Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Road & Track, Here are the official 2015 Ford Mustang power and weight numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Found some footage of the 2.3L EB at the track (recorded riding shotgun):

http://wardsauto.com/video/riding-al...5-ford-mustang
Old 07-26-2014, 07:09 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

With 400ft-lbf crank torque for the S550 Coyote, I hope that additional 89lbf increase is not a hindrance.

I hope Ford publishes the entire BHP and crank torque curves so we can see just how much more true power the new Coyote puts out. My hope is that the new Coyote has a much broader torque curve where it holds onto much more torque during a much wider RPM bandwidth. Sure, the peak crank torque is only 10ft-lbf more over the S197 Coyote torque, but if the S550 Coyote torque curve is much broader, that will be a significant improvement when it comes to acceleration, and even also on the road course where the meat of your "power band" (torque band) is available no matter what gear you are in.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:18 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
A PUG is a dog that uses the RUG as his toilet; and I almost forgot, as his toilet paper too!

Funny Commercials Resolve Carpet Cleaner Dog Drag Butt - Demo - YouTube
Pass it around man...don't bogart it.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:02 PM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

Very dissapointed in the v8 numbers.

420 to 435 for an all new body style isn't much to get excited about.

I was blown away at the power increase from 10-11 and granted this isn't a brand new engine, a new body style car should have been an eye opener. They should have atleast outpowered the Camaro and Challenger V8 models. I understand the mustang is lighter and should perform better but I want raw numbers to brag about as well....
Old 08-10-2014, 09:19 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i need a new ecoboost stang
Old 08-11-2014, 07:26 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SD05GT
Very dissapointed in the v8 numbers.

420 to 435 for an all new body style isn't much to get excited about.

I was blown away at the power increase from 10-11 and granted this isn't a brand new engine, a new body style car should have been an eye opener. They should have atleast outpowered the Camaro and Challenger V8 models. I understand the mustang is lighter and should perform better but I want raw numbers to brag about as well....
there are limits to what you can get from a naturally aspirated engine of a given displacement. Coyote is pretty much limited to about 400 lbf-ft without forced induction. making bigger hp numbers means they'd have to push the torque peak higher in the RPM band, at the cost of low- and mid-range performance.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:01 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
there are limits to what you can get from a naturally aspirated engine of a given displacement. Coyote is pretty much limited to about 400 lbf-ft without forced induction. making bigger hp numbers means they'd have to push the torque peak higher in the RPM band, at the cost of low- and mid-range performance.
For making more than 400ft-lbf crank torque from the Coyote with no nitrous or forced induction, it can be done.
The Coyote Aluminator XS crate engine is mass produced by FRPP to produce 500BHP at the crank.

You are correct that to pull bigger BHP, you have to shift the torque curve higher in the RPM bandwidth and sacrifice midrange and lowrange RPMs.
That is the nature of the beast and the Aluminator XS does just than by using the Cobra Jet intake manifold with its shorter intake runner lengths.

However, the XS does not give up too much low and mid range BHP. Surprisingly, it holds onto its torque even at 2000RPM with over 250ft-lbf
The XS is very streetable for an 8000RPM redline engine; this is largely due to the fact that the Cobra Jet manifold has the exact same intake runner lengths as the Boss 302 intake manifold.
By the harmonics of the pressure waves coursing through the intake runners, that means the Cobra Jet intake and Boss intake are tuned to provide their best BHP at around the RPM bandwidths, which is higher than the stock Coyote intake, but still very streetable without a massive sacrifice to low RPM daily driving.

As for breaking 400ft-lbf crank torque, the XS easily does it. Late Model Resto put an XS on the dyno and measured 382ft-lbf at ~5500 RPM at the rear wheels, so assuming 15% drivetrain loss at 5th gear, the XS is producing nearly 450ft-lbf torque at the crank.

http://www.stangtv.com/news/latemode...-crate-engine/
Old 08-11-2014, 07:47 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You get HP mostly in the heads through good flow and good cams so that means the intake has to match as well.
Jack Roush used to build us a 650hp mill from the 5.0 Cammer and it was all naturally aspirated.
Now, of course it was a race engine and it would have to be tune down a bit to be streetable and most importantly, reliable.
I believe it's possible to get 500/550 streetable horsies from the Coyote if someone was willing to engineer it.
The problem is, the market is more prone to boosting rather than getting most gains out of a NA set up.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

NA is the best response in a built up engine, but the cost and time involved quickly puts that car out of reach of most people who are looking for a performance increase. Or prices the typical dealer vehicle out of the market. I know from building up blueprinted engines that the costs can quickly exceed or come very close to the price of the car itself. At which point it makes you consider going for a factory prepared special vehicle. On the other hand if you own a shop and have reliable resources its also very easy to build up a good engine for a lot less than an Aluminator XS is offered as a canned solution. But, most people don't have these resources.

So now that Whipple is offering a 700HP option that can be dealer installed with a 100k warranty in place on top of the new 2015 GT's its going to be extremely interesting to see what will become of the NA offerings of the GT 350 when mated with these Whipple offerings.

If they can go Spartan on the GT350R like the Camaro team did with the z28 and throw out every extra bit of weight ....

If they take the next gen Mustang over the top with a 700HP + option package for just an additional 8k with a 100 k warranty....

If they offer track or drag option fitments with either an IRS or SRA choice ...

This is going to be a very entertaining decade for the American HYPER-Muscle evolution of new cars. Past hero cars...the halo flagships of the American Car makers will no longer matter in our imagination. They will be rendered insignificant. Corvettes and Vipers and GT's will no longer be the big deal they were in our past. Because the Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers will be a better bang for the buck in every category.

Rendering the other legends to become the ride for old farts in retirement or with a serious midlife crisis in effect.

BOOM
---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 08-12-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Mike@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Can't wait to see them on the road!

Quick Reply: Road & Track, Here are the official 2015 Ford Mustang power and weight numbers