Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Official: GT350 will have 5.2 liter, 500+ HP flat-plane V8

Old 11-22-2014, 07:58 PM
13V6coupe
I drive a V6 because I'm a giant wimp

Originally Posted by eolson
Looks awesome. I certainly hope they take each item as seriously for performance as GM has done. Engine is no brainer with Ford.

Weight distribution, actual researched and serious track proven suspension upgrade package that is specific for handling and braking like the Z28.

Or will it be another really fast straight line car that when it comes to the figure eight, the slalom, road courses, steering input, and hard fast corners, is still considered slower and front heavy compared to the competition, as has been the case with every new Mustang.

I will certainly buy the car if they can pull it off, and happily let my lighter, faster, less front heavy current 06' car go. Erik
My sentiments exactly
Old 11-22-2014, 08:08 PM
13V6coupe

You guys do realize a flat plane crank is not anything new. Pretty much every V8 car up until the 70's had a flat plane crank
every I4 has a flat plane crank

While yes there is some additional vibration issues to work out, and the exhaust. A flat plane crank is lighter and stronger, thus its ability to rev higher, quicker.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:15 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13V6coupe
You guys do realize a flat plane crank is not anything new. Pretty much every V8 car up until the 70's had a flat plane crank

While yes there is some additional vibration issues to work out, and the exhaust. A flat plane crank is lighter and stronger, thus its ability to rev higher, quicker.
That 2nd order harmonic can be a bee-otch. In in-line fours, at least the vibration is only up and down. If our engines were inline 8 cyl, they would also only be up and down vibrations.

On a V8, a portion of that vibration becomes vectored side to side.
I am guessing on a flat plan crank V8, the up and down vibrations would be around 75% of what it would be if the engine were inline. That means about 25% of that second order vibration would translated into lateral vibration.

Someone bust out a calculator and either confirm or make a liar out of me.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 11-22-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:17 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
That 2nd order harmonic can be a bee-otch. In in-line fours, at least the vibration is only up and down. If our engines were inline 8 cyl, they would also only be up and down vibrations.

On a V8, a portion of that vibration becomes vectored side to side.
I am guessing on a flat plan crank V8, the up and down vibrations would be around 75% of what it would be if the engine were inline. That means about 25% of that second order vibration would translated into lateral vibration.

Someone bust out a calculator and either confirm or make a liar out of me.
for a 90 degree engine, the 2nd-order vibration in the Z (vertical) plane goes up by the square root of two, so roughly 1.414 times more intense. the mild rocking couple of an I4 will cancel.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:26 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13V6coupe
this is false. On the domestic side, only the very first V8s from Cadillac and Peerless had a flat plane crank. in 1924 they switched to cross plane. The Ford flathead V8 was crossplane from the start, as was pretty much every single other one from that point forward save for Ferrari and some smaller, boutique manufacturers.

the exhaust and intake setup is actually easier on a flat-plane engine since you no longer have consecutive firing events on the same bank.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

I'm Curious to know..If any of you following this Thread are going to buy this variant of the Mustang GT 350 or if you're going to hold out for the rumored Mach 1 with a twin turbo FPC?

---
Old 11-24-2014, 03:11 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
I'm Curious to know..If any of you following this Thread are going to buy this variant of the Mustang GT 350 or if you're going to hold out for the rumored Mach 1 with a twin turbo FPC?

---
If you hold out for rumored vehicles you will never have a vehicle to enjoy.

Plus there has been a rumored Mach 1 return with every refresh since the '04.

I will believe it when Ford puts out an official release.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:03 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround

---
I find the GT350 interesting but it's probably going to be too rich for my blood. $30-35k is about the limit I'll sign for on a car. it's one reason I dropped my plans to get a S550 GT Convertible next year; they're only offering convertibles with premium trim levels so it would cost me over $40k to get one the way I want.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:44 PM
13V6coupe

Originally Posted by jz78817
this is false. On the domestic side, only the very first V8s from Cadillac and Peerless had a flat plane crank. in 1924 they switched to cross plane. The Ford flathead V8 was crossplane from the start, as was pretty much every single other one from that point forward save for Ferrari and some smaller, boutique manufacturers.

the exhaust and intake setup is actually easier on a flat-plane engine since you no longer have consecutive firing events on the same bank.
My apologies, I meant 20's..... I was going off this article

"In its simplest form, it is basically two straight-4 engines sharing a common crankshaft. However, this simple configuration, with a single-plane crankshaft, has the same secondary dynamic imbalance problems as two straight-4s, resulting in vibrations in large engine displacements. As a result, since the 1920s most V8s have used the somewhat more complex crossplane crankshaft with heavy counterweights to eliminate the vibrations. This results in an engine which is smoother than a V6, while being considerably less expensive than a V12 engine. Most racing V8s continue to use the single plane crankshaft because it allows faster acceleration and more efficient exhaust system designs"

fricking brain doesn't always move my fingers as fast as my thoughts or my thoughts don't catch up to my fingers...either way--sorry for the mistake
Old 11-24-2014, 09:03 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
I find the GT350 interesting but it's probably going to be too rich for my blood. $30-35k is about the limit I'll sign for on a car. it's one reason I dropped my plans to get a S550 GT Convertible next year; they're only offering convertibles with premium trim levels so it would cost me over $40k to get one the way I want.
Aww just get the convertible, it's not that Mustangs are more expensive, it's that everything is more expensive, be happy you only live once, and top down is such a nice feeling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official: GT350 will have 5.2 liter, 500+ HP flat-plane V8