & the next year, we didn't get 5 inches all winter lol
Our main roads are usually good, but you can get stuck on the other ones...
It all depends on a few factors I guess.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:33 AM
JimC

Most people grew up in the era of FWD and fear a RWD vehicle. When I got my license the only FWD around was the Old Toronado. We got our RWD vehicles out and drove and learned how to handle them. I find RWD easier than FWD once a slide happens.

I drove my 2006, with a supercharger, on a 45 mile commute. Never got that car stuck and that was on all seasons. Had some really bad blizzards and snow storms. My 2013, with a turbo, same thing. It's just a matter of understanding how to get started and how to control the car.

And I never tossed weigh in the trunk. When the slide does happen and the car comes to a sudden stop in the ditch, that 150 lbs doesn't just sit there. It keeps moving and will bust through the thin seat back and is now aimed right at you. I never needed it.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:23 AM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Having owned 4 Mustangs from different eras while living in NJ (1990 LX convertible, 2001 GT Convertible, 2013 GT Premium, 2016 GT Premium), I can say with certainty that each new style/chassis has offered major improvements in the snow. The S550, however, has been the absolute best in snowy conditions, even with the stock all season tires - that wet/snow mode makes a surprisingly large difference.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:21 AM
CaptainX
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jipm44
I just wanted to share my experience with my new 2017 GT. The car is equipped with winter tires and has been driven through multiple snow storms. I have driven the car through 12 inches of snow on unplowed roads with no weight in the trunk without a problem. People always told me that mustangs were awful in the snow and I used to work in a ford dealership where in the winter we couldn't even move mustangs out of parking spots. Of course those cars were equipped with summer tires and some all seasons at best. For that reason I stayed away from buying a mustang for years in fear of being undrivable in the winter. What surprises me is how many people expect mustangs to be good in snow with all season tires. I'm here to represent the community of mustangs and show people that mustangs can be driven in snow storms. Life is too short to garage your dream car. Cars are meant to be driven. When you die you won't take anything with you. I constantly take the car out here during New England snow storms and it has yet to disappoint me. Very impressive for rwd 435hp in snow. No drama. Never will be as good as an awd car or suv but in my opinion from experience it's a very capable car in the snow with the right tires. I love the feeling of passing an awd pick up or suv while they stare at the mustang during a snow storm. Their look is priceless. Don't let winter stop you from enjoying your mustang. Idk about other generations of mustangs but the S550 has been a great winter car. We're expecting another big storm in New England so I'll be looking forward to taking it out for a ride.
you don't have enough ground clearance to drive in 12 inches of snow. I've been part of the same storm you experienced, and if your town let your roads go unplowed during the entire snow storm, it might be time to move to a better area, where your tax dollars are going to work.

Plus, there's been one snow storm this year, so I'm not sure where the "constantly take the car out during New England snow storms" comes from.

Regardless of all that, you shouldn't be driving during a storm just to joy ride. Snow is not the only hazard. Any car with decent snow tires can drive in snow.

Last edited by CaptainX; 02-13-2017 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:45 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Most people grew up in the era of FWD and fear a RWD vehicle. When I got my license the only FWD around was the Old Toronado. We got our RWD vehicles out and drove and learned how to handle them. I find RWD easier than FWD once a slide happens.

I drove my 2006, with a supercharger, on a 45 mile commute. Never got that car stuck and that was on all seasons. Had some really bad blizzards and snow storms. My 2013, with a turbo, same thing. It's just a matter of understanding how to get started and how to control the car.

And I never tossed weigh in the trunk. When the slide does happen and the car comes to a sudden stop in the ditch, that 150 lbs doesn't just sit there. It keeps moving and will bust through the thin seat back and is now aimed right at you. I never needed it.
I saw on the news about people traveling with their pets riding loose in the back seat, & in an accident, their pet is a loose missile & flying around the vehicle.
It's not pretty.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:01 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Because most people don't bother getting winter tires, and blame the car when the "all season" tires it came with turn into rock hard hockey pucks in cold weather.