Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Comments on the 2015 styling? Here is the thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:25 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

That looks pretty good. Nice wheels too.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:47 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Provide some aero treatments, aggressive spoiler, splitter and hood... This will be a winner in the looks department.

Give it a good set of selectable suspension mods and a strong rear iRS and you'll have a very capable performance car.

Then cram a 5.0 Roadrunner 180° variant with two -twin scroll Turbos and wicked blow offs...

I'm there....

I say 2016-2017 will be the breakout year for the new Stang's.... And all the haters will be like "WTF" .... Where can I order mine?!?!

Or they can remain in their old Stang's and constantly admire the tail end of my s550.

Just Sayin.....

;-)
Old 04-09-2014, 11:39 AM
radioguy1

[QUOTE=

Or they can remain in their old Stang's and constantly admire the tail end of my s550.

[/QUOTE]
That may be the only part of the car that is recognizable as a "relative of the Mustang"
Old 04-09-2014, 08:08 PM
kanetruck
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nathansmith50
Sometimes i see it and don't like it but sometimes i go "holy **** that looks so badass!"

like this for example
I liked (bought) the 2014 better than 2015 but will see what happens in a couple of years, when it's time to upgrade my other car at that time.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by radioguy1
That may be the only part of the car that is recognizable as a "relative of the Mustang"
Respectfully.... Reality check.

Look at every iteration of Mustang ever ... And if you can say the 60's look like the early 70' or the late 70's resemble the early 80's fox bodies or the Sn95's were. Clone of the s197's .....

If you see no differences of significance and heralding a change in styling and a hat tip to the past...

Then my friend you're just in love with what you have and are

1. Lying
2. Clueless
3. Dreaming
4. Complacent
5. All of the above.

If anything .... Forget about the EVOs platform and imagine the only Ford is the Mustang. Then look at the fast backs of yesterday. ....

Then you can talk.

Or just accept you'll still be looking at the tail end of my s550.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:13 PM
DillonInCO
1st Gear Member

LOL at all the nay-sayers in this thread, and on forums in general. Does it look a little more like certain other Ford cars? Sure. But to me, that's a smart move. And I have my qualms with certain parts of the design, but it's growing on me. It's been said in here before, but I'll say it again: I think Ford knows what they're doing. Ford is a company with millions (billions?) of dollars in revenue; they can afford to hire some marketing gurus. Have they made some mistakes in the past? Yes. But it's not the 70s...it's not like we're seeing another Mustang II. Seems like a handful of S197 owners or die-hard old school guys are pissed off, but who cares? They just won't buy one. Thousands of others will, all across the globe. Don't get me wrong, I love both iterations of the S197, but it's had its time. The fact of the matter is that the new Camaro has consistently outsold the Mustang. IMO, it's a better looking (and feeling) car, despite being a heavy pig. And I'm a Ford guy. It was time for some dramatic change. If you ask me, the new design is still plainly a Mustang. But I chose to build a new edge instead of buying a 2013 GT, so what do I know

Last edited by DillonInCO; 04-10-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:00 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

True Dillon, with the top selling car in the world, and more vehicles in the top ten than any other maker foreign or domestic, they got to be doing something right.

The more I look at the 15' the more I see heritage clues throughout the design. it's Mustang all the way through. Is it my cup o' tea? Not sure. I'm an older guy and the retro rocks my world.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:52 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

There are heritage hat tips all over the new s550.... from the stance, form, styling cues. Its definitely a modern interpretation of an iconic car. Its euro styled with a definite Americana flavor. And its definitely planned to be a better performing and more powerful car than the current version...its clearly a big step forward.

More modern and forward thinking amenities, comforts and a form following function design...aerodynamics translates to better fuel efficiency and bang for the buck.

Bring me a voodoo twin turbo 5.0 please.....

---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 04-11-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default 2015 Mustang or a 2dr. Sport Fusion??

Of course, just on old guy's opinion, but the 2015 Mustang looks a two door, sport model of a Ford Fusion! That's very sad! I think it would be silly to not believe that in many ways the 2015 Mustang will be a mechanical improvement, but in my opinion Ford is doing "again" what it did to the Thunderbird by taking a iconic look and making it common looking! Example: Look at a '57 Ford Thunderbird and then look at today's Thunderbird! Todays Thunderbird is castrated, vanilla, soccer mom version of a the original iconic Thunderbird. As one poster said, many will have to look for the Mustang Grill Badge to know it is a Mustang rather than a sport model of a Ford Fusion! The performance may be still there, or even improved, but the high point of the iconic Mustang styling shown in the 1969 through the 2014 models is being gradually bleached out to mediocrity. People don't buy Mustangs for performance alone! It's the styling that sells V6 Mustangs, and Ford is forgetting that! It seems like a "Bean counters" decision based on profits per unit!

Some of you may say, "Ford knows what it is doing!" REALLY! Look how it improved the iconic '57 Thunderbird into this modern jewel! I wonder what a 2012 Thunderbird will be worth in 60 years? I suspect its scrap weight!

Last edited by Mr. D; 04-11-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:41 PM
DillonInCO
1st Gear Member

Isn't this basically the same thing that was said in the other thread?

Anyway, I respectfully disagree. I like the body of the new Mustang. I feel that it's clearly still a Mustang, even if the front end does look different. (But I like the front end on the Fusion, so maybe I'm a bit biased ) Also, I think the S197 was an anomaly---how often do you see retro designs that actually work, especially in the automotive world? Sure, Chevy and Dodge are cashing in on retro themes and brand names too, but they were forced to play "me too" after the success of the S197 design. (Although, to be fair, I think Dodge really started it with the PT Cruiser, or maybe VW with the New Beetle.) I would bet money that the next Camaro's body style is going to be radically different and more in line with the rest of the Chevy brand image. Even the Corvette now has square tail lights. And I have to wonder if Dodge will bother with making another Challenger. Times change.

As for the Thunderbird, I don't get the comparison. In fact, I don't think it's fair to compare at all. By the "Ford is doing it again" logic, does that mean that Ford ruined an icon with the fox and SN95 cars? The '02-'05 Thunderbird was a turd, but IMO, not because of how it looked---to me, it looks a helluva lot like the original. It was a turd because it was a $40K car with a boring interior, not enough power, and poor handling. As for plainness, I want to quote something from the Wikipedia article on the first generation Thunderbird:

"Though inspired by, and positioned directly against, the Corvette, Ford billed the Thunderbird as a personal luxury car, putting a greater emphasis on the car's comfort and convenience features rather than its inherent sportiness."

Sounds pretty soccer-mom-y to me. Plus, apparently the 2nd and 3rd generation T-Birds far outsold the original, and I don't know anyone who considers those designs to be iconic.

Here's a good quote from an April 2003 Gearbox article on the last Thunderbird:

"The obvious question: If the first 'living legend'--the T-Bird--has now flopped, what does it say about Ford's grand strategy of building its brand with a succession of similarly nostalgic Boomer Retro-Cartoons? Instead of producing a parade of warmed-over updates of new car ideas people fondly remember from 40 years ago, why not come up with some new car ideas people will fondly remember 40 years from now?"

I feel the same way, and I think that's what Ford is doing now. I grew up around fox bodies and SN95s, and I love both of those cars, even though the fox was arguably the second-worst Mustang ever made. They were new and different and modern and fast, at least to my young self. I now own a new edge, and I get plenty of admiring stares and compliments every time I'm out in it---not because it looks like the original, but because it's simply a good-looking car. I think 15 years from now, people will see the S550 the same way.

Last edited by DillonInCO; 04-11-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Comments on the 2015 styling? Here is the thread