Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Comments on the 2015 styling? Here is the thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

What's gonna happen when the new Need For Speed movie comes out next week and drive's the demand for a Mustang that looks like the one in the movie (2013-2014) through the roof and the kiddies go to the nearest Ford dealer this summer to see the 2015 car? They're gonna say "what the heck is this? Where's the cool ones at Dude, like the mean assed one I saw in the flick, yo?
Old 03-01-2014, 10:00 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by Slammintone
What's gonna happen when the new Need For Speed movie comes out next week and drive's the demand for a Mustang that looks like the one in the movie (2013-2014) through the roof and the kiddies go to the nearest Ford dealer this summer to see the 2015 car? They're gonna say "what the heck is this? Where's the cool ones at Dude, like the mean assed one I saw in the flick, yo?
..are you being serious or silly?
Old 03-02-2014, 10:39 AM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Maybe that's why they did a slightly modified 2014 for the movie, get a bit of interest for it before the new one is released.

As for the price of the new one, I can wait for three or four more years to pick up a preowned one...
Old 03-02-2014, 12:07 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slammintone
That might be why they did this.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Det.FrankBullitt
1st Gear Member

It seems to be For's business model.The first mustang was history making and looked good. In the following years each year the cars got better. Faster, handling, bigger engines. The only thing that did not change was The Look. If you saw a mustang on the road you knew it was a mustang.(The new one looks like a Fusion to me) Ford had a winner.The old if it ain't broke don't fix it thing. But Ford decided change for the sake of change.And that was "the day the music died”. The mustang that was loved by the world became The MUSTANG II. When I saw the new mustang it like Deja Vue all over again.
Yea its quicker,and will handle better but there will always be something quicker out there. It don’t look Mustang anymore. It lost the Bad *** in your face,when you look in your mirror and say “there is a mustang coming up behind us” visual impact. So as a student of history It is of my opinion that the mustang shall go down the tubes again. I guess what I am trying to say is I hate the new look.Ford makes a 2 door Fusion sold in England and if you look at a picture of it it’s like looking at the new mustang.

Last edited by Det.FrankBullitt; 03-02-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:55 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

Ford is a money making enterprise. The mustang is not a high margin vehicle. They have to sell in volume to be profitable. Mustang sales hit all time lows with the last generation in 2009; and is consistently trailing the camaro. The 1974 mustang 2 sold between 300000 and 400000 depending on where I found sales figures. The mustang 2 looks more like the original than any other mustang but the original. The best thing for the 15 would be to repeat what the 74 did. But this time ford is keeping the v8.
The biggest change has been the increase in competition. You no longer need to have a muscle car for performance with sedans putting out 300 to 400 HP.
This is not change for the sake of change. The 74 was not change for the sake of change. The mustang is not high end enough to just appeal to enthusiasts, it needs mass appeal to stay competitive, otherwise it goes the corvette route and gains another 20 to 40g to the price tag to make up for low volume.
People forget how close we were to losing the mustang in the 80s with ford wanting its name for the probe. Sales were 1.5 to 3 times per year more than what the last half of gen 5 produced per year.

Last edited by mongolchuck; 03-02-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:00 PM
radioguy1

Originally Posted by mongolchuck
Ford is a money making enterprise. The mustang is not a high margin vehicle. They have to sell in volume to be profitable. Mustang sales hit all time lows with the last generation in 2009; and is consistently trailing the camaro. The 1974 mustang 2 sold between 300000 and 400000 depending on where I found sales figures. The mustang 2 looks more like the original than any other mustang but the original. The best thing for the 15 would be to repeat what the 74 did. But this time ford is keeping the v8.
The biggest change has been the increase in competition. You no longer need to have a muscle car for performance with sedans putting out 300 to 400 HP.
This is not change for the sake of change. The 74 was not change for the sake of change. The mustang is not high end enough to just appeal to enthusiasts, it needs mass appeal to stay competitive, otherwise it goes the corvette route and gains another 20 to 40g to the price tag to make up for low volume.
People forget how close we were to losing the mustang in the 80s with ford wanting its name for the probe. Sales were 1.5 to 3 times per year more than what the last half of gen 5 produced per year.
Of course your data fails to mention the financial crisis in 2009 that kept most people from getting a car loan And no American car is likely to sell 300,000 to 400,000 ever again because of the massive foreign competition In fact, the Mustang, Camaro and the Dodge Challenger, together, didn't sell 300,000. FORD has been steadily raising the margin on the Mustang over the past 10 years with high cost options that people want with their V6. I'm sure that will continue. The future sales is anybody's guess. I think what you are hearing is that a lot of people that bought 2 or 3 Mustangs in the past 10 years are not very interested in the new Mustang because it seems to emulate a Fusion (Or pick anyone of 10 other shiney new cars) and seems to have lost its "iconic" look. So, some of us won't run out and buy a 2015, as we had planned. That doesn't mean a lot of other people, who have never had a Mustang, won't run out and buy one.....I hope they do because I am a FORD stockholder. Time will tell the story.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:22 PM
shiftV6

I went with a 14' because I'm impatient and love the idea of getting a polished outgoing model rather than an new model that is just getting started. The irs on the 15 is definitely the biggest plus, in my book. Either way, our retro style will still be cherished for some time to come.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:08 AM
SqueakyFeet

To everyone saying Ford ripped off Aston for 2015....Aston has taken cues from Ford as well. Look at the 70's Aston Martin V8 Vantage and tell me it doesn't look strikingly similar to a Mustang of the previous decade? This has happened before between Ford and Aston in particular, but also between the big 3 throughout the years. We all know the big 3's muscle cars have the same sweeping body lines for example, just with different proportions and touches.

Let's wait and see where Ford goes with the 2015+ before passing too much judgement. My biggest concern is that the IRS won't be able to handle hard launches on slicks to be honest. I don't want it to be another Camaro, slinging half shafts into the grandstands. Lol. I do think the 2015 will look sexy from behind with some 315's out back though, bulging out of the wheel wells just a little bit
Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Is it too late for Ford to fix the front end of the 2015 Fustang so it looks like a Mustang again?? I mean, if this new styling change is because the Mustang was losing sales to the Camaro before, then Ford is going to be on the fast track to losing sales going forward with the new car. I don't even care anymore. Henceforth, any American motor company that sells out their iconic muscle car heritage I'm done with them. I will glady takes MY money elsewhere. I will not purchase a ricer nor a pig just because it says Mustang on it.

Quick Reply: Comments on the 2015 styling? Here is the thread