Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Official: GT350 will have 5.2 liter, 500+ HP flat-plane V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:04 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by waykooljr
A co-worker sent a link to the Ford press release yesterday. Impressive, most impressive!
Dangit, you beat me to the punch to post this link LOL
Old 11-18-2014, 12:14 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eolson

Weight distribution, actual researched and serious track proven suspension upgrade package that is specific for handling and braking like the Z28.

Or will it be another really fast straight line car that when it comes to the figure eight, the slalom, road courses, steering input, and hard fast corners, is still considered slower and front heavy compared to the competition, as has been the case with every new Mustang.
FoMoCo has always placed comfort, NVH, and daily driving over performance.
The GT350 looks like it will not quite measure up to the 2014-current Z/28 as far as handling goes because the GT350 appears to be equipped with all the heavy cushy stuff that is meant for street and not so much track.

If anything, I have very good faith that the GT350 will destroy a ZL1 on the road course handling, but as a pure road course fighter, the Z/28 would still be better.

HOWEVER, I have a very strong suspicion that the GT350 will come in two flavors:
1) The plain GT350 which is analogous to the 2012-2013 Boss. Just like the plain Boss 302, the plain GT350 will be an upgrade for handling, but still more for the street and not so much for the track.
2) The upgraded and truly track dedicated GT350 which is analogous to the Boss Laguna Seca (will this GT350 be called GT350 R? GT350 Laguna Seca? GT350 Nurbergring?)

If my guess is correct, the GT350-R, GT350 Laguna Seca, GT350 Nurbergering, (or whatever they will call it) will be the Mustang that takes down the Z/28.
A blog somewhere said that the GT350 development team used the Z/28, BMW M4, and other cars of that caliber, as benchmarks to beat.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 11-18-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:28 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JFitz
If they've designed a flat plane crank V8 for this then would it not make sense for them to use that design and expand it as their top model engine? Raptor gets this and the twin turbo 6, Supercharged and roided out for the GT500, swap kit for my Mom's Taurus...what?
flat plane V8s have the same second order vibration that 4-cylinders do. It would be too rough for general use; the GT350 is OK because racecar.

I should probably be more curious about other things but my first question is what are they doing with the exhaust? I mean, other flat crank V8's get pretty twisty.

that's not actually a flat-plane V8, it's a normal cross-plane with "180 degree" headers.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eolson
Looks awesome. I certainly hope they take each item as seriously for performance as GM has done. Engine is no brainer with Ford.

Weight distribution, actual researched and serious track proven suspension upgrade package that is specific for handling and braking like the Z28.

Or will it be another really fast straight line car that when it comes to the figure eight, the slalom, road courses, steering input, and hard fast corners, is still considered slower and front heavy compared to the competition, as has been the case with every new Mustang.

I will certainly buy the car if they can pull it off, and happily let my lighter, faster, less front heavy current 06' car go. Erik

The Major difference will be this Mustang will be setup to enjoy it as a daily driven .... racecar with the grunt and power desired and the amenities of function coupled with luxuries Vs the Z28 which is an extremely stripped out spartan racecar for an obscene amount of money for what you get in return.

If you want good music in the Z28 you're wearing headphones jacked into an mp3 player in your shirt pocket, not to mention not caring about the comfort your passenger has to endure. No AC... not for me.

You also have to consider the linear response you'll be treated to by having all that power in a normally aspirated engine. Much more predictable than the boost curves you get with a supercharged Z28.

And if you want to prove a point you can simply make the decision to strip it down as spartan as the Z28. then show how an engineered for performance blue oval car will hold up against a tweaked to perform parts bin bow tie car.

just saying...

--
Old 11-18-2014, 03:43 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
If you want good music in the Z28 you're wearing headphones jacked into an mp3 player in your shirt pocket, not to mention not caring about the comfort your passenger has to endure. No AC... not for me.
6 speaker audio system and A/C is a $1200 option but it is available on the Z/28

You also have to consider the linear response you'll be treated to by having all that power in a normally aspirated engine. Much more predictable than the boost curves you get with a supercharged Z28.
The Z/28 uses the N/A LS7 from the C6 ZO6.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:18 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Much more predictable than the boost curves you get with a supercharged Z28.
PNYXPRESS is correct. The Z/28 does not come with a supercharged engine. It comes only with a NA 7.0L engine.
For road course tracks, NA is the way to go to eliminate heat soak.

The ZL1 is the Camaro you are thinking about. It comes with the supercharged 6.2L LSA engine.
The guys at Camaro5.com are accusing the new GT350 of being a "rehash of the ZL1. 15" rotors on alum. hubs, mag ride, all the creature comforts, IRS etc..."
Of course, being without a supercharger, most likely lighter, and probably with a more stable footprint, the GT350 I predict will leave the ZL1 in the dust very easily on road courses.

The real question will be how well the GT350 will do against it's rumored target, the Camaro Z/28?
Old 11-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Wait, Let me get this straight.....

They Charge 90k for a stripped out gutted Camaro with Carbon Ceramic brakes (which BTW are not Track Ready equipment), Really FAT tires on all 4 corners and no AC ... then want $1200 more to put a factory stereo back in it? REALLY?

Oh and wait for it... they put a push rod engine in it and NO SUPERCHARGER????

Ummm what's the big deal there? So I can get a Corvette for half that price.... And now a GT 350.

I don't know what the bow tie heads are thinking, but if they feel for a consumer marketed vehicle with a history of being attainable performance for the working man is a value at 90K? they must be smoking crack.

I think if the GT350 comes in at the price point of the former GT 500 then the value for my money is there. And guess what... can drive it all year round, enjoy an AC in the summer and amenities that don't make normal people sit in my car and say where the f@ck is everything? Because the only people who'll say wow to getting what apears to be far less for far more money are retards. Or People who only drive on a track and have 90K to burn on a car that can't really race at the majority of sanctioned events equipped with those brakes anyway.

It's not a supercar ... its a Camaro. For 90K? Seriously I don't care how good it is around a track... its missing everything else the rest of us tend to pay for in a car.

It wouldn't be the first time Chevy made a big stupid mistake. I remember a Chevy Cobalt Redline.... NOT.

Hmmmm
--

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 11-19-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:14 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The z/28 is also covered under warranty for any failures that occur on the race track, as long as it isn't from a collision.

It was designed to complete against the boss 302R as a turn key racecar that is also street legal.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:31 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
The z/28 is also covered under warranty for any failures that occur on the race track, as long as it isn't from a collision.

It was designed to complete against the boss 302R as a turn key racecar that is also street legal.
Ummmm...

I could get 2 Boss 302 LS for the price of a Z28 with a stereo.

And still have an AC.

And Now perhaps a GT 350 and a GT premium or an Ecoboost for the price of a Z28.

Also I believe the Boss 302 LS was off the floor qualified for more events than the Z28 off the floor. The Brakes alone disqualify the Z28 for Most events that are really worth mentioning. Unless an open track day event is all you want to be a part of... You'll have to scrap those Carbon Ceramic brakes for something that is allowed. which is likely 30% of your investment in that Z28 down the toilet.

Basically you need to pay even more to downgrade the brake package just to qualify for many sanctioned track events.

So as far as a race ready car....The Z28 sort of falls short of the mark.

If anything Chevy built the Z28 to prove to themselves and their fanboys they can beat the Boss 302. But at 90K for a really stripped down car with non track ready brakes did they really prove anything? Most of the audience that was buying the Z28's back in the day can't afford the Z28 of today. Sort of counter-intuitive to what it represented.

Now if the Boss 302 comes any where near the track time of the Z28 for a significant amount less money... Who really wins????

Do we really need to think about that one.

Its a Flat Plane Crank for Christ's sake. Its a game changer. And again out the showroom doors its more track ready for more events than a Z28. What is there to brag about if you show up at the track just to sit on the sidelines with your Z28 to watch all the Mustangs compete with the ZL1's?

What a waste.

Yup I said it.
---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 11-19-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:37 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I don't think you understand the concept of the z/28 and the 302R

The 302R is a race only serialized car from Ford for IMSA CTSC racing.

the z/28 is a street car that is race ready for IMSA with just a simple brake rotor change and cage install.

Yes for the price of a z/28 you could buy two Boss LS or GT350, however, to make either of those cars legal for imsa it will cost a lot more than if you bought a $90K z/28 or $120K 302R ready to go.

Im sure that with the release of the GT350 street car there will be a Ford Racing variant that will be in the $120k range similar with the introduction of the fr500 mustangs.

Ford is, I believe, the only manufacturer, other than Porsche, in the IMSA series that sells a complete racecar where all you have to do is buy it and race it. All the other car makes start as a street car and get modified by the teams. Hence why the Fords are more expensive.

Quick Reply: Official: GT350 will have 5.2 liter, 500+ HP flat-plane V8