Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

If they put a 4 banger in it there will be trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Hamidar05
Source please, I don't doubt you are right.. but I tried to google production numbers and didn't come up with much.

Like I said, I don't disagree, but bending to a 4 banger and chassis/body redesign for a more Euro style when Europe will always be dominated by Euro auto makers due to subsidies and such.. well it is UnAmerican in my view and not what makes a Mustang great. Europeans want Mustangs because they are Americana, not because they look and feel like what they can get there.

Citroen

Can't tell that to these guys.. they know better
These sources come and go. It's hard to find a single source to cover all years (I'm sure there is one I just haven't found it either)...

Anyways, here's 2010's figures. About half way down it mentions the shortage of v6 mustangs. surprisingly the V8 was at 49% total number of sales. That's down from nearly 60% in 2009...? It's counters my point but I'll keep digging. That's not the norm.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...oubt-cars.html
Old 11-26-2013, 11:11 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

The Bloomberg article was an interesting read. I'm suprised the Camaro hasn't lost a little steam since it's introduction.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by The Alien
ahahah yep, the idea is really that one

By the way, I came from Europe and there is a different way of seeing things.

First of all, with the gasoline average price at 10 bucks per gallon you love the V6, you'll die for a V8 but then you will buy a four-in-line because you can't do otherwise (if you are unlucky you need to deal with a 3 cyl turbodiesel...)

We have different roads, different way of driving and for sure different traditions.

for this reason I say that I agree, a Mustang with a 4 cyl is not appropriate at all but we are talking about money and the European market needs to be considered in a different way.

If we keep only the V6 and the V8 for Europe it will be hardly competitive because of the price and the maintenance. In Italy for example there is a tax to pay, $30 per Kw over 185kw (247cv) for cars less than 10 years old.
For a 2005 Mustang GT you should pay every year for registration, this tax and insurance something about $5k.

I'm not wondering if the 4 Ecoboost will have, as a coincidence, "only" 240CV or less, maybe for this reason too (other european countries have these kind of taxes)
What is sad is we are on our way to taxing horsepower - I respect your insightful considerations
Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hamidar05
What is sad is we are on our way to taxing horsepower - I respect your insightful considerations
In reality horsepower is already taxed, it's called gas tax... so any other tax would be taxation upon taxation... Isn't that why we kicked England's butt?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
In reality horsepower is already taxed, it's called gas tax... so any other tax would be taxation upon taxation... Isn't that why we kicked England's butt?
Not sure I fully agree - we have a use tax which does not necessarily imply a limitation on performance, say you're high power weekend driver. A horsepower tax directly impacts the kind of engine/vehicle you can get or afford, essentially singling out certain vehicles performance.

Yes it is arguably the same, however it is the way in which it is implemented that is preferential or discriminatory.

Another way to think of it;

America: You can get what you want (truck, high performance car), but you are going to pay a little more at the pump in the end since it uses more gas

Europe: You don't need to high performance car, therefor we will tax them based on horsepower to discourage their sales... add to that their already high gas taxes and a person is discouraged more

Semantics, but to me it is the difference between freedom and control, common man and privileged classes... I digress
Old 12-01-2013, 10:17 AM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

What would be interesting is what is Ford doing to correct the problem in the recall?
I doubt if they are replacing the engine. ?? Insulation? Different Tune? Water pump? Fan? ??

However in a Mustang, which is going to be driven much harder will you see reduced performance to control temperature?? Will the ECU reduce turbo boost, or change other engine parameters to keep heat down.

I would hope that a Mustang with a Turbo 4, would have better cooling... Larger Radiator? Larger Electric fan? Electric water pump?
Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 PM
The Alien
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vegas_
What would be interesting is what is Ford doing to correct the problem in the recall?
I doubt if they are replacing the engine. ?? Insulation? Different Tune? Water pump? Fan? ??

However in a Mustang, which is going to be driven much harder will you see reduced performance to control temperature?? Will the ECU reduce turbo boost, or change other engine parameters to keep heat down.

I would hope that a Mustang with a Turbo 4, would have better cooling... Larger Radiator? Larger Electric fan? Electric water pump?
I suppose that the 4cyl ecoboost will be the same of the Focus ST, with a dedicated software but it should be the same.
Even if this new generation seems smaller than the current one, there will be enough room to sit the engine without sacrificing the cooling. I know it seems weird but modern cars have a forced air design that helps the engine cooling by closing the whole engine bay leaving only an air inlet and outlet. (a car with the undercar cover it cools better than the same without it.

but anyway I agree, I think that this new generation will have a lot of youth issues. we will see
Old 12-06-2013, 06:00 PM
The Alien
1st Gear Member

With the 2015 press release I read that the EcoBoost will have more horsepower, more torque and a better gas mileage compared to the V6...

I'm concerned, maybe the V6 will be reserved for the first year only to the real entry level 'stang? (like the Camaro LS trim and the LT/SS trims)
and after the first year bye bye V6?
Old 12-07-2013, 06:36 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mph07alloy
I keep coming up with a mental image of this when I think of what some people will do with their "4 banger" Mustangs...
[IMG][/IMG]
That front bumper isn't nearly ricey enough.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:36 AM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by The Alien
With the 2015 press release I read that the EcoBoost will have more horsepower, more torque and a better gas mileage compared to the V6...

I'm concerned, maybe the V6 will be reserved for the first year only to the real entry level 'stang? (like the Camaro LS trim and the LT/SS trims)
and after the first year bye bye V6?
I doubt it's going anywhere. The V6 will stay the budget model and the ecoboost will have a premium on it because ZOMG MPG!!! Although if you drive on boost enough, you wont see many MPG savings....

Quick Reply: If they put a 4 banger in it there will be trouble