Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Sexy Lincoln

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:35 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Genxer
That car could work. Looks cool, it has the gadgets and the status. For some people that's where it ends. Purchasers are not all savvy gear heads.

As far as Acura/Honda yes, lots of similarities. Again more status and gadgets, but to be fair Acura usually offers more HP in their engines vs Honda.
I think it could work too. It's all in the advertising and how well FoMoCo hides that it would be just a rebadged S550 with some cosmetic changes and different tuning.

Toyota has done it for years with Lexus, but too many Toyota enthusiast discovered the fact that the platforms are almost identical save for some tuning, cosmetic upgrades and some badge-specific proprietor changes that could include specific cams, reworked intake, heads, exhaust, choice suspension parts, etc., but nothing too major that could be done to a standard Toyota model to bring it up to a Lexus performance.
The same goes for Honda/Acura and Nissan/Infinity. As a matter of fact, many of Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, and Nissan/Infinity vehicles are just parts swaps away form each other.

Similarly, Chevy is discarding the Holden Zeta platform in 2016 or 2017 to make the new 7th Gen Camaro using the Cadillac Alpha platform seen in the current ATS/CTS.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:37 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Hey, Mustangs and Cougars used to share the same platform...
I say bring back the Cougar!!!
Old 09-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

I have some TL and TSX parts on my Accord, so there are definitely things that bolt up.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:08 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Hey, Mustangs and Cougars used to share the same platform...
I say bring back the Cougar!!!
Bring back Mercury altogether. Give us a 5.0 Capri AWD while we're at it.

Just Saying.

---
Old 09-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
Bring back Mercury altogether. Give us a 5.0 Capri AWD while we're at it.

Just Saying.

---
Why bring back Mercury? So there can be a third branch that sells the same Fords with Mercury badges instead of Ford or Lincoln?

I think the Lincoln Mark 9 or whatever someone stated would work best. Take the S550 platform and elongate it by like 6 or 8 inches and add two doors. Make it a Lincoln. Add a 3.7L Ecoboost motor with 360 HP and call it good. Steering, suspension and other drivetrain components can be Mustang but tuned differently for a more 'luxo performance' model. Kinda like what Pontiac did with the G8 before they went under or that Chrysler does with the Challenger (2door) and Charger/300 (4-door) models.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:38 PM
techno
1st Gear Member

Nice and I don't even like lincolns
Old 09-29-2014, 06:58 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00

I think the Lincoln Mark 9 or whatever someone stated would work best. Take the S550 platform and elongate it by like 6 or 8 inches and add two doors. Make it a Lincoln. Add a 3.7L Ecoboost motor with 360 HP and call it good. Steering, suspension and other drivetrain components can be Mustang but tuned differently for a more 'luxo performance' model. Kinda like what Pontiac did with the G8 before they went under or that Chrysler does with the Challenger (2door) and Charger/300 (4-door) models.
I agree; I don't see why this wouldn't work too, unless the S550 chassis is designed such that it is at its optimal rigidity at its current wheelbase and could not be extended further without sacrificing that rigidity.

As for the 3.7L V6, it does not even need the turbo from the Ecoboost. Just use the DI and I am confident that Ford can pull no less than 350BHP while remaining naturally aspirated.
Chevy was toying with an up-tuned version of their 3.6L direct injected V6, which is direct injected and rumor has it that they pulled 345BHP from it.
Hyndai has a 3.8L direct injected V6 that is also 345-348 BHP and is out on market now.

With such a 350BHP V6 Lincoln using the S550 platform, it would already be close to V8 territory. The old 4.6 3V V8 was only 315BHP, and the Challenger RT is 375BHP from its Hemi V8.
Just going direct injection is enough to put such a Lincoln into that power range.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:17 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Why bring back Mercury? So there can be a third branch that sells the same Fords with Mercury badges instead of Ford or Lincoln?
It would serve to use it as the division that launches riskier versions of proven platforms or uses innovative new performance technology to test live in the consumer segment.

For Example as I mentioned....a 5.0 AWD Capri or Cougar. Something that would be a sacrilege on a Mustang would be acceptable, even welcome on the other platforms.

Basically if they build it...people will buy it. Just like that Lincoln. If it becomes a reality.... people who don't want the same old thing and want something a bit different with all the fun of a Mustang....will buy it.

--
Old 09-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
It would serve to use it as the division that launches riskier versions of proven platforms or uses innovative new performance technology to test live in the consumer segment.

For Example as I mentioned....a 5.0 AWD Capri or Cougar. Something that would be a sacrilege on a Mustang would be acceptable, even welcome on the other platforms.

Basically if they build it...people will buy it. Just like that Lincoln. If it becomes a reality.... people who don't want the same old thing and want something a bit different with all the fun of a Mustang....will buy it.

--
Lincoln could do that without the need to resurrect a dead business division. Not to mention, the whole reason they dumped Mercury in the first place was because of too much crossover between nameplates.

The amount of cash needed to keep an 'experiment' afloat can sink a car company these days. Just because you can and do build it, doesn't mean people will buy it.

Some examples of failed Ford Experiments, again, they can keep this in two name plates instead of an entirely new division with more money to lose:

Lincoln Blackwood Truck (F-150 in 'luxury' attire)
Revamped retro-styled Ford Thunderbird,
Ford probe
Mercury Cougar of early 2000's
Mercury Capri (derived from the now lauded Pinto but meant to be 'sporty')
Ford Flex
Merkur was Ford's experiment at bringing in something with a Euro Flavor in the late 80's early 90's....
Old 10-01-2014, 03:55 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

At the time in question for all your examples.... Innovation was never a process tied in closely with market research group studies. Things are very different nowadays. The proper business model would not see any money thrown at something until they know its a worthwhile return.

Even the most recent Mistakes were made almost entirely from internal decisions and not enough proper group studies from any outside sources. I know this since this is the sector I work in.

The times are changing and clearly the New model Mustang and the leap into the foreign markets isn't driven by internal research divisions within Ford. It's after having done a lot of demographic Market research with information provided by a Partnered group that may even have a bit of funding invested in the concept if brought to market solely because they know it will work.---

Quick Reply: Sexy Lincoln